Greetings from not-far-enough-away-from Portland, OR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDX1953

Reaction score
Hello - 

I live about  40 miles West of Portland, OR & am in the very early stages of looking for a cargo trailer to convert. I've met and follow "We're The Russos" on YouTube & they're a young couple who ditched their corporate jobs & have been full-timers for about 2 years now. At age 64 I never thought I'd want to become a full time vagabond but Joe & Kait have convinced me that it can be done at almost any age. 

I've watched countless YouTube videos about stealth RVs, bus conversions, people living in shoeboxes with wheels and nearly everything else related to being homeless on purpose. I have some specific requirements about what I need and once I figured out that living in my Ford Flex wouldn't work for me I decided to look for a 6' x 8' - 10' cargo trailer. I had polio when I was 6 so there are some physical capability issues to think about but in the next couple of weeks I'll be receiving a custom wheelchair seat mechanism from Greece that mounts to a Segway base. Nobody in the US builds anything like it and while I can walk on flat, even surfaces I have to be super careful on uneven terrain. My new chair will give nearly as much freedom as an ATV but it can be quickly disassembled  and will fit in the back of my Flex. A fully converted 8x10 cargo trailer will most likely cost $1500 - $2000 less than the wheelchair but I'm up for the adventure.

If there's anyone in my general area (Forest Grove, Hillsboro, etc) or anywhere on the coast near Florence, OR with RV conversion experience I'd love to hear from you. Also, if anyone is aware of a nice conversion trailer for sale I'd like to speak to you.

Welcome to the CRVL forums PDX1953!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.