Gas Siphon (Tasteless)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasper

Reaction score
The propane conversion for gasoline generators brought this on.  I was considering that conversion due to lugging a gas can, while knowing a 35 gallon gasoline tank was right there under the van, with access blocked for easy siphoning. 

After mulling a while, the vent tube alongside the much larger fuel feed for the pump nozzle on my 94 Econoline got my attention.  

I removed the fuel fill assembly, drilled a hole near the top slightly smaller (tight seal) than the outside diameter of a 1/4" fuel line, then inserted the fuel line to nearly the bottom of the fuel tank.  Since the fuel tank is sealed, blowing a little air into the tank, then releasing, pushes fuel back out through the lowered fuel line into whatever's below.  Siphoning by blowing to start.

A fuel shutoff valve at the end seals the fuel line when not in use.  The line will curl around and down inside the fuel door when not in use.  Barely noticeable.

I feared the partial vent tube blockage would cause spitback though the main fill nozzle when fueling.  Never for over a year now, even with the 1/4" siphon line valve closed.

Not shown is a small lead weight attached on the tank end to keep the fuel line lowered.

Attachments

• IMG_0729.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • shopping.png
    shopping.png
    5 KB · Views: 87
  • phpZ1HnRuAM.jpg
    phpZ1HnRuAM.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 20
I forgot to mention the effects of gasahol effects on fuel line.  Although the above pictured fuel line specifically states resistant to ethanol mixtures, I've had it soften when in constant contact over a few years.