Futon Beds

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
Anyone seen a good build using a futon? I've seen the many slide-out slat seat/beds, but what I'm looking for is something that has used the hinges from a basic futon. In a cross van sleeping arrangment, I realize that the end arms of the couch waste too much room, so they would need to go...

Thanks for any input!

I have pulled the side mechanism that let's a full size futon fold into a lounge, and remounted those how I wanted. Did it in two different builds. The FreeWheelin', and the She Beast.
http://www.pbase.com/lowtech9/rigs

If that's what you mean, I wasn't happy w/ them.

Thanks Lowtech, that's what I needed to see. Enjoyed browsing through your gallery, will definitely go back and view some of your other builds!

So please tell me why you didn't like the bed design... support, comfort, mattress quality, or...?

ty

The RV I'm renting has a futon couch. The mechanism is a pain in the tuckus even able to stand upright with plenty of room!

I found that model to have somewhat crappy futons, the kind you can feel the too few supports underneath. We upgraded to a better futon and then the springs weren't strong enough to make it fold.

When folded into a lounge the back is too far away. So you end up w/ some pillows stuffed behind you, or your legs sticking out straight.

I still belive in folding beds/futons, just have to make them my own way.
Will be doing one in the Draggable.

LowTech said:
I found that model to have somewhat crappy futons, the kind you can feel the too few supports underneath. We upgraded to a better futon and then the springs weren't strong enough to make it fold.

When folded into a lounge the back is too far away. So you end up w/ some pillows stuffed behind you, or your legs sticking out straight.

I still belive in folding beds/futons, just have to make them my own way.
Will be doing one in the Draggable.

Yeah, that's what I always hated about futons...my back won't tolerate them for long. I picture making one with only the hinges used from original bed, making custom width seat/ back as you said.

Designing the platforms is a bit tricky with just wood though, and I can imagine having to pay for some custom welding to create the 2 frames. The platforms themselves would be similar to a hollow core door I think. If anyone runs across pics of something like that, plz post'em. :)

LowTech said:
I have pulled the side mechanism that let's a full size futon fold into a lounge, and remounted those how I wanted. Did it in two different builds. The FreeWheelin', and the She Beast.

That frame you built on your work truck looks awesome. Do you know how much the whole cap weighs?

Brad,
I found Futons to have zero support as a daily used bed. The folding concept is great, but zero for serious long term cheaprver's

myke said:
That frame you built on your work truck looks awesome. Do you know how much the whole cap weighs?

Thanks, and no idea. That was built for someone else on a 1 ton chassis. Never got weighed.
Think it was only used for a couple years before they started using small trucks and living S&B.
The original plan was to add a cab - over & build a bottom so that it could be a slide-out.

I'm using a futon mattress in my overcab, but not the futon frame. If I were to build a bed without an overcab area, I think I would still use a futon mattress and no frame. I'd sew heavy loops at 4 points in the mattress, and have 4 hooks that correspond: A bench with two hooks where the back meets the wall, and two additional hooks high up on the wall. During the day the mattress would be a "couch" hooked in place at 90 degrees on the bench/wall. At night it would be unhooked and slide down to be totally horizontal. The bench would have a fold-out or slide to accommodate the rest of the mattress width at night.

I found this site recently. It's pricey but interesting. I was liking the chair with no arms (freedom) and matching ottoman.

http://www.bigfuton.com/products.html

The design is interesting but you lose all your under-futon storage space. Better to copy it sorta, keeping the chair part flat with way to lift up head end to use as a chair/backrest and have the separate piece that can still be your ottoman.

LowTech said:

Holy crap you guys do some cool builds! We saw "free wheelin" at the last rtr but was too chicken to go over and say hello. Hope to see the deuce & 1/2 some time and maybe you'd be willing to show off your work in person.

I'm always open to talk builds.

Will be in the deuce (Draggin') and trailer this year, and most of the time. The FW I use when my mom's coming out, she is the co-builder on that, or the Draggin' is occupied (or needing work like last year).
Right now I'm still "camping" in the trailer, so no nice build yet.
Have the thread here somewhere, . . .
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=11562

I will be building my own fold up futon for added seating in that, just have to satisfy the Draggin' first. It wants a new power unit.