greetings

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~kimi~

Reaction score
Just a little note to say HI, 
I have decided that I want to live as a nomad. Just over a month ago I came across a YouTube vid from a young girl living in her car, I was intrigued so continue to listen to her vids on a binge and eventually came across Bob's channel. 
Since then have been researching, learning, listening to a variety of people non-stop.. kinda obsessively :))))
Anyhoo it is so great to have a new direction in my life! Learning different ways of living is very exciting. I have never 'fit-in' to societal ways very well but honestly never thought there was another way for me. SO THANK YOU for sharing all these priceless vid's and info. 
I have lived in the Finger Lakes NY most of my life, have always loved nature and have great respect for her. 
As my ability to maintain this home has dwindled and heartbreakingly working to close up my beloved garden this fall, I am learning to accept the changes... but I have no desire to sit here and twidle my thumbs :)))
My heart is set on converting a cargo trailer (hell, I already drew up the plans) Then I hear that is not a good idea for traveling to west... so then I look at other option and my heart sinks. So I am confused.
Hopefully I can find some support here in hopes to filling my new dream.
with much love an respect... hope to see you all on the road ~kimi~

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Wecome Kimi!

Each vehicle type or combination of has it's own pro's and cons'. And for each person, those P & Cs are different.

Towing a cargo trailer is not inherently bad no matter where you are in the continent. BUT I towed one all across Canada this summer and truthfully, am really happy to park it again. If you're  using it for living space it's great IF you need that much additional space or want a pick up truck for other purposes. For me, having to regularly figure out where to park  it and making sure I had turning radius in gas stations/parking lots and the lower gas mileage just wouldn't be worth it to me. But then I live quite happily in the space of a full size van. It has everything I need and nothing I don't!

Keep searching here, make your own list of what you see a pro's and con's and go from there. Check with all of us for our thoughts on the matter and weigh them against your own instincts and needs. It's not something you want to rush in to because with Murphy at your side, whatever you choose first, if you rush it, will end up being less or more than what you really need.

Thanks for reply 

What you said are my concerns... parking, extra gas, and just literally being a PIA... I am in the initial stages 
Being a virgo I research every detail on everything... sometimes to my own detriment because I will become stuck in the planning. My must haves are seemingly impossible without the trailer, so the past few days I have been trying to figure out if I could live in a van.... I feel defeated and let down.

How can I reply without reposting your reply??

Hit 'new reply' down at the bottom.

If you hit the 'reply' button inside the post area it picks up the quote. If you want to quote more than one previous post use the 'quote' button.

The mods remind us all regularly to trim quotes as much as possible and to only use them when necessary. If you're replying to the post directly before you post then there is no need to quote it at all.

Almost There
thank you for the posting info, I was wondering the same thing but didn't want to sound like a dumb ass even though I was.
casper.

BTW... Almost There...
love your saying about worry
I have a fav... 
Worry is the price paid for services not rendered :)

Welcome kimi, my wife and I are newbies too, and have found the people here to be spectacular when comes to helping us out.
casper, and the better ghost.

~kimi~ said:
I have lived in the Finger Lakes NY most of my life, have always loved nature and have great respect for her. 
As my ability to maintain this home has dwindled and heartbreakingly working to close up my beloved garden this fall, I am learning to accept the changes... but I have no desire to sit here and twidle my thumbs :)))

Welcome Kimi.  OH, how I love the Finger Lakes.  I've traveled and camped all through there.  Are you more in Jemima Wilkinson's territory, the wine trail, Ithaca's beautiful area falls or more in the Chautauqua west?   You are in my summer territory.  I left there too soon this summer. 

I'm an eastern Nomad, from FL to NY state and currently in FL.  So glad to meet you and would love to see your conversion when you get it done.  You can get a newer rig for less when you do that and then you can outfit it to your taste.  Great choice.

Great to meet you!

WELL... We are still enjoying an Indian summer. Have yet to stoke up this boiler LOL. My house was built in 1998 ish... old brick home and i really do appreciate and love it. I live on the tip of Seneca Lake, would have loved to live in Ithaca... but can not afford. I love this area and the Adirondacks where i went every summer for most of my life. I really want to get a taste for some dry heat, as my bones grow old and without the woodstove now i really feel it.. Been looking at some cool conversion vans, there is one in particular... but have not bit the bullet yet... I have awhile before I can be mobile so just dippin my feet. YES wine country all around me... I love this place <3

oh my.. this ole home was built  in 1898ish hahaha

~kimi~ said:
WELL... We are still enjoying an Indian summer. Have yet to stoke up this boiler LOL. My house was built in 1998 ish... old brick home and i really do appreciate and love it. I live on the tip of Seneca Lake, would have loved to live in Ithaca... but can not afford. I love this area and the Adirondacks where i went every summer for most of my life. I really want to get a taste for some dry heat, as my bones grow old and without the woodstove now i really feel it.. Been looking at some cool conversion vans, there is one in particular... but have not bit the bullet yet... I have awhile before I can be mobile so just dippin my feet. YES wine country all around me... I love this place <3

It's simply beautiful there.  Yes, Seneca lake is awesome.  I liked Ithaca too.  So much to do there.  Lots of places to camp nearby, so you possibly could afford Ithaca in your new lifestyle (in summer).  Loved the Moosewood Restaurant there, and I'm not a vegetarian and really not that wild about veggies, but wow, they taste pretty good there.

Good luck on the van search and your toe dipping!   Enjoy your Indian summer!!

I know !!! there are many places to rest here... Taughannock Falls,  [size=xx-large]Watkins Glen... and many many more I know of off the beaten path. And as you said... my new life... without burden of mortgage I can. So nice to talk to someone that knows how beautiful it is here ::) Lest not we forget all the wonderful music... Trumansburg (go rusted root) to all the festivals... tooo much to say. Right now I am eating some serious APPLES :)[/size]

Hi Kimi-
Let me join Wasanah in agreeing that your part of our state is so beautiful, I love it. Been up to Seneca and Ithaca and yes, just incredible...

I live downstate from you in Manhattan but grew up always having our summer house between Woodstock and Phoenicia in the Catskill Mountains. Nothing but beautiful memories there, that I renew while visiting every summer and fall.

Now, onto to RV living issues you brought up... (cargo vs. van vs. everything else)....if it makes you feel any better at all, I meet up with another NYC person who is still in the planning/dreaming stages like me,  and we discuss our eventual plan to get mobile, if not for our indecision about what to get!

We both laugh at our back and forth mental processes, which seem to become particularly active late at night while trying to fall asleep: "RV might be better.......Nah, bad gas mileage. A sprinter van! Yes, That will get 17 mpg!"....falls asleep....

Next night, "A van will feel too claustrophobic and who really wants to have room only for 2 pairs of jeans and 3 T-shirts for the rest of time anyway? ..maybe an SUV pulling a cargo trailer...."

Next night, "Nah...too difficult towing and unhitching a cargo trailer...maybe hire a driver and get a giant Class A..." (ok, I was kidding there, and besides, we haven't won Lotto yet!) 

But you get the idea....it's hard to pin down what one really wants or needs. But-- the good news is, at least there are options, which to my mind is way better than the alternative. Amazingly, I am actually starting to feel myself narrowing down the choices. 

Glad you're enjoying the Indian Summer...I was walking a beach in the Hamptons a few hours ago, wearing only a tank top and shorts, barefoot, too....Let's savor it while it lasts. 

Happy to have another New Yorker here....Welcome, Kimi!

Thanks Flower Girl... yup!!! You nailed it.
I am overwhelmed. I try not thinking about it but What kind of vehicle I get has been dominating my life. I agree too many choices are better then not enough... I really wish I could just get a van throw in a bed and be happy, but I know I will not be. I love to sew and I love to cook/bake and I have always been a gardener which I must give up, but I am clausraphobic and hate confined spaces especially when sleeping, so I feel the van life is not for me. I do admire those that find happiness living in them and really respect the minimalist lifestyle that people live. I have considered a high top but hard to find around here (well one I can afford). 
I really like the idea of a self contained vehicle, so been looking at step vans/box trucks. I know that will provide enough space and really look forward to building one to suit. 
maybe this is just becoming way to confusing. ::)ope you are well would love to hear what you decide and why//  or why not! need all the help and advice i can get. much love... ~kimi~

What about a Class C Kimi? Plenty of room in one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Cammalu I know I would love one!!! 21 - 24 ft max. I here so many bad things about how cheaply they are made and so expensive to fix... But I think a Class C would be a perfect vehicle for me <3