GIRL'S ROOM: battery basics for dummies???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michele0203

Reaction score
I saw a post about one's eyes going criss-crossregarding solar setup..well I need to take a step back to the basics of deep cell batteries first being being set up because that's required before the solar I think if I've underrood correctly.

Anyone have suggestions on books that teach about this?  From my understanding, if you can afford it the AGM batteries are the best, but if I decide to buy them, them what then do with them to make them work?  That's the kind of book I'm in search of.

Thanks, ladies!

I wonder if there's a website or book called "batteries for dummies?" I've not run a search engine for it yet.

SternWake has posted about the batteries in countless threads here, even dumbing it down in a few bless him, but my brain didn't think to save links to particular ones since they are on here anyhow, right? SMH It's possible somebody else did though? If you use the search bar or just scan the electrical thread for people asking questions about what type of battery is best or whatever and you are most likely to run into one of SternWake's thorough discourses on the subject that you might be able to comprehend where others have failed. I'm slowly starting to follow some of it. XXXXX

What size so far as amp hours or amps or something battery you get would be based on how much corresponding solar (with solar being greater than battery) you can afford and fit on your vehicle or in your suitcase. (Suitcase solar humor for anyone joining the show late. :p) So far as the kind, the consensus around here leans toward the wet batteries---6volt deep cycle golf cart batteries more specifically, in pairs for some reason. (Aren't you proud of me guys, I have been paying attention?) Even though the AGM batteries aren't true deep cycle batteries I will still be going with AGM because of my own special set of memory issues n such.

So, I haven't been focusing too much on the batteries other than what I just typed because the amount of solar and the amount of load an individual will be wanting the system for will be bigger determinants. If you don't plan to do more than charge phone/laptop/lanterns then I could see starting with the battery maybe. (If I'm wrong, ladies, correct me---guys, if you can't resist then pm a girl :p) I personally plan to ask somebody else to do, err I mean help me with, my homework when it comes time to figure the battery amperage I need (hope I got that term right) that would fit the amount of solar I can get. Hopefully that will add up to more than enough for the worst case scenario of having little solar input for a period of days. (That part I remember from Bob stressing it over and over. :) )

Anyhow, I feel like a solar Eliza Doolittle but I'm not sure how far in the process I am. So, the above is my logic for starting with basic understanding of the solar aspect. Hopefully I figured how to 'splain it in an easy way to understand. If not, sorry. I'm sure somebody probably knows of a book or two just in case. *Crossing my fingers I haven't totally got my lessons wrong*

Once the solar and battery is all figured out then we move on to the care and feeding of your batteries. :D

Thanks for your response! If I understand you correctly, it depends on how much power I'm going to need as to how much battery and solar I need and which options are best. I use a cpap machine to sleep so it's very important that I have enough juice so that I can sleep/ breathe through the night. I'll have to do a search on the individual you mentioned.

I have seen cpap back up batteries which I will likely buy one, especially to have in my early stages of vandwelling. Worst case scenario, I sit in McDonald's 4 hours a day until it charges back up, along with my other devices, but long-term this would likely become tiresome.

Lots of the guys have been really helpful with questions I have asked. Much of the solar - I just don't get.

What I have learned.
Get 2 six volt batteries and hook them together for 12V.
Get 200 watts of solar panels, that should take care of most needs.
Use 10 gauge wire.
Figure out a roof mount or suitcase style for amount of sun, etc - ect.

Hook panels to batteries. Hook batteries to inverter. Plug in stuff to inverter.
Someplace in there I need a fuse and a controller.

I read the solar thread until my head hurts, then ask questions.

michele0203 said:
I use a cpap machine to sleep so it's very important that I have enough juice so  that I can sleep/ breathe through the night.  I'll have to do a search on the individual you mentioned.

Do a search on here for cpap. There's been a couple threads dealing with needing a cpap. Reading those may help you formulate any additional questions you have to make sure you are covered since it's not something you can use less if the sun hasn't been so cooperative. I think maybe even suggesting where to find the specific voltampelectricmeasurethingie for your machine to make it easier for people to help you size your solar system. Solar system, hehe. Oy with the poodles already!

If something battery needs translated into uhm, ladyspeak I think is the term that was coined, along the way just ask and maybe somebody'll have an answer. :)

LadyJo said:
Lots of the guys have been really helpful with questions I have asked. Much of the solar - I just don't get.

I read the solar thread until my head hurts, then ask questions.

LadyJo, I know what you mean. The thread I started "connect, disconnect..." really helped something click for me even if I never have a true working knowledge of solar. I don't think we need to fully understand it and that we will get lost if we read too much because there are differing opinions on how much to get, etc.---200 may/may not be enough if you plan to run a refer. I don't remember off the top of my head at the moment how much it needs. I think I agree with Bob that if you are in a position to do it get as much solar as you can from the start. How soon do you plan to be getting it?

I think the most challenging part is figuring out how to ask the questions you want answered in a way where the question you are asking gets answered the way you need it to for your own understanding. I think that's the hang-up between guy speak and gal speak sometimes.

Yes, that's the issue I've run into. I think I'm asking a question, but have gotten responses that say, 'just ask a question ' so I'm left dumb founded.
When you don't know much or anything about a subject you need it broken down step by step and don't always know what specific questions to even ask. At least, that's true for me.

No worries, I'll keep plugging along, I'm a fairly smart person with lots of determination so it's only a matter of time before things begin to click enough for me to gethe going. I've even thought about finding a class at the local community college as a way to learn, but we'll see.

anewbiewannabe said:
LadyJo, I know what you mean. The thread I started "connect, disconnect..." really helped something click for me even if I never have a true working knowledge of solar. I don't think we need to fully understand it and that we will get lost if we read too much because there are differing opinions on how much to get, etc.---200 may/may not be enough if you plan to run a refer. I don't remember off the top of my head at the moment how much it needs.  I think I agree with Bob that if you are in a position to do it get as much solar as you can from the start. How soon do you plan to be getting it?

I think the most challenging part is figuring out how to ask the questions you want answered in a way where the question you are asking gets answered the way you need it to for your own understanding. I think that's the hang-up between guy speak and gal speak sometimes.

I very much agree it is a gal vs. guy speak. We ask a very simple "Where does the cable go?" and we get a very complicated answer. I don't need to know how it works, I don't need to know why is works. All I really need to know is what parts connect to the other parts (and how) to get what I need to have. It would be great if I understood it, but I don't. Maybe once it is all in place and I use it, then I will get it?

If you can afford it, there are some plug and use options out there. It will cost more, but you don't have to worry about where this or that goes other than running your panel and plugging it into the unit. Goal zero and Kodiak systems are two that come to mind.