Fulltime 1971 VW Bus Life

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AircooledHome

Reaction score
hello all!

I am finishing a revamp of my house on wheels, a 1971 VW Bus.
I have been living in it for about 6 months but only off and on, because I have been having serious mechanical hiccups along the road.

here are a few photos!

Screen_Shot_2017-12-21_at_12.50.22_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2017-12-21_at_12.50.03_PM.png

I know VW bugs very well, the van is the same but different body, an old school vw is very easy to fix and keep running once you learn a little about them, you can pull the engine in 15 min, trans in another 15 min.

On the engine the points in the distributor need to be changed if its starts running rough, other than that they are bullet proof.

Uh Oh...  Youtube link (& this post) deletion in 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - .........      :p

Cool looking van.  :cool:

BigT said:
Uh Oh...  Youtube link (& this post) deletion in 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - .........      :p

Cool looking van.  :cool:

Weird rule, its assuming all new people are bad.

But hey its like Bob said no dogs off leash at RTR but then he posts a video with his dog off leash.

Just ribbing bob...

Chuck1 said:
I know VW bugs very well, the van is the same but different body, an old school vw is very easy to fix and keep running once you learn a little about them, you can pull the engine in 15 min, trans in another 15 min.

On the engine the points in the distributor need to be changed if its starts running rough, other than that they are bullet proof.
They are compact, and easy to work on.
Thats cute though, Im a mechanic and have been through 5 engines in the past 6 months. I dont run points it's electronic ignition 1776 full flow with dual dellortos. 

Welcome to the CRVL forums AircooledHome! Sorry but BigT is right - no links until you have made at least ten substantial posts. Please keep posting and show us some more pictures of the work you have done!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

AircooledHome said:
Thats cute though, Im a mechanic and have been through 5 engines in the past 6 months. I dont run points it's electronic ignition 1776 full flow with dual dellortos.

I asumed it was stock, my last baja bug had a 2332, when i was 13yr old i designed and built my own said rail (my tube frame design) my dad raced stock cars and off road and ran a big shop so i had access to tube benders welders and everything.

I was building up 2180s when i was 15 years old

How can a mechanic go through 5 engines in 6 months

Yeah im cute

Chuck1 said:
I asumed it was stock, my last baja bug had a 2332, when i was 13yr old i designed and built my own said rail (my tube frame design) my dad raced stock cars and off road and ran a big shop so i had access to tube benders welders and everything.

I was building up 2180s when i was 15 years old

How can a mechanic go through 5 engines in 6 months

Yeah im cute
I didn't build cases, I had a builder do the shortblock. He was a good guy that sucked at what he did. He warranted them each time they failed. 
[quote pid='368390' dateline='1517763718']

Definitely not stock. I dont know anything, i just know points replacement isn't how to keep an aircooled vw alive ;) 
[/quote]

AircooledHome said:
[quote pid='368390' dateline='1517763718']

... i just know points replacement isn't how to keep an aircooled vw alive ;) 

[/quote]

Have to weigh in:
I currently own an '85 Westfalia which, since '99, has taken me deep into mainland MX and back numerous times.  But before my waterboxer, I owned several air cooled buses.  Complex topic, but what I recall most was that it was a major issue/of great import to keep the valves adjusted.  Engine overheated on hills &, one valve in particular, always got too tight. 

While driving years ago in Guatemala, thru mountains, often had to do valve adjustment daily to keep engine from blowing.  My waterboxer more dependable/with more passing ability, but complex/expensive for non-wrench like me.  I managed well when I had travel related income which was 'cost of doing business' expense & I could pay for good VW guru to thoroughly go over the van before travel. 

So yes, old air cooled buses are easier to work on.  And good thing!  Because to keep them running dependably all the time you will be working on them a LOT.  Lots of other VW bus travelers met in my adventures SOB met with long frustrating delays due to breakdowns.  (An old BF called them Nazi Lockers, lol)

:cool: Charlotte

If you need to adjust the valves everyday your doing something wrong, maybe not tightening the adjusters down right, metal simple cant wear-strech that much in one day.

Or

best to adjust the valves when the engine is cold

Chuck1 said:
If you need to adjust the valves everyday your doing something wrong, maybe not tightening the adjusters down right, metal simple cant wear-strech that much in one day.   Or best to adjust the valves when the engine is cold

Of course I adjusted valves when engine cold!
Must have been doing something right!  Bought bus in LA, took off two days later, drove all the way to Guatemala where I traveled around for almost a year, then back to CA,

Never spent any time on side of road.  Changed oil/filter every 3 months.  Never pushed the speed.  And, following old wisdom, kept bus washed.  Worked for me.  (women!...)
But then, what do *I* know?

:rolleyes: Charlotte

Guatemala, what a drive, you have to admit you made it sound like you had to work on it everyday

What does being a woman have to do with it, i treated you the same as the vw guy in the thread.

Chuck1 said:
Guatemala, what a drive, you have to admit you made it sound like you had to work on it everyday

What does being a woman have to do with it, i treated you the same as the vw guy in the thread.

Relax!  Where's your sense of humor???

Got really good/fast at adjusting valve---just used my gapper to check, always the same one needed 'fix'.
Insto/presto---done!  Only required after a real mountain haul.  In all that time in Guatemala, never once
perceived myself as WORKING at anything. 

I'm not touchy about being of the fair sex... :p
Charlotte

Ahhh there's so much quote murder going on in this thread. When you hit reply the cursor already starts out in the correct position, under the quote you're replying to. Just start typing. But if you decided to click then click under the text that is already there including underneath the end quote tag.

Click to see example.
howtoquote.jpg

Attachments

• howtoquote.jpg
    howtoquote.jpg
    90.6 KB
Charlotte

Its getting hard to tell as a man one way or another, most women are cool, some think if you open the door for them its sexiest.

I put you on my cool chick list, oh wait was that misogynistic :)

Chuck1 said:
Charlotte
Its getting hard to tell as a man one way or another, most women are cool, some think if you open the door for them its sexiest.  I put you on my cool chick list, oh wait was that misogynistic :)

Let's stay on topic.  Since you've raised issue of 'doors' I offer a few thoughts on the 2 types of VW side doors.
Once, only bardoors an option.  Both my buses had that type.  Many advantages, especially when setting up outdoor kitchen.

On the other hand, my current Westy has a sliding door.  Once you get the knack of keeping it sliding smoothly, there is also much to appreciated.  Traveling solo, in sometimes dicey circumstances, it's comforting to know I can quickly slam door shut, so to speak.  Not quiet tho, so that can be an issue.  Biggest challenge near beaches is necessity of sand removal from sliding track.  Once clean, a good white grease lube keeps it happy,

(I do not engage in the war of the sexes.  I like the differences between men/women.  If a man chooses to use
language that could be perceived as obnoxious or outdated, I consider that to be a reflection upon him & not me.)

So: Barn Door vs Sliding?  ........Love the one you're with!
:angel:  Charlotte

AircooledHome said:
If the entire thread was banter, this was the sexist part. Hang out a bit and I wont be off mark.

Anyway, obviously no one does there valves everyday, and cyl 3 exhaust always get tight abuse,, so regardless of who you are, were all on the same page.

I wish I had barndoors. I see these brazilian busses that are 70's style busses, but have the split type side doors, amazing! (aka hasta alaska)

I have a slider and Its fine.. Noisy, takes alot to maintain, doesnt give out door kitchen options and generally falls apart over the years.

OMG i have taped lots of so cal bitches, i think Aircool might be my son,  3 valve exhaust has always been the holy grail

My kids drove 68 bugs in school. Two places kept them running like sewing machines, Kimco in Costa Mesa and Canyon German in Laguna Beach. Timing adjustment every 90 days on both of them. Heater always fail and breaks are problematic as well. Very cheap to work on..