Gray Tank Drainage Parts

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmaddy

Reaction score
I'm working on a cargo trailer conversion (though this applies to any vehicle I think). I will be mounting a gray tank underneath. It has a 1-1/2" outlet. I'm trying to find what I need from there that will allow me to drain the gray water properly.

I know I need some sort of valve (such as the Valterra waste valve) attached to my tank. And then some sort of hose that I can connect to the valve at my trailer when I need to drain the tank. The part I need help with is knowing what sort of connectors I need to deal with. In other words, what do I need from the 1-1/2" valve attached to my gray tank to whatever some hose gets connected to at the drain/hook-up site?

Let's say I'm at a typical campground with full hookups. What connectors allow my gray tank setup to connect to the campground's system?

Let's say I've been boondocking for a bit and I need to go somewhere to drain my gray tank. What connections do I need typically at places that let RVs/campers drain gray tanks?

Most of what I've found so far seems to relate to 3" hoses for black water tanks, not 1-1/2" for gray tanks.

Thanks

The 3" hose is for both black and grey water. The grey water line is converted to a 3" line and Y'd into the black drain after the valves. Go to a store that carries the hoses (Walmart?) and you will see what the connections are. You will also need a 90 degree elbow to put on the end of the hose for placing in the dump station.

Thanks but I only have a gray tank, no black tank. But it sounds like you are saying that the dump station and RV hook-up all have a 3" connection. Correct?

That is correct. You will need the 3" pieces to connect to dump stations.

If you could find a 1 1/2" hose, you could just drop the end in the dump port, might stink pretty bad though when your inrush causes air to escape. I don't know if there are any regulations on this either. Be sure to put a vent stack on the tank.

After a bunch of searching I think I have a workable plan. I'm going to use the Valterra waste valve that terminates with 1.5" male pipe threads. When needed, I can use the Valterra Gray Water Drain Connector that allows you to attach a standard 3/4" water hose to the 1.5" threads. This allows me to drain the gray tank through the hose.

When I need to hook-up to a typical sewage drain and I want a better seal, I can use something like the Camco RV Gray-Water Drain Adapter w/ Seal. Or I can get one of those 4-in-1 sewer adapter elbows combined with the Valterra Gray Water Drain Adapter for RV Black Water Waste Valve. Either of those two setups should let me connect to most sewer hook-ups using a plain 3/4" hose.

Latest posts