gonna get a dog

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoneer

Reaction score
It's been years and to explain myself a companion would be appreciated 4 legged 35-50 pound non- hyper bigger than a cyote smaller than a mountain lion cute is  better smart is best.
Looking in the Mutt mixed breed . I will know when it happens, no rush and cannot go to the pound alone as my heart would break. looking at one of my emotionally strong female friends for help,,,

I don't know how I could be without a dog in my travels. Yes, it's easier without one but mine brings me happiness.
Good luck finding the right dog.

Here's a dog match up quiz. I don't think it's really accurate but it will give you some things to think about with regard to what you want in a dog
http://dogtime.com/matchup

If you're an experienced dog person look in high kill shelters or try http://www.dogsindanger.com/ This website lists dogs on the euthanasia list. You can search by zip code or state, breed, etc. I say experienced because some of these dogs are going to be there due to behavioral issues, medical issues or any number of reasons. That's not to say you can't find a great well adjusted dog in a high kill shelter. It helps if you're able to identify behavioral problems and medical issues

A reputable rescue will help match you to a dog that is going to suit your lifestyle. That said, many rescues will turn you down because you don't have a fenced yard (and a thousand other seemingly stupid reasons.}
This website has a pretty good list of what to look for in a good rescue.
http://www.redrover.org/choosing-reputable-rescue-group
Your search doesn't necessarily have to to tick every box. Also, you'll be paying more through a rescue. But, you're paying for medical care your dog has received (shots, spay/neuter, microchip) And helping with other dogs' expenses.

I used to do mutt matching. If you'd like help send me a PM

Petfinders lists rescues and shelters for perusing some of what's available in your area
https://www.petfinder.com/

my dog up and died quick a couple years ago,parvo/poison??? and just havent had it in me to get another but need to,have a giant coon problem,talking like a 30lb coon huge coon

Queen said:
Same here.

Me too!

But I also know that after a lifetime of having a dog that the life I want to lead is not conducive to also having a dog. I'll settle for petting everyone elses' dogs and taking them for walks when I can.

That's where we're at right now.  I love going to the local dog beach and lavishing attention on other peoples pups; I've even managed to make some doggie friends, when I go for my walks they see me and come running up for some attention.  :)

Pretty fond of black labs and Newfies- had 3 rescue mutts with lab appearance while kids were home, swore I wouldn't have another....then made the mistake of dogsitting an aging lab mix for a week- she has been with me for two years now. Best dog that ever owned me....gonna miss her if I out live her.

Private "adoption" may be your best bet. The animal shelters aren't real fond of the nomadic lifestyle as a rule. They tend to think a pet needs a fenced in back yard of a certain size. Freebie pets are often available for various reasons. All my pets were rescues ("official" and "non-official"). Often animal shelters are so crowed that folks will try to place a pet on their own rather than add to the load.

I couldn't be without my dog, Mr. Pico. I am never lonely or alone. Although he doesn't speak English or read a map...I talk to him all the time...he is always happy and our morning and evening walks are out best times. Hopefully, find a rescue dog. This is a great lifestyle for dogs.

Bindiis the first animal I have ever traveled with and were it not for the fact she was with us when we began this adventure, I would not have a pet on the road. I'll admit that having Margie with me would (and does) provide companionship.

There are times when having a pet makes it harder to do certain things, like being away all day, so that never happens. I could bring up other examples, but would rather stay more on the positive side. 
At the end of Bindi's days I do not plan to have another pet while traveling...eventho having a service dog does help me emotionally. I'll just find other ways to deal with the PTSD.

I can certainly understand how a solo road warrior would enjoy the companionship of a pet tho.
Just think it over fully and know in your heart it is right for you and the pet you want.
I always advise newbies to establish their own lifestyle before adding the responsibilities of a pet.

Adrian is certainly not a newbie, by any means.
Good luck in your search my friend ;)

Before you choose (or get chosen) take appropriate steps to determine and ensure your new buddy
likes to travel. Not all dogs do.

Here's something I didn't think about when I got my dog. My dog pants -- loudly. If she's moving, she's panting. If she's excited, she's panting. I don't take her long distances because it is so irritating.

Yeah, then ya gotta feed and water them, tke them to pee, pick up poo, and make them get out of the seat so you can drive.
Dern, we're stuck with our spoiled brat  :heart:

Just about everything that I own is for sale if the right price is offered, except my dog.

Latest posts