Good Photo Editor for Mac

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spaceman Spiff

Reaction score
I'm migrating from Windows XP to MacBook/Yosemite and need a good photo editor.  I currently use Photoshop on XP, but was wondering if there is something better/cheaper/easier to use for the mac.

Any ideas?  I don't go wild with editing; mostly cropping, color and light balance, and eliminating blemishes from pictures.

-- Spiff

Look for "Gimp for Mac" in the googler. This should take you to a Mac centric version of Gimp. A bit behind photo shop and the interface is a bit different but it is totally free and open source. Dang good software and has a metric ton of tutorials on the web for it.

John

EDIT: Try this Gimp for Mac

I second the suggestion to try out GIMP, if you want to ditch those pesky subscriptions fees on Adobe products. If you already bought an older copy of Photoshop though (CS3, CS6, etc.) I would personally just keep using that, but it sounds like you're using CC now. Photoshop is design industry standard, but GIMP is more than capable for most people's needs.

I used Photoshop professionally ever since it existed, so I got Photoshop Elements 11 when I downsized to a laptop. I still miss a couple of capabilities (and having three monitors and several terabytes of storage), but I'll survive.

MrNoodly:  Elements on windows or mac?  If you have used both; is editing pictures the same on both platforms?

Konaexpress, Journey: I'll have to check out GIMP.  Thanks

RVtravel:  I'll check out GraphicConverter.  Thanks.

-- Spiff

Spaceman Spiff said:
MrNoodly:  Elements on windows or mac?  If you have used both; is editing pictures the same on both platforms?

Konaexpress, Journey: I'll have to check out GIMP.  Thanks

RVtravel:  I'll check out GraphicConverter.  Thanks.

-- Spiff

On a Mac. When I started using graphics programs, PCs were using MSDOS and just had business apps. So I've stuck with Macs rather than adjust to different ways of doing things. The Windows versions of Adobe products work pretty much the same Mac versions, with the interface adapted for the peculiarities of Windows.

You may want to look into the Photographer's Bundle from Adobe depending on your budget. It's the Creative Cloud subscription versions of both Lightroom and Photoshop CC for $9.99 a month. As long as your subscription is up to date you'll always have the latest versions of both. 

http://www.adobe.com/ca/creativecloud/photography.html

As an avid photographer I can't recommend Lightroom enough for general editing, organization and with the right plugins, publishing your work to social media with just a few clicks, saving the need for an extra resized version cluttering your hard drive. When I first (finally) got on the Lightroom bandwagon I kicked myself hard for not doing it a lot sooner. 

Good luck,
Wayne

I love Pixelmator, I think I paid $25. years ago, I keep getting upgrades free too!