GIRLS' ROOM!!! Hi ladies, new to the forum, and would enjoy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0ldengirl68

Reaction score
meeting other gals, especially in my age group, 63 (but not a prerequisite) that are divorced, widowed, or single, that want to live like a gypsy, or are already doing that:) 

I have been divorced 20 years now, and it's not from lack of looking for a match (Mr. Right, no laughing, I guess it can happen, just not for me so far) but mostly just choosing against getting involved with the men I've met.  I don't drink or smoke, and was a bar-fly in the 70s, but now pretty straight lady.  Far from perfect, if that even exists :angel: I really want to go it alone, although I want to find a dog to love again.  I had a tiny one for 15 years, and haven't gotten another since she died.  I love dogs, and feel they are much more my "type" than a man, LOL!!  I like people, but prefer my privacy most.

I am trying to add something new to my truck each payday so that I am hopefully ready to hit the road in the Spring.  I will try some short trips to start, keeping my apartment here in Crescent City, CA.  I'm an Oregon girl, born and raised, just sort of ended up here.

I won't post much more, I did a bio if anyone wants to know a little more for now. 

I did want to say, I still find myself "feeling" like I need the feedback of men that have done wood-working, but I know there have got to be women that have done this without the help of a man.  I recently put together a full-size bed, and asked the maintenance guy if he would help me with it.  What a crummy job, didn't measure or anything with the bolts for the headboard (didn't matche exactly, I buy everything second hand as far as furniture).  So I stripped it apart, borrowed a neighbor ladies drill, and did an awesome job of it, if I do say so myself.  Never used a drill before, or completely set up anything like a bed.

So, the above let me know that I was capable of doing a lot more than I gave myself credit :shy:

Anyway, hoping to meet some independent gals, I'll be around, and looking forward to it, Denise

Hi Denise! You've found a wonderfully warm (most of the time) internet family.

Since you've just found the forum, perhaps you don't know about the RTR, in Quartzsite, in January. It'll be a haul for you, but one you won't regret. It's a big, annual gathering of awesome people and you'll meet plenty of your kind

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/gatherings/

If you look in the gatherings forum, you'll find lists of blog posts, with plenty of pictures, that people have written about the RTR. SO. MUCH. FUN!!!

Congratulations on your bed. I'm sure that's just the beginning!

I'm not single but I'm in the ballpark of your age (56), and have a lifetime of "nontraditional" experience. You can learn how to do all kinds of cool stuff when you let yourself. Grab those tools and go to town!

"So, the above let me know that I was capable of doing a lot more than I gave myself credit"

You've probably learned more in those 63 years than you realize. Lots of times it's just easier letting some guy do it. I realized at some point that with some things, I know more than many of the guys. If I can see it and understand how it works, I can make a decent job of it. If I can't see how it works (electricity, computers, cars), I just lump it into the category of 'Magic' and pay a guy to do it.

For a LOT of handy building info, check out SeeJaneDrill at http://seejanedrill.com/

Her videos show quick, common sense ways to get things done, and they're easy to understand.

Get a dog. Everyone who likes dogs should have a dog.

'Magic' Hehehe I'm gonna swipe that cause it's true for me too. :p

Hi abby, love the name and dunno why I didn't think of it first. :p I learned to do a lot of things traditionally thought of as guy stuff---I was fortunate that nobody told me I couldn't do it so I just did it. It's amazing what we can accomplish with good directions. ;) Sometimes it's a whole lot easier if there's not two captains for the ship.

I still can't sew worth a darn though.

Sounds like you've got a good plan and I look forward to hearing more about your build and adventure as it comes along. :)

Hi I am roughly your age 55. I have been widowed for 16 years and am looking forward to being a gypsy in 2020. I'd like to mee you even if it only virtually for a while Basr

I'm about your age also (56) and have been widowed about three years. My dog died around the same time as my husband si I'm also dog-less for now. You mentioned you were added somethings new to your truck? Are you planning to build within a truck?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Denise. I'm in your age range (62 in Jan) and I have been divorced for about 20 years as well. Still single after all these years. I had one long-term relationship but it wasn't meant to be. I am in the planning stages to go full-time. I will be retiring and hitting the road in June. Right now I'm downsizing and saving every blessed penny I can. I plan to buy my van in the spring and spend a couple of months getting it road ready. I live on the East Coast so I will be heading west. I haven't decided yet on my course but I need to end up in Nevada as I will be making that my state of residence. I also have family there. I don't want to travel in the southern states in June and July so I may take a northern route. I am originally from Colorado and the idea of spending a bit of time in the Rockies during the summer before heading to Nevada has great appeal.

I'm so excited about this phase of my life. There is a deep sense of longing in me and an expectation that I will find even more than I hope to find on the road.

As far as being handy goes, as a single parent who was the majority support of my sons for a long time, I had to learn a lot. Drywalling, replacing faucets, replacing a water heater, basic car maintenance and being a ninja master when it comes to putting together IKEA furniture. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty and trying to figure things out. My limitations are mostly physical since 62 years has taken a tiny bit of a toll. But what I lack in physical agility I make up for in mental agility. That's the story I'm sticking to it.

Hi Denice,

I'm about 60 and happily single. I've done two winters travel in the desert. Four months each time. Next step is a longer period away. I'm taking off this time for a year and a half.

Travel gives me adventure and also peace in my heart.

Come to the Rtr if you can. You'll meet lots of happy single women.

I'm not sure how I missed this thread way back when it was brand new but oh well!

Welcome to the forum Denise!

I'm in the age bracket, and currently running down the Appalachian mountain chain before I swing west for the winter.

My signature has a link to the thread where I captured the building of the van, fondly named 'Lady Arabella'.

The guys are still impressed, not only that I did it myself, but that I didn't need a whole large workshop of tools to do it.

Hope to see you at the RTR this January.

Hi I'm new too, will be at the RTR this week, driving from Connecticut.

I'm fairly new here too. I really like that movie Bride of Frankenstein? lololol SN. I'm your age and single (again). But I'm not looking for a man... been there done that... and I have a dog who never complains (except in dog talk maybe?)... celibate by choice.

I grew up with 3 brothers and a dad (my 2 sisters and mom were close... left me out) by the age of 5 I knew the shapes and names of most tools used to fix the old 37 Ford truck one of my brothers worked on each weekend. I'm a "Jean of all trades and master of a very few " hahaha.

Welcome! I won't be going out as the first van I ordered didn't arrive the way I ordered it and I'm having to wait on the reorder ... not til end of January now? bummer. I would be in AZ if the other had been correct.

towhee said:
"Travel gives me adventure and also peace in my heart.

Come to the Rtr if you can. You'll meet lots of happy single women."

Hi!  New here to the forum.
I keep hearing about the RTR.  What is it?  I am guessing an annual gathering in AZ in Jan???

to the real topic at hand: 

Hello, all!
I'm of about hte same age -- 52, 53 next mo.  I have a small truck but I need to replace it with a newer one.  I'm getting stuff together so I can go on the road in a few years, too!  Divorced for 17 years.  Daughter is 18 and just went to college.  After I get her through college, I will hit the road and live a life of freedom, I hope!!  So I have 3 1/2 years to prepare.  

I'm looking forward to learning from and getting to know all of you!!

So glad to hear there are lots of happy single women out there.  So many, mostly my family, think one has to be married to be happy.  I enjoy companionship, but I have come to terms that I rate quality SO much more higher than quantity -- meaning, I need and will wait to have a man who is VERY like minded, instead of having one around just because.  That is not freedom.  Talk about the proverbial ball and chain.

Anyway, glad to be here!

-Skye   :D

Welcome, Skye!

The RTR is the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous. It's a gathering of van (also truck, RV, and car) dwellers who gather in (usually) Quartzsite, Arizona in January. It's hosted by the owner of this website, Bob Wells, who has been living in a van for at least ten years. See this link: http://www.cheaprvliving.com/gatherings/

If you're not familiar with truck boots (they create an opening between truck cab and the camper shell), check them out.

My main objection with sleeping in the back of a truck is getting into the cab in a hurry. In my pajamas. In the rain. With a scary thing outside (bear or nutcase, etc).

Hi, I am 70, was married 32 yrs & now divorced 6 yrs. come June. I am planning on part timing in my "98 Mercury Tracer. Traveling is in my blood as My Dad was an Over the Road Trucker, His Grandfather was a Railroad Engineer and my brother was also an OTR trucker.