good values for washing up/showering

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhuff

Reaction score
Monoprice.com has a few items on their website that might be of interest to nomads:

Collapsible Plastic Laundry Basket / Washing Tub, 9L (about 2.4 gal) capacity for $19.99
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=41956

Solar Shower bag, 6.5 gal. capacity for $9.99
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=37917

They also sell other camping products, as well as good quality cables, computer & audio/video accessories, etc...at good prices with an excellent return policy. I'm not "sponsored" by this company or anything, just a happy repeat customer.

That bag, filled with water, weighs 54 lbs.

Lift it over my head? heeheeheeheehee?

Get the crane out!

I like the idea of pumping the shower water out of a bucket. Used to use the solar shower and had it set up with a pulley to raise it if you really like that type of shower. 
-crofter

Yep, I would also be concerned about the weight of a 6.5 gallon solar shower.

I use a 2.5 gallon one, and can just hang it without difficulty.

At $9.99, I would also be concerned about quality.

I see one, 5 star review.

Has anyone tried the little battery powered pumps that have a shower handle on the other end so that you put your bucket on the floor or ground and then use the handheld unit? I see them for less than $40. I have been planning to get one.

My good value for washing up is a 1 gallon jug of no-rinse perineal & skin cleanser. (About $11 bucks.) It's what they use to bathe bedridden people. You can use it straight, but I mix it about two parts warm water to one part wash. About a half cup will soak a washcloth and clean my whole body.

When I am in extreme water conservation mode, for whatever reason, I use one of those disposable washcloths that are mean for bedridden individuals and are fairly inexpensive in packets similar to wet wipes at Walmart.

I take a sponge bath with one of those, which I then can toss rather than using more water to rinse, and then rinse with maybe a half gallon of clean water.

Not a full shower, but works very satisfactorily, and I have a collapsible bin I can stand in for this if I must also conserve tank capacity.

nature lover said:
Has anyone tried the little battery powered pumps that have a shower handle on the other end so that you put your bucket on the floor or ground and then use the handheld unit?  I see them for less than $40.  I have been planning to get one.
I used one for awhile, it was orange, it worked for awhile, a few months, then died, Afterwards I thought of buying a better quality bilge pump and connecting shower head to it but in the end I think using a kitchen pot, dipping it in the bucket works just as well.

nature lover said:
Has anyone tried the little battery powered pumps that have a shower handle on the other end so that you put your bucket on the floor or ground and then use the handheld unit?  I see them for less than $40.  I have been planning to get one.
Yes.  I got one on Amazon.  Works really great.  Use it with a black 5-gallon bucket I put out in the sun during the warm months.  Only thing I don't like about it is the battery is built-in, so I'd have to buy a new unit when this one fizzles out.  And batteries often fizzle out fairly quickly, especially if you aren't johnny-on-the-spot about watching their charge level.  Which, with an item like this, I would tend not to do in winter. Again, though, they work very well, or at least mine does.

Thanks for the feedback on those little shower units. I’ve been determined to get one for a while so I probably will.

Latest posts