Great STUFF Foam

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trekking

Reaction score
Have you folks used it to film the small and hard to reach gaps. If so you used the yellow one that dries firm or the white one the is spongy.

I've used both, but prefer the yellow for most applications.
Its about the only thing that will stick to RV (poly) holding tanks ;)

I've used it vertically and under things by using a piece of window screen taped into place to keep the foam from drooping and falling off.
Be careful...the material is messy and sticky as can be.

They named it right, Great Stuff :D

I am not a fan of it, where metal is concerned.

I'd added it around my windshield, where my fiberglass roof meets the Metal Skin and used it to fill some gaps in that area.

Rust was not a huge issue in that area until I did that, and it is bad. I spent hours and hours digging it out with various tools and every piece took some of the rust with it.

036copy_zps57f419e1.jpg

I think someone here talked to a Greatstuff tech and they said that if the foam was not allowed to fully expand it would remain corrosive to metal.

NO doubt moisture intrusion exacerbated my issue, but I'd recommend not using it on metal, or even painted metal surfaces, especially if the possibility exists that they can get wet.

The moisture/metal thought makes a lot of sense.
I've also noticed thick applications take a few days to cure. I can imagine that would aid in corrosion as well.
So, a foil moisture barrier might be used against the steel inside. (?)

that great stuff is open cell foam which means it absorbs water like a sponge and holds it. isn't there a thread on here about this very subject. highdesertranger

I hate the stuff.

It is hard to clean up after. If you use too much of it, it will distort the item being sealed. It eats into plastic and metal. It melts into a saw blade, and ruins them when you have to cut into the surface coated. (Especially wood!)

If you insist on using it, put down a thick plastic barrier between what you want to seal. That way you can remove it much easier. When we used it on specialty cooling coils, we would use a thick plastic bag to cover the copper so if the factory ever had to do repairs, (US!) we could do them much easier.