Generator fuel tank bypass

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unicutie

Reaction score
I'm using an aux tank on my Honda 2200 via the fuel cap. I don't like it for various reasons namely that it's unreliable and I'm wondering if anyone has bypassed the fuel tank completely and set it up to run purely on an externalfuel tank.

Unreliable how?

I’ve been running a Honda EU2000i with an auxiliary fuel tank via the fuel cap and haven't add any issues.

I'm not familiar with your generator, but with any small gasoline powered machine, there is some type of connection between the fuel tank and the rest of the fuel system. It's usually a short piece of hose and goes to something like a shutoff valve, priming bulb, fuel filter, fuel pump or maybe straight to the carburetor. Whichever, replace that first section with a hose of the same inside diameter that's long enough to reach your external tank.

well I have looked into those to and seeing as how Honda doesn't make one and the ones available come from many places. I would imagine that there is a wide variety of quality. remember some companies don't care what they sell you and making something that actually works cuts into their profit margin.

however having said all that, remember that the second tank must have a breather. many gas cans nowadays do not. that is why a small boat portable gas tank works so well.

highdesertranger

I have a Yamaha 3000 Inverter generator I am going to do this to. I have seen videos where you get a vacuum pulse powered fuel pump. My Polaris ATV uses one form the factory So I will probably do mine with that type of pump so that I can use the same part multiple places. You have to disable the PCV valve built in the the head cover and add an external PCV valve. You add the pump between the head breather hose and the new external PCV valve. The fuel out put of the pump gets teed in to the fuel line between built in tank shutoff and the crab. You run the external source with the internal tank petcock switch off or else it will fill up the internal tank. Bonus you can still use the internal tank when you don't have the external source connected.

Brlux said:
Bonus you can still use the internal tank when you don't have the external source connected.

That's a handy thing.

I running a honda 2200 and the cap I'm using is the aluminum one that you see on Amazon. It doesn't thread well, nevermind the fact that threading aluminum onto plastic is pretty stupid, and it's hard to maintain a vacuum seal. It will generally run up to about 12 hours before it loses the seal then it stop s drawing fuel and dies around the 18hr Mark.

The next thing I'm gonna try is just to modify the original fuel cap to accept my fuel line. If it still gives me problems i will revisit this idea.

Thanks mr noodly and brlux for the ideas. Putting a t with a valve seems like an interesting idea.

Although i won't do this probably, if you took out the fuel thank altogether it would possibly free up enough space to put an electric starter ;) anda little battery spliced into the 12v circuit. Maybe someday I'll have an opportunity to work on hacks like these.