Generator to charge my batteries

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Therrol

Reaction score
Hey all, i've got a decent little solar setup going on. I've got 2 120W panels connected to a 20A solar charge controller. The batteries are 240ah trojan 6V models. They tend to last quite a while. I've read that it's a good idea to give them a proper charge with a three stage smart charger every once in a while. I've got a 60A smart charger I use when parked out at an RV park, but i'm planning to do a lot of dry camping this summer so I thought it might be good to get a generator that I can use in emergency situations. I need my laptop for work, so having electrical is essential!

I was considering one of these predator generators:
http://shedheads.net/predator-generator-reviews/

They look to be a decent little honda knockoff. They're available at harbor freight quite cheaply. My main concern is reliability and noise. It seems that the 120V outlets are just centertapped on the 240V output, so I believe that the true wattage output will be half that of the advertised value.

anyone else use a similar system or have thoughts on my concept?

those are pretty big and heavy generators just to run a battery charger. highdesertranger

What is your 60 amp charger?

When generator recharging, one should be aiming to attain 80% charged as fast as possible, so that the solar then has enough time to hold absorption voltage as long as needed to complete the true full charge.

Many RV converters will not either seek a good absorption voltage Nor hold what it does achieve long enough.

A premature drop to 13.6v is a waste of gas and silence.

Have no fear of feeding those batteries 70  amps when super depleted and using the generator.

http://www.bestconverter.com/PD-9270C-148-70-Amp-RV-ConverterCharger_p_619.html#.WKpUR9IrKQM

You didn't say what kind of vehicle you have.  How are you going to carry it?  It weighs over 200 lbs, you won't be lifting and moving it yourself   (Unless you routinely bench press large amounts of weight in your daily workout.)

A lot of people swear by those little quiet Honda eu2000, put out a lot less current but should be OK long as you're not pulling the Trojans down too low overnight.

Otherwise look at something in between, I'd say 120 lbs max. And rig a good locking setup. . .

800 running watts or so is all you need. check out some of the inverter generators out there.

The Champion 3500/4000 120v is a better choice with cleaner output, still it is loud and heavy. I replaced mine with a tiny 800/1000w Sportsman inverter generator but let my bank get too low and it can't handle my 55 amp converter rated at 975w.

The best bet is a 2000w inverter generator from one of the big three, Honda, Yamaha or Champion. They weigh half as much, are much quieter and the Champion cost about twice as much as the open frame. They also use less gas and are not throw away products.

I have a Westinghouse 2000i. It has been fine for a year, now.

For comparison:

I bought a Sportsman 3500 / 4000 dual fuel generator last Thanksgiving from Home Depot. Gas or propane. Surprisingly quiet for its size, but it is an open-frame, construction-time generator, not the suitcase inverter type. 

I'm mentioning this generator for two reasons. First, I realized that it is too large for my application. Both in terms of size and weight. I estimate now that I need something in the 2000 range, inverter type. Second,  although it is still practically brand new, I have decided to sell it. If you know anybody in the left half of the country who would like such a generator at almost half off, let me know please.

Tom

60 amp @ 12 volt = 720 watts.

Mis dos centavos:

I have the smallest Harbor Freight generator they carry. It's 700 watt continuous, 900 watt peak. It cost $80 with a coupon a few years ago. I loaned it to my brother last week during a power outage and he ran it for over 40 hours straight without issue. It powered his fridge, DSL modem, router, and laptop. No issues. I don't think I'd need more than that for my RV unless I was running an AC A/C unit. I advised my brother to pick up a 4kw HF generator to cover him the next time there is a natural disaster as he is in a regular house.

@Vagabound: which left part of the country are you in? If you are near the central coast of California, I'm interested in your generator. Shoot me a messsage or reply here.

Bud Smiley said:
-snip-
I loaned it to my brother last week during a power outage -snip-
I advised my brother to pick up a 4kw HF generator to cover him the next time

My advice to your brother is "save your money and And stay on real good terms with your brother."

Seriously, if 700 is enough 4k wil just cost more in fuel and purchase price. The little one is as noisy as a chain saw. Maybe a 1k inverter would be quieter.