Greetings from Montucky!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackNBlue

Reaction score
Howdy!

What a GREAT site Bob put together! I've spent the last week or two reading all the articles and a bunch of forum posts. Looks like a pretty decent community here, too, so I got inspired to join.

My story is typical (maybe even cliched) in some ways, unique in others. Seven years ago, I got laid off from my Silicon Valley tech job, and ended up pressing my restomodded BMW wagon into service as a micro-RV. I ended up living and traveling in that car for about a year, everywhere from Florida to the Northwest Territories, slept in all kinds of weather from AZ in June to interior BC in January... got completely hooked on the lifestyle but quickly realized the car's shortcomings.

A couple of years later, I decided to keep the Motorized Nomad lifestyle, but to do it right. Take Two was an old Toyota 4x4 with a scratch-built aluminum box on the back. The idea was to sacrifice what I didn't need in Take One (the ability to go well over 200kph), keep what I liked (decent fuel economy and car-like size and ride comfort), and fix what didn't work (heat, insulation, bad/off-road ability, cooking facilities). I went to great lengths to make highly detailed plans involving riveted aluminum framing, weight distribution calculations, hours poring over technical details of various alloys for the frame and the skin... and five years later, never managed to have a stable enough workspace to actually build it. I did end up doing a partial frame-off restoration on the truck, but right now it's just a truck with a shell on the bed.

In addition to enjoying mobility, I've struggled with stable and affordable housing for years, and things came to a head a month or two ago. I got a fresh burst of energy towards trying to meet my need for shelter without relying on ridiculous rental markets, so here I am with Take Three: an old step van that I am picking up this weekend. In this iteration, I am sacrificing grocery-getting size and economy, off/bad-road ability, and focussing on having as much space as I can reasonably move around and park. Having a ready-made box with flat walls is a big part of the decision as well - I figure this summer is more than enough time to install heat and insulation, and I can finish the rest of the interior at leisure later on.

Wish me luck, and stay tuned for a build thread!

Welcome aboard the forums BlackNBlue.
We've had some interesting step van builds here if you need any inspiration/ideas but a new perspective would be cool to watch too.........Build On/Post Up !

Welcome to the CRVL forums BlackNBlue! Looking forward to updates and pictures of your build!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hello and welcome from Ohio! Sounds like you have had some great experiences and adventures. Looking forward to your Take Three project.

there are a few of us on here that are stepvan fans, lets see what you got to work with. pictures please. welcome
ps my step van does 140kph but not for long and not because it likes to. Is the trans Labrador hwy considered a rough road, 1000km of gravel

The one I'm picking up supposedly is geared for 50, 55mph tops. It has a Ford 300 and probably doesn't have the power to go much faster even if I regear it. Eventually I want to swap in a diesel.

I've never even been inside a moving stepvan. How's yours to drive? Is it comparable to a similar truck?

50 55 that is the speed I like to travel at, I can do 70 indicated but it is screaming, needs regearing. Mine is 10 feet behind seat on a 1 ton gmc chasse with a 292 chevy six, 3 speed automatic single rear wheels, it fits in a regular parking spot, it is very easy to manage in and around town, very maneuverable, It goes ok at 50 55mp, any faster she gets a bit busy. They are fun to drive, especially with the doors open, you must be present, so driving for many hours a day is not something you want to do unless you have to and have the energy, I find around 300 miles my limit. That 300 ford six is legendary very good engine. I too would like to have a diesel preferably a Cummings 4bt , however that is not likely going to happen unless the 292 fails. The only downside to the diesel is the noise and being an alluminium step van that is going to be one of your challenges to get the noise level down even without the diesel, the quieter you can get the van the easier it will be to drive for long distances, I use earplugs sometimes.

Well, I'm the proud owner of a 1973 P400. The body and engine are in great shape. The frame is surface rusty but intact. The transmission had a nasty leak when I picked it up; I fixed the leak but it makes a concerning amount of noise. I've driven it about 100 miles around Seattle, have yet to drive back as I'm busy reading about the NP435 transmission and just how noisy and strong they're supposed to be. I forgot my camera, but there will be photos of this great white beast before too long... hopefully safe and sound back in Montana, not puking trans guts all over some desolate stretch of I-90... eek...

Montana is my favorite state by far -- I had wondered about the "Montucky" heading???

If you're doing the interior there, at least you won't have to do it in 100 degree heat this summer unless you're out on the eastern plains.

Common slang for Montana, it seems. It did hit 100F a few times last summer, though very dry. I had a gig assembling ag equipment outdoors, and would go through about 3 gallons of water a day.