Gasoline question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, today I went to get gas.  On the gas cap it says E85.  It was also on the inside of the little door to the cap.  I also paid attention at the pump.  87% is the lowest grade of gas.  So that's what I put in.  I hope I did right.  So it appears that this van will use the E85.  I guess my eyeballs weren't blurring out on me doing all that reading. 

it's a GM minivan, 2007 or newer, right, with a yellow gas cap? if that's right it's "flex fuel" which means you can run any pump gas(85-93) and you can also run e85 which is cheaper and will give you a little more power but worse gas mileage.<br><br>GM hasn't made any e85 only vehicles for the US that i know of. in south america it's common for cars to only run on e85 or e100<br><br>gasoline:<br>octane: resistance to pre-detonation, the higher the number the harder to ignite. these are not % it can be anywhere from 85 to over 110 for race gas, these are just a number with no letters or symbols, the lowest octane at a pump is called "regular" this is the highest grade you need<br>ethonal percentage: most gas is e10-15, e85 is 85% ethonal and 15% gas, ethanol is cheaper to produce but carries less BTUs so burns more to do the same action. these are dictated by an E beofre the % of ethonal, E85 and E100 are common