Goodbye ObamaCare

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DannyB1954 said:
Our politicians have socialized medicine, but apparently it is not good enough for the rest of us. Or something like that. Another gripe of mine is VA medical. Why have a separate system? just issue them medicare with the provision that the VA will pay the copay. That way a Vet can go to any doctor that takes medicare.

Funded through different sources.

The government likes to keep separate books and procedures, etc. Creates more jobs in the public sector.

I don't know specifically, but VA would be a specific act to provide medical care to veterans. Look for something like Veteran Affairs.

Medicare would be funded under a specific act to provide medical care for civilian retirees and perhaps disabled.

Regardless of the funding "source", they both ultimately depend on public debt in the end.

We are the funding source, (tax payers). Why should we have multiple administrations? Why should a veteran be limited to a small percentage of doctors and medical facilities? Makes no sense to me.

My understanding of VA new rules states if you live a certain distance from a VA facility they will pay for treatment.

bullfrog said:
My understanding of VA new rules states if you live a certain distance from a VA facility they will pay for treatment.

You have to get pre-approval. I have not met one Vet who has used that useless card they mailed out. Rob

I should, in fairness to the VA, admit that when I started feeling dizzy while at the Clinic in Ft Worth my primary called an ambulance and someone called whoever authorizes non-standard care and I was never billed a dime. Got a statement that 9 hours in the ER at Harris Methodist Hospital in Ft Worth billed them $17,000. Saw a doctor three times for a total of ten minutes.

Acute Bronchitis or however you spell it.

Gunny said:
You have to get pre-approval. I have not met one Vet who has used that useless card they mailed out. Rob

Rob, my sister has used it a ton. She went thru chemo and radiation locally and I shudder to think what that cost. VA paid it in full. Right now she has some Gastro issues and isn't having any problem at all with the VA covering that as well. Anyway, just so you know that, at least for her, the new system is working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For that I am thankful, perhaps I am wrong. It would not be the first time and in this case I hope I am, God Bless your sister and I wish her well.

My Best, Rob

How well or poorly the card works may depend entirely on WHICH VA hospital you are dealing with.

Optimistic, that may be true. I'm a member of two military forums and the VA comes up often, Cammulu's sister is the first I have heard that the card was approved. Getting treatment outside of the system is common even if you live within the area of a clinic or hospital. A friend is getting his skin cancer treated privately and the VA set it up, he did not ask for it. Dealing with them is confusing to many, myself included. I am just happy to read it's working for Cammalu's sister.

Latest posts