GPS App Questions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firebuild

Reaction score
I know there are a bunch of threads about GPS already (I searched), but they are either about stand-alone GPS units or they're old, and as we know technology changes fast. 

I recently ran into some trouble using good old Google Maps and Apple Maps. I'm new to my tallish bus (9'6"), and without thinking too hard about it I followed the robot directions, which landed me on Storrow Drive in Boston (clearance: 10'). This is too close for comfort!

I found a few different apps (iOS) that allow you to specify vehicle size and restrictions, but they don't seem to be great navigation-wise. For example, I can't just say "Walmart" like I do with Google and Apple and be directed to one nearby; if I don't have the street address, the app has no clue. And even navigating to places I DO have the address for doesn't work great.

Then again, Google Maps took me straight into 127 degree heat in Death Valley on a simple trip from Los Angeles to Utah, so... they're all pretty flawed, I know. Just trying to find one that's decent that will help me avoid getting peeled open like a can of sardines on some bridge.  

Any suggestions? I'm willing to pay if it's great - but not if it isn't, and of course I'd prefer great AND free. (When I was in the film business, we used to say, "Good - Fast - Cheap: pick two." 'Cause you'll never get all three.)