GIRLS ROOM: What items did you bring and then say, "WTH was I thinking?!"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rina

Reaction score
I've been enjoying reading the 'wardrobe' thread but wonder what items (clothing or otherwise) did you bring and then say, "WTH was I thinking?!"

I downsized further when I moved from my Class C to my van. I had to go through everything and get rid of even more. But there was nothing that I wasn't using. Plenty I could live without, though.

When I'm in my van, I can tell I plan on taking way too much. No way it's going to fit. I have a Amish made rocking chair and coffee table, I was going to stuff that in there. No way, I'll have to give them up.

I was going to take some firearms, no way. Takes up too much space, too much responsibility keeping track of them 24/7. If it came to it that I had to use one to defend myself, even in self defense, I'd be in trouble there aren't words for! (Woman living in van shoots person.) No, I think I'm going to just take them to a police buy back, make sure they are signed over to them, and just walk away.
I have an ice axe, that's menacing enough, and it's totally legal, it's a piece of mountaineering equipment.

Yeah, a bunch of lightweight camping gear is all I'm going to have space for.

I guess I choose my user name well, if I want to find Walden, there's going to be some sacrifice.

On an extended tenting trip out west, I took one set of "nice" clothes, just in case. By week two they were a dusty wrinkled mess from the blowing sand and constantly being moved out of the way to get to other things or to repack the containers. I don't wear dressy clothes at home more than a couple of times a year, not sure why I thought I'd need them on the road.

80% of my wardrobe. Black silk cocktail dress. Dry clean items. 3 pr dress shoes. Everything that is not jeans, shorts, t shirts and sweaters and the shoes that go with them. Oh, I also kept my denim skirt. That is about as dressy as I have gotten in nearly 3 years. I wear the heck out of that.

Black silk cocktail dress. THAT is funny. ::) (not that I wouldn't be tempted to take one along -if I had one- but still funny!)

Yeah, black silk cocktail dress. Here I thought my denim overalls was strange.

waldenbound said:
Yeah, black silk cocktail dress. Here I thought my denim overalls was strange.

Hi Wal.
Just checked out your blog. :D  Why no Amazon links to your reviews? (which I really like, by the way. Call me sexist, but I'm biased by default toward kitchenie reviews from women)

My blog is just getting started. I'm massively distracted right now by my new to me van, and seasonal retail job.
When the weather improves, there's plenty to talk about camp cooking, trips, farmer's markets, cooking while on the road, rare diner finds.
It'll get better. :cool:

rina said:
Black silk cocktail dress. THAT is funny. ::) (not that I wouldn't be tempted to take one along -if I had one- but still funny!)

If I remember correctly, the dress ended up in a thrift store somewhere in Arizona. Or maybe it was South Dakota.

Before going to sleep last night I remembered I still have my Mess Dress and Class A from CAP-USAF. I surely don't need to be dragging those things about but..... wow. Letting go.... Keep the ribbons...insignia (AND WHY SHOULD I DO THIS?) certainly it is part of downsizing...give away what you can right now, then later on give a little more of it... then ?