Global Sun Oven cooking tips

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tincup

Reaction score
For those of you using the Global Sun Oven I thought I'd post a few hints/tips I've come up with over the years. &nbsp;<div><br></div><div>First, I bought a piece of tile at Lowe's 9 x 12", painted the back flat black and slid it on to the shelf in the oven. &nbsp;It acts as a heat sink, aids in pre-heating and holds the heat if I want to keep a meal warm for an hour or so before eating.</div><div><br></div><div>Second, I removed that stupid push button on the leg and replaced it with an eye bolt. &nbsp;It's pictured in the first two photos, this allows infinite range on the leg when "aiming" the oven and, it's much easier to use. &nbsp;I filled the leg with sand so it slides easier.<br></div><div><br></div><div>I also have a weighted bag with a hook on it to act as a counter balance when the sun is low and the oven is tipped forward. &nbsp; It prevents it from tipping over.</div><div><br></div><div>I've attached three photos and I hope they come through alright.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

On partly cloudy days , you can put 1-2 bricks in the oven to help hold the heat . I love using the solar ovens .

Mine is behind me now in Texas, have no room for it, but I really thank you for those tips!!! Love that Oven... Thinking about making a mini one... what do you think?<br><br>Ara and Spirit<br><br>

A thought occurred to me about using one of these.&nbsp;It's one thing if you're there all day, but what if you're gone?&nbsp;&nbsp;Has anyone ever had an issue with wildlife knocking theirs over to get at the food?<div><br><div><br><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div></div>

<br /><span style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;"><strong>I like your eyebolt solution, TC. As for a heat sink, I use a round, 8" cast iron trivette, <br />which fits perfectly in my pot. I just leave it in there all the time.</strong></span><br /><br /><div>
SolarCooking9.jpg
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><strong style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;">A little rusty, but a perfect fit!</strong></div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>
SolarCooking10.jpg
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><strong style="font-family: 'comic sans ms', sans-serif;">Then, 4 ceramic coffee cups also fit nicely, &amp; make ideal cooking containers!</strong></div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>
SolarCooking11.jpg
</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>
SolarCooking12.jpg
</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>
SolarCooking4.jpg
<br /><br /></div>