Friends of Bob 2016 Slab City Encampment

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbgenrich

Reaction score
I'm pleased to report that the Friends of Bob 2016 Slab City Encampment is already a big success!!!

We've had about 20 different Friends of Bob here and we've had a blast! 

The Range of course is a fascinating experience, and our own Eugene played last Saturday to much applause. Last week and today we are going to watch the sunset over the Salton Sea at Bombay Beach and to Taco Night at their American Legion post with some live music and interesting characters. The Oasis Club serves a great breakfast Sunday mornings and dinner Wednesday evenings - both totally worth doing. Thursdays from 1PM to ?PM Jimi Austin James hosts bands at the VIPer Lounge. You can tailgate with me (free outside the fence) or pay the small cover and take your chair inside the fence and dance and buy whatever they might be serving for lunch. I would not miss it!. 

And there's more!! Our group might have a campfire with music. We watch sunset most every night from the nice little rise in the sandhills just beyond our encampment. We visit, we walk, we take newcomers to see Salvation Mountain and East Jesus and on and on. There was a parade at the Niland Tomato Festival and our own Pish was in it!

I just can't say enough about how fun this is ... but our encampment is shrinking ... WTF? ... that's how it goes. People come and people go. We look forward to seeing you here soon!!

We have setup a Facebook Group called "Friends of Bob 2016 Slab City Encampment" (what else) Link to Facebook Group

Join that for updates and photos of our adventures and to communicate with us. If you don't get accepted into the group it's because I don't know who you are (only Friends of Bob can join) ... so message me on Facebook or text me or something. Many of our events are included as group events (a little hard to find on FB but you can do it). Try to let me know if you are planning or wanting to come and I'll make sure you know what you need to including our exact location.

I enjoyed myself also, but I moved on after that first weekend. Plans and such.

I expect most of Bob's group are still in the LOWs. From the main road, there's a sign with a right-hand turn.

Has anyone run into "T" with his big blue box truck? He was setting up big aluminum tripod pyramid things and someone vandalised one. Hope he had better luck after I left.

I stayed longer at the slabs only because of the rtr folks i found there. Thanks cb and all who included me into your group.

Diane

Attachments

• 12657296_10153910317911197_4063408668563811216_o.jpg
    12657296_10153910317911197_4063408668563811216_o.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 28
Looking forward to seeing pics and getting up dates on the FB page. Sooooooo sorry to be missing the fun.

Can't wait to hear Eugene's slab city song!

Bob is ,,,,well , ya know Bob ! ;)
or, I think they are referring to THE Bob ! oooommmmmmmmmm...... :angel:

Bob is ,,,,well , ya know Bob !
wink.gif

or, I think they are referring to THE Bob ! oooommmmmmmmmm......
angel.gif
That's why Bob is smiling!

wagoneer said:
who is BOB?

At RTR, "our" Bob (Wells) made it a point to help folks hook up who wanted to go next to certain places --- like a group of those at RTR who wanted to see Slab City. So that group made a play on "Friends of Bill" (AA) and call themselves Friends of Bob.

There is a bridge here named Bob. They have a Bob festival and everything. They all get in the lake and start bobbing around, it's quite the sight. ;)

There used to be (might still be...) a town in Wyoming named "Bob", population: one.  Actually it was the local P.O. for the ranchers in the area, and by law was incorporated into a 'town', and the owner/operator was a guy named Bob.  Last I heard (quite some years ago) was that Bob was retiring and had the place up for sale.  That would be the ultimate 'retirement job', having your own 'town' and running the post office for the ranchers.  I guess you could appoint yourself Mayor, Police Chief and Dog Catcher, all in  one.   :cool:

Still cranking at Friends of Bob 2016 Slab City Encampment. Last weekend there was a Rave right next door and it was a blast (including an impressive explosion).

We have a pattern of weekly events plus some unique things happening like CouchSurfers staying at my place and the Rave. Music venues rule. The evenings are mild and pleasant lately.

Join our Facebook group (see first post) for events and related posts we put up about our activities (but only if you're here or think you might be, lurkers not needed). We will be here all month.

I may be swinging on by the Slabs in a few days. I'll drop a line when I get close.

It's great to see a series of positive posts about the slabs.
I'm not going to just pass by next time !!

WriterMs said:
At RTR, "our" Bob (Wells) made it a point to help folks hook up who wanted to go next to certain places --- like a group of those at RTR who wanted to see Slab City. So that group made a play on "Friends of Bill" (AA) and call themselves Friends of Bob.
Which is complicated by the fact that done AA folk who have never heard of Bob Wells say Friends of Dr. Bob, rather than say Bill.

Well the Friends of Bob 2016 Slab City Encampment has come to an end.

I want to thank everyone who came and took part, including a few we picked up while we have been here. It all came down like I hoped and I think most of us would agree that the synergy of the group improved the experience for all of us. There must have been 30 individuals overall, at one time 15-18 simultaneously.

Randy was a trouper and made 25 of 29 days. Pish was here when I got here and is staying past when I leave. She provided the early advice we needed to get off on the right foot. Thanks.

We:

• had Taco Tuesday at the American Legion post at Bombay Beach after watching the sun set over the Salton Sea
• had CouchSurfers here
• went to The Range
• went to the VIP'er Lounge
• had coffee at the Oasis Club, burgers there on Wednesday evenings with live acoustic music, Sunday breakfast there, and enjoyed an ice cream social fundraiser
• danced at Radio Mike's Fridays
• listened to acoustic music in the mellow setting of Sandy's Tuesdays
• there was a Rave nearby and I personally stayed up all night for the first time in a while
• watched many sunsets from the lovely sand hills next to our encampment
• made new friends, in and out of our group, and got to know them

I'm leaving Friday morning, only because of the heat. I come away fond of the place and wanting to return next year.

Summary: If I'm going to be boondocking somewhere in the low deserts, I think it's great to do it where you don't have to be moving and you have a community right there! I love Slab City!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    810.8 KB · Views: 25
Good post CB!

I enjoyed my week in Slab City and will return. One thing I would like to add to your list: getting up before sunrise to see Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn simultaneously with the naked eye! I would not have gotten up for it if you had not made me ‘pinky swear’ to be there.  

Damian