Frugal Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barkingwaters

Reaction score
I'm thinking about my next project, which would be to insulate the floor of my 1994 g20 van, that would mean taking up the carpet and padding, laying down foam insulation and 3/4" plywood.<br /><br />But, frugal me wonders why take up the carpet and padding, why not just put the plywood over the top of it and save the time, energy and expense.<br /><br />Am I the only one wondering this?&nbsp; Why wouldn't it be just as effective.&nbsp; And, if the reason is because there's not enough insulation, then why not just put down a thinner foam layer over the carpet then the plywood?<br /><br />OK, I'm ready to hear why this is not a good idea or at least why all the work and expense would be better.<br /><br />Donna - just a single vandwelling (almost) lady trying to do this conversion thing on the cheap - with very little tools and even less knowledge ;-}<br /><br /><br />

I'm sure there's people that have done it. If frugal is your goal then why not? I would be afraid of trapping moisture down in the carpet, either from rust holes underneath or a leak somehow from above. Then you get moldy, mildewy, and stinky carpet down there. For me the answer would really depend on how long you intend to use your van.

drivebyandy said:
I'm sure there's people that have done it. If frugal is your goal then why not? I would be afraid of trapping moisture down in the carpet, either from rust holes underneath or a leak somehow from above. Then you get moldy, mildewy, and stinky carpet down there. For me the answer would really depend on how long you intend to use your van.
<br /><br />You raise a valid point about not removing the carpet from the floor of the van. As you mentioned, all the problems you mentioned could become a problem in the future. It probably makes sense to get down to the bare metal to verify you don't have bigger issues. If we plan to spend a great deal of time in our vans it makes sense to look for problems that could affect us in the future. Due diligence &amp; all!

Yup I was to also say mold and mildew from moisture that may get into the old carpet... Water has a terrible way of finding its way into even the most sealed places... Don't forget to silicone during installation and then again from underneath..

Thanks, y'all I didn't think about mold and mildew. I can see valid reasons now to remove the carpet and pad. BUT. If I never decided to put down plywood then I would be dealing with the same carpet/pad problems, right?

This will soon be my full time abode.

I'd like to hear more comments on the subject and especially from someone that didn't remove the carpet/pad.

Donna

Denshield is a water proof board used for backing tile: it cuts and installs like drywall, but it is very light. Screw it down with drywall screws. No mold or mildew problem. You score it with a razor knife and break it. Strong enough to support tile so it doesn't crack when walked upon.

More expensive, but should have good insulation value. I've used it extensively in our home under tile.

Just a consideration.

http://www.google.com/search?q=tile...d+price&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Is it better than foam? Don't know. Just a thought.

We did our 77 van frugally - put done the plywood, doubled up (or better) on carpet padding, the carpet, the slept on the floor in sleeping bags.

what I did with my 85 Chevy G20 is pulled the carpet and padding... Then put down reflectix, followed by 2 layers of carpet padding and the cut and laid 3/4" plywood to fit... I pre-drilled and then filled with silicon the hole and then sank flush sheet metal screws... I then went under and siliconed the screws from the bottom... I have been full timing for close to two years now with no water issues... The one issue I have is when it gets really cold the floor will be cold to the point that insulated slippers really didn't keep my feet warm... I&nbsp; made it bearable with a folded wool army blanket laid in front of my bed...

Latest posts