siphon for gas tank to generator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailer-t

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a convenient siphoning system to get gasoline
from my Chevy Suburban gas tank to my generator?
I have like a 43 gallon fuel tank on the Suburban and would
like to be able to fill the 1.3 gallon tank on my Champion 2000 watt
inverter/generator from the SUV fuel tank (don't want to suck gas through a hose).
If this is something that is not recommended for some reason please feel free to
correct my thoughts.  My primary fuel reserve is a 5 gallon metal fuel tank which
can hold for several days.

Thanks  trailer-t

what year is the Suburban? 99% of newer vehicles have anti siphon measures employed. can you even get a siphon hose down the fill neck?

there are other ways.

highdesertranger

It is 1999 Suburban with a 350. I have no idea what I can stick into the tank .
Just had an idea that popped into my head and am not sure if it is even feasible.
A shame to have all that stored fuel reserve that could run a generator for a long time.

Thanks

Thanks bass- sears, that is kinda what I was thinking about -- like a boat, but will need to see about
the issue raised by highdesertranger. trailer-t

The marine style squeeze bulbs are nice for particular applications, but for siphoning gas from automobiles it's easier to just use a small diameter clear hose (1/4” X 6' long) to suck start a siphon. The clear hose allows you to see the fuel before it reaches your mouth, and the small diameter minimizes fumes.

Regarding cleanup: Fuel will remain in a squeeze bulb pump after use, whereas cleaning just a tiny hose is as easy as hanging it up for a short period of time to completely drain and evaporate the residual fuel.

Joe Dirt said:
. . . but for siphoning gas from automobiles it's easier to just use a small diameter clear hose (1/4” X 6' long) to suck start a siphon.
 . . . Fuel will remain in a squeeze bulb pump after use . . . 

IMHO it is just not worth the risk.  Inhale gas once and you are a sick puppy (BTDT).  And you are always inhaling a little gas vapor.  Who knows what that will do to your health.

If you drain them properly, no more gas remains in the squeeze bulb than in the tube.  Hang them tank side down.

Many boat stores carry hand squeeze pumps with hoses. They used them on outboard motors. here is a cheap version https://www.harborfreight.com/fluid-siphon-pump-62613.html

There are also hand transfer pumps. https://www.harborfreight.com/Multi...Wq2LZZ45zM1NsAu7k5dF8qq8nvlbFLxkaAi-LEALw_wcB

I would tee into the fuel line and install an electric fuel pump on a momentary switch.
The problem that I see with a siphon system is the genny has to be lower than the fuel tank level and there is a risk that it will over fill if unattended. If you do stay and attend to it, it will be slower than a pump.

Thanks Danny, I am going to try to snake down the boat pump thingee but I am not competent to start with
tapping into the fuel system hardware. I wish I had those skills, but I will need to admit incompetence on messing with the
tapping and such in the fuel lines. :) t

Strange, I was going to ask the same question and got sidetracked... :D 

2002 GMC Savana - I can get past the flange/flipper metal thingie - it's right a the top of the filler but is there an anti-siphon device further down that will defeat me.

I'm on day 1 of mandatory quarantine here in Canada and I normally only carry 5 - 6 days worth of gas...gotta go 14 this time. Figured I'd siphon from the gas tank. I bought one of those pump siphons that has the 6' of line and it looks to be just about 1/4" diameter.

Belt and Suspenders attitude - I bought an extra gas can just in case!

You are one step ahead of me since you already got the boat pump thingee in hand.
Let us know--I have a 1999 Chevy and wonder about the anti syphon issue raised from
highdesertranger above. trailer-t