FYI: Veterans Affairs programs for homeless Veterans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, this is good info to have. Hope I never need it but good to know it's available.

There is this little known benefit from the VA called "basic pension".   It pays up to $1,076 per month (single no dependents) if you meet the requirements.  They are paraphrased here:

* must have served 24 hours active duty in a time of war  (Korea, Vietnam etc) followed by 90 days of active service after that and not dishonorably discharged;
* must be disabled (they consider anyone 65 or over 100% disabled);
* there are asset requirements also, but they are reasonable;
* recurring medical expenses are not counted as income;
* they will subtract any other income source from the $1,076.

Example:   Jack gets a Social Security Check of $885.00.   He pays $114.00 for MediCare part B. His SS check is $771.00
all other qualifications met he would be allowed $1,076 less $771.00, or a check each month of $305.00 in addition to his SS check.    An extra $305.00 each month comes in handy!

Thanks 66788.
Here are some related stuff to his post:

https://www.benefits.va.gov/pension/

Eligibility Requirements

Pension benefits are needs-based and your "countable" family income must fall below the yearly limit set by law. Veterans must have at least 90 days of active duty, including one day during a wartime period. If the active duty occurred after September 7, 1980, you must have served at least 24 months or the full period that you were called up (with some exceptions).

How to Apply for Veterans Pension

You can apply for Veterans Pension online or download and complete VA Form 21P-527EZ, “Application for Pension”. You can mail your application to the Pension Management Center (PMC) that serves your state. You may also visit your local regional benefit office and turn in your application for processing. You can locate your local regional benefit office using the VA Facility Locator.

Also, if you think some of your health problems are caused while you are in service, you would apply for VA Compensation.
While you can apply for both, you cannot have both VA Pension or Compensation. It's one or the other.
Pension would pay out more, until about 60% compensation rate.

Pension is taxable, Compensation is NOT texable.

Too much to cover in this post.

If anyone has further questions about VA benefits, look at my signature.

Edit: Upon further research, Pension is also considered non taxable income

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/information-for-veterans - Do not include disability benefits you receive from the VA in your gross income. In particular some of the payments which are considered disability benefits include:
•Disability compensation and pension payments for disabilities paid either to Veterans or their families,

https://benefits.va.gov/pension/vetpen.asp - Pension is a tax-free monetary benefit payable to low-income wartime Veterans.

I was confusing it with Military Retirement Pay, which is taxable income. - http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/H...or_Military_Retirement_Pensions.html?serv=147

66788 said:
There is this little known benefit from the VA called "basic pension".   It pays up to $1,076 per month (single no dependents) if you meet the requirements.  They are paraphrased here:

* must have served 24 hours active duty in a time of war  (Korea, Vietnam etc) followed by 90 days of active service after that and not dishonorably discharged;
* must be disabled (they consider anyone 65 or over 100% disabled);
* there are asset requirements also, but they are reasonable;
* recurring medical expenses are not counted as income;
* they will subtract any other income source from the $1,076.

Example:   Jack gets a Social Security Check of $885.00.   He pays $114.00 for MediCare part B. His SS check is $771.00
all other qualifications met he would be allowed $1,076 less $771.00, or a check each month of $305.00 in addition to his SS check.    An extra $305.00 each month comes in handy!

Current recipient of VA Non-Service Connected pension( basic pension). income =$1075/mo. I am letting SSI grow to 1500/mo and then will switch over and then possibly start work camping. Started collecting at 58. Rules are much more lenient than SS disability. You also get free medical including prescriptions at any VA hospital or outreach. Free lifetime national park pass. Discounted park amenities at state and national levels. Looks like Arizona may have disability exemption for sales tax at DMV level( would like to know for sure).

Ran into two living in their cars so far- one i badgered into promising to go to the County Veteran's Service Officer (CVSO), and the other was a Vietnam Vet, he hated the system so much he has just "stepped away"- unfortunately all too common- don't want to think about what they did to keep them on the highest rungs of bitterness for four-five decades.

While there's VA programs,  state, cities,  counties and NGOs have others.
For instance, Minnesota will just GIVE a Veteran $5000 based on need- among other things.

My suggestion is to go to the CVSO to coordinate the Veteran's needs amongst the various authorities.

Links Sometimes and 66788 posted are invaluable- VA is wildly complex- rules literally change several times a day- and very few people actually know what they're doing-
So, those who do their own research are rewarded.

After my husband was downsized out of his last two professional positions, we survived on his early social security and part time jobs.  Of course, lost all health insurance and couldn't pay for any treatment if we had it since premiums and deductibles became unmanageable.  Both of us were in the AF and qualified for VA health benefits.  We live in the Iowa City VA district and have been treated VERY well.  They even paid for his eye surgery to be done by a local doctor because they didn't have any timely openings at the big clinic.  My general doctor is so nice I could just adopt him.  I know some areas have big problems but we have been treated very well.  Dentally, I'm falling apart but can't have everything :)

UptownSport said:
unfortunately all too common- don't want to think about what they did to keep them on the highest rungs of bitterness for four-five decades.

I can tell you weren't in the service during Viet Nam.  If you were off base, and walking, you got garbage and trash thrown on your from passing cars.  You got cussed at and threatened.  It was not really safe to walk around alone.  When you got out of the service you couldn't get a job - not because there were no jobs but because a lot of places just didn't want "those types of people" working for them.  You had to lie on applications about never having been in the military to get work.   Your educational benefits expired 6 years after you got out of the service.  Perhaps the Viet Vet walked away because he didn't want to deal anymore with any of it.  I know all these things happened because I was there and they happened to me.  I don't go to the VA for anything.  When I got out I had a medical problem related to my time in service.  With my records on his desk in from of him a Doctor at the VA told me I was lying and denied me access to medical services.  I haven't been back to the VA in almost 45 years now.

Maybe - just maybe it wasn't what he did that has kept him bitter all this time but how he was treated?

geogentry said:
I can tell you weren't in the service during Viet Nam. 

Maybe - just maybe it wasn't what he did that has kept him bitter all this time but how he was treated?

I was in the AF between 1974-78.  My husband was in before and after that.  I didn't experience those things as I was working in a base hospital and maybe that made a difference.  I had a cousin who was in the Army and he never recovered.

geogentry said:
 I haven't been back to the VA in almost 45 years now.

These people are exceeding smart- they are very good at getting you to do exactly what you did- walk away.
If you have the decision, you need to take it to your county officer, get service connected, then ask about a Clear and Unmistakable Error. (CUE).
If you you don't have the decision, you need to have the CVSO get it.

There are people who will help you, and you need to get what's due you.
Believe me, i understand how you feel.
Things have changed in the last 45 years.

geogentry 

Maybe - just maybe it wasn't what he did

Of course not- he was a boy they handed a rifle and told to go to some rathole for eight months.

hausmutti said:
I was in the AF between 1974-78.  My husband was in before and after that.  I didn't experience those things as I was working in a base hospital and maybe that made a difference.  I had a cousin who was in the Army and he never recovered.

Depending on the branch of the service Your husband may have seen it.  It was ugly what was done to the soldiers.

Sorry to hear about your cousin.  There were a lot of them that didn't make it all the way back home.  They just sent them over to hell, brought them back broken and threw them away.  Just like the POW that got left behind.  They were just a name and a number on a piece of paper somewhere.

I am glad things have changed for all the service people now.

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]UptownSport[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]

It is not that they were smart - they didn't, and don't, want any reminders.

You see your are mistaken.  I don't "need" to get anything from them.  Sure I am entitled to some benefits, but I dont NEED them.  No I am not living the life of Riley but I have food to eat and a place to sleep.  How about if the government takes all the money that I am entitled to receive and they put it toward hiring an extra doctor or nurse to take care of the soldiers getting blown up by IED now?  Or how about if they just take it and feed some of the hungry children we have in America?  They should be able to find one or two there only 16 million of them.

Yes I know things have changed.  Civilians that have never been in the service don't spit on soldiers anymore, verbally or otherwise.

geogentry said:
 How about if the government takes all the money ...

and gives it to the Veteran to whom it's due.
A Veteran like you.