Gotta Start Somewhere

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qinomad

Reaction score
After raising a couple of fine human beings and downsizing for years, it's just me and my dog now. My lease is up soon and I've decided to not renew. I live in a midwestern, urban area and don't currently have a car. 

I am determined to pack up what little I have that actually brings me joy in life, and drive towards the Southwest in April.

After years of considering and researching this lifestyle, my current assessment is:

• I won't really know if I'll like it until I try it.
  • Better to start where I'm at than keep endlessly analyzing, planning, and day dreaming.
  • No matter where I start (van, RV, barebones, or built out), I'll learn and want to change up at some point.
  • I can only learn so much on forums and youtube. I have to get out and get hands on experience. I'll be learning every day and night that I'm out on the road.
I am days to weeks away from buying something on a very limited budget. Looking mostly at cargo vans, the more under $10k the better, preferably high tops.

First priority is to get something mechanically reliable that will get me 1300 miles before it needs much if any work. I'll get it checked out before I hit the road and make sure it's road ready... just hoping to buy something in decent shape and enough power to handle mountains. This is more important right now than having creature comforts. I may drive it out that way and want to look for a room or apartment, or may decide to just keep staying in the vehicle. 

So barebones cargo van or something similar feels like the place to start.

Also spotting some interesting options built on Ford E350s, like shuttle buses and one box truck looking thing.

One question I have is where do people go to work on their vans if they don't have a garage space? I'd have to drive 300 miles in the opposite direction to get back near family and friends who have garages and space and really would prefer to avoid that.

If I buy carpet or something at a Home Depot, do they care if I'm out in the parking lot doing work on my van? I'm just thinking about very basic things up front, and feeling a little stuck before I start. I live in an apartment building in a busy area with zero space to work on a vehicle.

I see tons of how-to videos on youtube, but do most people have garages or homes where they work on their vans? Or is it more acceptable in some parts of the country to be working on your vehicle out in the open in public areas?

People where I live don't really seem to get this lifestyle at all. Maybe it's like this everywhere, but to a lot of people I know here, the whole idea is just another form of homelessness, which is in itself sadly judged in very disheartening way.

Appreciate this forum, site, and Bob's youtube channel. Like so many, I am truly inspired to live a different life and am just getting started.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice or just plain ol' support.

Welcome to the CRVL forums qinomad! Your assessment is absolutely right on all points. Congratulations on your decision!
To answer some of your questions:
Yes, you can do a limited amount of work in a Home Depot parking lot. I recommend it because you always need another part and it saves time when you're right outside the store.
For more extensive work head to BLM or forest land. If you'll be making a lot of noise park far away from everyone.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

People do accumulate friends along the journey. It will surprise you with the offers you might get saying drop by our place and I will give you a hand.

Many tasks can be accomplished without needing a workshop space. But sometimes it is useful to stay nearby to a place where you rent a storage room for a month or so. That way you can unload things to get them out of the way while you accomplish one task or another or use it to stage tools, materials and other supplies.

Another variation I have seen on that is to put up a tent and stash stuff inside of it for a few days so you have the van relatively empty while you need to do tasks such as insulation, putting in flooring, building beds or just taking everything out for a good cleaning and reorganizing.

I have a friend who is working on projects on his casita. He takes it to a local park that has a boat launch area with long parking spaces. He just spends the day there, there is a small charge for parking. The security staff is not bothered by it. They are used to people doing odds and ends of stuff on the boats and trailers. As long as no one is spilling fuel into the parking lot or risking damage to other vehicles they are pretty blase about it. But every place you go will have different rules and even different staff will have different attitudes. So it will always be a case by case situation.

No all tasks require power tools. For instance you can cut 1/8" thick plywood by scoring through it with a utility knife. Wood cabinet frames can be cut to size with a hand saw and plastic miter box. A little more time but a lot less noise and no electricity required.

Be sure you know how much a sub-10K van costs to keep running and feed fuel to.
Lots of people doing this have learned the hard way, "fixer uppers" are actually, "wallet drainers."

A 4,000 dollar van quickly can become a $12,000 van (we have all seen it) and at the end of it all, still is no more reliable...or worth more than it's original price.

Better to get low miles rig, even if it costs more.
Less breakage and if you want to cash out, always worth the money in the market.

Trying to keep that money in the bank is good, but at a point, compromising on a cheap high mileage or elderly vehicle can have the opposite effect intended. It is VERY easy to drop 3500 dollars in one visit to the shop.

Gr8ful said:
Welcome! I'm heading that way too, just gotta sell all the stuff I just had to have. LOL. Good Luck!

Sell, donate, toss... whatever it takes! Best of luck to you as well!

maki2 said:
People do accumulate friends along the journey. It will surprise you with the offers you might get saying drop by our place and I will give you a hand.

Many tasks can be accomplished without needing a workshop space. But sometimes it is useful to stay nearby to a place where you rent a storage room for a month or so. That way you can unload things to get them out of the way while you accomplish one task or another or use it to stage tools, materials and other supplies.  

Another variation I have seen on that is to put up a tent and stash stuff inside of it for a few days so you have the van relatively empty while you need to do tasks such as insulation, putting in flooring, building beds or just taking everything out for a good cleaning and reorganizing.

I have a friend who is working on projects on his casita. He takes it to a local park that has a boat launch area with long parking spaces. He just spends the day there, there is a small charge for parking. The security staff is not bothered by it. They are used to people doing odds and ends of stuff on the boats and trailers. As long as no one is spilling fuel into the parking lot or risking damage to other vehicles they are pretty blase about it. But every place you go will have different rules and even different staff will have different attitudes. So it will always be a case by case situation.

No all tasks require power tools. For instance you can cut 1/8" thick plywood by scoring through it with a utility knife. Wood cabinet frames can be cut to size with a hand saw and plastic miter box. A little more time but a lot less noise and no electricity required.

Thanks! Great points. I know I'll be looking to lend a hand along the way, as it will be a great learning experience. Like the idea of doing some woodworking by hand too.

JD GUMBEE said:
Be sure you know how much a sub-10K van costs to keep running and feed fuel to.
Lots of people doing this have learned the hard way, "fixer uppers" are actually, "wallet drainers."

A 4,000 dollar van quickly can become a $12,000 van (we have all seen it) and at the end of it all, still is no more reliable...or worth more than it's original price.

Better to get low miles rig, even if it costs more.
Less breakage and if you want to cash out, always worth the money in the market.

Trying to keep that money in the bank is good, but at a point, compromising on a cheap high mileage or elderly vehicle can have the opposite effect intended. It is VERY easy to drop 3500 dollars in one visit to the shop.

Appreciate the reminder. At first, my plan was to buy half the van I think I can afford and put the rest in savings for maintenance and repairs. But if I can swing a newer van with lower miles, I'll adjust. 

Also looking for engines with lower priced and easy to find parts. Have seen some fun looking, older RVs in apparently decent shape -- but they're either low powered or have engines that have very expensive / difficult to find parts. I really like the idea of a good ol' Ford / Dodge / Chevy that can be fixed any ol' place that I happen to stop by -- or break down in :)

Oh, and avoiding rust to highest degree possible. Not easy in these parts.

Welcome to the forums, there are all sorts of van, and RV builds, along with some sedan car builds. One option to look into is an older Dodge Caravan, Chevy Astro van, Ford Windstar. These vans are fairly reliable, and can be bought for much less than a cargo van, and still have ample room for learning the ways of the road. By taking all of the plastic interior pieces, and seats out, you will still have an open area that is big enough for a full sheet of plywood, or insulation 4'x8'. They routinely get better fuel mileage, and are easier to "stealth" camp in an urban area. Most of them come with hitches, and roof racks for extra storage as well.

I really like the idea of a good ol' Ford . . .

Last year I found a rust free 93 ford E150 van, small block 8 cylinder. $1750.00 - private owner. Hasnt needed a thing. Not too bad on gas and decent power. (My preference, if you can find one, is the 300 straight 6 "bullet proof").
Good deals are out there if you are able, and have the time, to search. State auctions is a good place to look as well.
As far as a build goes - when I started out I bought a coleman cot for my bed - (love that thing ). And I was able to find free materials - carpet, plywood, boards, etc on craigslist. Put the word out and people will help you.
Also, having a tent is good advice

qinomad said:
I am determined to pack up what little I have that actually brings me joy in life, and drive towards the Southwest in April.

After years of considering and researching this lifestyle, my current assessment is:

• I won't really know if I'll like it until I try it.
  • Better to start where I'm at than keep endlessly analyzing, planning, and day dreaming.
  • No matter where I start (van, RV, barebones, or built out), I'll learn and want to change up at some point.
  • I can only learn so much on forums and youtube. I have to get out and get hands on experience. I'll be learning every day and night that I'm out on the road.

Hints.... 
Too much stuff is a huge problem. 
You CAN do it by keeping it simple. 
You will change your mind about your setup and pick up ideas from others once you start doing it.
Keep some cash for problems.
This is supposed to be fun!
Too much stuff is a problem.

I bought a ford van, took the stuff out, put down some plywood (put the carpet back), built a bed frame from 2x4s. Just tall enough to slip 10 gal rubbermaid containers under it.

I'd already gotten a twin air mattress from Walmart & a pump, that's what I used to size the bed.
I had 2 blankets from a second hand store already too.

I went to Home Depot (or was it Lowes?) with the size of plywood I needed for the bed frame in hand. I picked up a sheet (5/8 as I recall) & had them cut it to the size I needed.

I took it out to the van, slid it on place on top of the bed frame & screwed it down. (You ought to give some thought to getting some batt power tools again).

I put a blanket on top of the plywood, inflated the matterees & put that up there. I had a chair & a TV tray table, a camping stove & a pot for boiling water.

With that I was ready. I took off out of the big box parking lot heading south for the Quartzsite area and the other vandwellers there.

(In Redding CA I saw 100w solar panels going for $90 on Craigslist & bought one)

inside the ford van empty the forum.jpg

That was 2015

Attachments

• inside the ford van empty the forum.jpg
    inside the ford van empty the forum.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 10
NomadJack said:
I really like the idea of a good ol' Ford . . .

Last year I found a rust free 93 ford E150 van, small block 8 cylinder. $1750.00 - private owner. Hasnt needed a thing. Not too bad on gas and decent power. (My preference, if you can find one, is the 300 straight 6 "bullet proof").
Good deals are out there if you are able, and have the time, to search. State auctions is a good place to look as well.
As far as a build goes - when I started out I bought a coleman cot for my bed - (love that thing ). And I was able to find free materials - carpet, plywood, boards, etc on craigslist. Put the word out and people will help you.
Also, having a tent is good advice

There are a lot of deals on car auctions, I also bought 94 E150 on car auction. You can even buy vehicles online here https://sca.auction/en/search/type-cars/make-ford and bid on them and save your time. It's the exact website where I bought my E150. There is another one online car auction that I found, but I haven't used it https://abetter.bid/en

qinoma said:
I won't really know if I'll like it until I try it.

howdy & welcome!
your attitude is fabulous and you certainly seem to have thought quite a bit of this through for yourself.

i just want to stress the statement you made above and suggest that you do your best to get out there and try some weekends or longer stays before your lease is up and you give away every last item away. just confirm for yourself that the minimal living and daily routines are something you are really ready for, both emotionally and physically :)
best of luck and looking forward to seeing/hearing how you progress!!

Thank you. I agree that would have been a great idea... but with the lease ending and the clock ticking, it is what it is now. 

When I consider how I got myself into this spot, I know it's partly due to my desire to figure everything out before making my move. Of course, with this change, there are days when it all looks so easy and days when it's overwhelming. I haven't ever even used propane or a generator before! 

But I know I can figure things out over time, but have had to get real honest with myself in the here and now.

So while part of me wanted to go "all in" and commit to this lifestyle, I realized that it truly is a journey and I don't know for sure where it's taking me. And like an earlier post shared, it's suppoed to be fun!

The only solid thing in this puzzle at the moment is my move out date. Even my finances are somewhat fluid at the moment.

What anchors me is to remember one of the biggest, deep-down reasons why I feel this is happening, which is to truly let go and simplify my life. There's more "on the other side", but this is the next step.

It's funny because simple living is one of those values I believe in, but feel out of alignment with. My friends laugh when I say this because in their eyes, my life is already simple, but I guess a part of me knows it can be so much more so.

I have a destination in mind. I am going to take my time getting there. If I am miserable, I can look for an AirBnB and do that until I can find a room to rent or something. Have scoped it all out online, so feel it is feasible. I was close to going this route just about a month ago, but realized I can just be more flexible with everything. Plus, I would much rather be physically in that place and be able to meet potential landlords or roomies face to face.

That wouldn't be a forever solution, but a stepping stone while I figure out more and test out with RV/Van living more part time.

The other huge factor in all of this is my dog. Will she love van life? One thing I figure is that I'll not be doing too much stealth camping, at least early on. She's a really quiet dog when relaxed, but her travel experience is limited, and it'll be a job in itself getting her acclimated.

So when I add it all up, I come back to: take what money I have, set aside a good chunk for emergencies and inevitable maintenance, and then buy the best van I can afford and create the most comfortable living space I can on my budget. 

I'm not out to do any youtube videos (but do loving watching others out there!), or host guests, so simplicity and taking good care of me and this ol' dog is my #1 goal until I get a little further down the road, literally and figuratively.

Thanks again to all of the support and feedback here. There's nothing as valuable as genuine experience, so it's a gift that you and others are willing to share yours with us newbies!

Thought I'd drop an update here on my intro thread. Bought my first van today! It's a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 Cargo Van. Came with a basic camper conversion - insulation, windows are blocked, and thankfully it also already has a roof vent.

I'm in the midwest and most vans that age have a fair amount of rust around here. This one started its life in California as a Police Vehicle, apparently. Body is in great shape. Engine seems strong too. About 150K miles.

Gonna get it in the shop for an inspection before I hit the road in a few short weeks.

Wish me luck!

Thanks. All I have at the moment is a pic from the CL post (attached). More to come this week. The initial drive on the highway was super smooth even at 70 mph. Hoping this is a solid start for my van life adventures. As the thread says, gotta start somewhere!

Attachments

• 01616_d7f34a3rnzP_600x450.jpg
    01616_d7f34a3rnzP_600x450.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 4
Hi qinomad,
Welcome to the forum.
I'm in the midwest too. I'm in Illinois, so I know what you mean by rusty vans!
I've been seeking a campervan for the last 6 months. The winter has been hard for me to ck Van's out and there was a very small market. I'm using craigslist, camper dealers and facebook market, almost on a daily search. I can't seem to find one and I'm NOT going to buy one that doesn't fit my interests/needs. I've thought of a hightop (a priority for me) cargo van and build out, but I don't know anyone or anywhere someone could do that. I could build a makeshift sleeping space, but the electrical work should be done by a licensed electrician or someone who has experience (this is my second priority). I wish you the best and hope to read about your journey to vandwelling.
My dream is to be out of Illinois asap! Gotta find a van!
(Please van fairies and lucky unicorns, look down upon qinomad and I to find the right van) :)
Cheers!

Srae29 said:
Hi qinomad,
Welcome to the forum.
I'm in the midwest too. I'm in Illinois, so I know what you mean by rusty vans!
I've been seeking a campervan for the last 6 months. The winter has been  hard for me to ck Van's out and there was a very small market. I'm using craigslist, camper dealers and facebook market, almost on a daily search. I can't seem to find one and I'm NOT going to buy one that doesn't fit my interests/needs. I've thought of a hightop (a priority for me) cargo van and build out, but I don't know anyone or anywhere someone could do that. I could build a makeshift sleeping space, but the electrical work should be done by a licensed electrician or someone who has experience (this is my second priority). I wish you the best and hope to read about your journey to vandwelling.
My dream is to be out of Illinois asap! Gotta find a van!
(Please van fairies and lucky unicorns, look down upon qinomad and I to find the right van) :)
Cheers!

Hi Srae29 -- I can relate. I can't say this van was my ideal choice, but now that I have it, I'm quite happy to make it work. Especially because I got myself into quite the pickle with my lease running out in a few weeks, so the clock was ticking. But then again, maybe that's just what I needed to escape analysis-paralysis.

This van is insulated and has a roof vent... otherwise, it's going to be a work in progress. I'm really OK with that. It already has the windows blocked for privacy and insulation too. I may want more of an outside view once I am out in the Southwest, but this feels like a good way to start.

Attaching a few more pics from today.
IMG_20190401_124933606.jpg
IMG_20190401_124946013.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190401_124933606.jpg
    IMG_20190401_124933606.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20190401_124946013.jpg
    IMG_20190401_124946013.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts