Going for it.... Making the move to an RV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jeanontheroad said:
Started the Big Purge.
The kitchen is going to be a killer. We both love to cook and we will both want to take our favorite items. In some cases, it is proving more sensible to get rid of both of our favorites and replacing them with something more practical, like replacing aluminum pots that won't work on an induction burner with steel pots that will.

Jean...are you going to live in a van or an RV??

I ask because it seems to me that there's NOTHING you can cook in a fully equiped home kitchen, that you CAN'T cook in an RV galley. (except maybe a 22# turkey dinner.)
Our old RV had a wonderful oven that was like new inside because in the 20 years that the previous owners had it, they never used it! (we fixed that!!) :D

I use my Gas oven in my Bounder -add a 12" square terricotta tile cover it with foil--it will spread the heat-so as to NOT burn food on the bottom. learned this back in the 70's...I'm on my 4th Motorhome.
yes, keep some aluminum pans to cook Stove top in the RV.
when boondocking I can run the Generator & use the Microwave and coffee pot.
My Casita Camper has Propane 2 eye stove top only.& a microwave-(NO gen for it).
sparky1.

Hi Patrick, we have a 32-ft Gulfstream Independence with a very nice galley. However, we still have a lot of kitchen gear that we won't be able to stuff into it. Funny, I never miss the fancy apple or mango slicers or the huge ricer maker or the enormous lobster pot or having 7 different frying pans when we are out, but it kills me to put them into the charity box when we are at the house.

We just had another traumatic experience regarding our VW TDI - which is now gone and replaced with a Fiesta. The Fiesta is flat towable. VW's are not, not even manual transmission ones. Weird, the things we get attached to. Nothing against Ford, and the Fiesta seems to be a decent enough car, but DAMN!!!

Just posted my beautiful bone china on Craigslist. I love my Old Country Roses. My husband hates it. Oh, well, can't take it in the RV. Hopefully it will be in someone else's house for Xmas. I'm going to keep one little piece. He can just deal with it.

We're with ya on giving up your bone china. Just ain't the same eating off plastic plates.
Oh well, there's a reason for every trade off we make to live the life we choose.

I started with my designer bags. That was going to be the hardest. Then, we did my car. Next, my china and Calphalon cookware is going. Hubby's hardest thing will his tools. He hasn't even thought about it. Our son will take a few favorites, but hubby better not take too long to start dealing with the rest. We call the realtor next week. Maybe it will take a few more weeks to do whatever of her recommendations we decide to do. Houses have been moving fast in our neighborhood. It would be hard to dispose of an entire shop full of woodworking tools -including a planer, a $3000 table saw, a drill press, and all manner of other things in the 3 or 4 weeks it could take to close. He seems to be living in a kind of dual reality, where he plans to be out of the house in 2 or 3 months, but has all the time in the world to dither.

We understand how it is on both sides of the fence....his and hers. I had a hard time giving up tools I knew I'd miss every time I wanted to work on something. I had to face reality and bite the bullet. I had to call upon Margie's impartial view of what might be best to keep that we could effectively carry and actually use. (we get along well and she was helpful...I listened). I kept some mechanic tools, a set of cordless, and a box of misc basic hand tools to cover wood, metal, and fiberglass, as well as some small hobby tools. One underbelly compartment is tools.
Sometimes I still "jones" for shop space with everything all neatly in place, but there are certain concessions we all have to make when traveling.
Its called "turning loose" and it ain't as easy as it sounds for most people.

Oh, and you can't say, "I gave up my xxxx, you have to give up something". That only creates hard feelings and "turning loose" isn't a competition.

Well, I think I could write a book now after reading the post posted to the "making the move to an RV.
We aren't full timers. But, I have been away in the RV long enough to know I can do without many things I left behind. Although, when you start to cut loose from all the baggage, you then realize how much you have that you just simply can't carry with you.

Thanks AK. Good post. About to make that life change with my hubby and pets. So, took your words to heart and will put aside any fears and welcome a new lifestyle adventure! Thanks again!

Don't put away your fears. Just get them under control. Examine them and see if they are valid concerns. Then do what is necessary to minimize what can go bad. Learn about what brands can be good and what ones to stay away from. There are a few people on here that didn't do enough homework and wound up with Dodge vans that wish they had gotten more information before they spent their money. Same for a Ford or two with a problem in the engine compartment. Learn what you can fix, and what you can figure out how to fix with info available on the internet. Good luck and make your life more enjoyable, not a disaster waiting to happen.