Greasy Propane Stove-HEEEELP!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Hibiscus

Reaction score
Hi, before i mess up my stove I wanted to know if anyone has any ideas / experience cleaning a greasy 2 burner propane stove? I am i a  hotel currently and been using it frequently (I love to cook) but noticed its gotten very greasy. I am considering running the shower water to the max and remove the shower head so I can run the hose and maybe with the power of the pressure all that grease will come off? should i cover the burner or leave it and spray it with hot water then leave it to dry completely? I can put the stove right in front of the heater at full blast for an hour and let it all dry? Should I cover the connection where the small propane cylinder tank goes? 

Signed 

Homeless with a mission.

Mr Hibiscus said:
Hi, before i mess up my stove I wanted to know if anyone has any ideas 
Hello Mr Hibiscus! An hoping you have not showered your stove yet. Be sure to keep the burners dry, so not a water wash. 

I clean my two burner stove every day with paper towel wipe. Start out using a dry paper towel to soak up grease. When all grease has been wiped off, then use a drop or two of liquid soap on your paper towel just barely damp and buff the areas that still have grease film. Also clean under and around burners. You will go through partial roll of paper towells about 50 cents.   -crofter

How does someone who loves to cook not know how to clean up?

MrNoodly said:
How does someone who loves to cook not know how to clean up?
MrNoodly, if you ever get to taste my meals you'll want to sit back and do nothing after. I put's a lot of love in my cooking.

Two different skill sets.  Good to have both, and learning is why some of us are here.  Cleaning as you go is, IMO, easiest.  Since you are well past that stage, you might consider a degreasing product.  I don't have much experience with that.  Can anyone advise?

If it's burned on, an orangy brown color, a cheap but effective way is to use clear ammonia mixed with water, wet SOS pads with it and scrub. I also strongly suggest you do this outside and if you are chemical sensitive, wear a mask. I use this method with oven racks and it has worked better than anything else.

Good luck!

cold degreasers that aren't full of nasty chemicals are non-existent. at least I never found or heard of one. if you can safely heat the stove up you can clean it a lot easier. the best 2 products I have found are Simply Green or Dawn Dish soap but these both work 100x better with heat. neither one of those will work the first time if what you are trying to degrease is cold, you must clean it over and over.

now if you don't care about nasty chemicals then there are plenty of products but most will also take the paint off. Easy Off oven cleaner comes to mind as an easy obtainable product.

highdesertranger

For the sake of convenience head to a hardware store or some place such as Target, Walmart or of course Amazon. Buy a plastic tubs of Cooktop wet wipes. They are made for cleaning up that greasy mess on cooktops, which means no need to put the stove into the shower or trying to do it in the sink. No running water or soap needed. Just wipe and toss the dirty wipe into the garbage can. Never flush them, they do not come apart the way toilet paper does and they will block the sewer pipes.

Wet wipe type of products exist for all kinds of cleanup chores, greasy hands, latex paint, oil based paint, cleaning ovens, disinfecting surfaces, window washing, computer and TV screen cleaning and of course baby bottoms. I recently bought a tub of wet wipes made for paint cleanup because I was working at a place where I had no access to a sink for cleanup. They were absolutely amazing, took off every little bit of the Rustoleum enamel paint off my hands and off some of the tools I was using.