Fridge uses 0.15 to 0.18KWh in 24 hours

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainChaser

Reaction score
Converting a chest freezer to a chest refrigerator:

[Excerpt]
"We bought a brand new A plus rated Zanussi chest freezer of 260 l capacity, which is the same as our old Gas fridge and more than adequate. It consumes daily between about 150 and 180 watts, give or take a few. If you want to get all fussy as I know some do and I am always getting told off here for mixing power, energy etc the new fridge consumes 0.15KWh to 0.18KWh in any given 24 hours. Did I write that correctly? There is obviously a range depending on how often the fridge is opened but that is a pretty amazing set of numbers as far as I am concerned and for average daily use it is closer to the lower figure. This is in April of 2010 in relatively warm Spain. I imagine it will increase a little as the external temperature increases."
http://www.aselfsufficientlife.com/...on-the-most-energy-efficient-fridge-ever.html

This is the original post from Aussie Tom Chalko that I saw some years ago:  "A Fridge that Takes Only 0.1KWh a Day?"  http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/chest_fridge.pdf

Well watt hours are independent of voltage right?

So 18 watt hours, around 13V would be ~14AH per 24 hours.

Running as a fridge, sounds about right? Not set very cold, contents already cold, ambients not too high, decent insulation, not opening too often. . .

I don't even pretend to understand it, but it sounded interesting. 220v? That's what they have Down Under? Didn't know that.

I've been looking at this as well! I was looking at using the lid as counter space with a mechanism to lift the top and keep stuff level.

I was looking at two different ways to control the freezer short of building something custom, one is a mechanical one which they use for turning freezers into beer fermentation cabinets. (I can't link yet but if you search Amazon for Johnson Controls A19AAT-2C Freezer Temperature Controller you can see the mechanical one). Johnson also makes an electronic one (Johnson Controls A419ABC-1C Electronic Temp Controller) but I haven't looked up the power draw on it yet.

The other one is electronic (search Amazon for Inkbird Dual Stage 12V Digital Temperature Controller Fahrenheit Thermostat) but it looks like it burns about 3W and this one uses PID control (really precise) which may be bad for the compressor (too much on and off).

Precise is good, low self-consumption critical.

You just want a thermostat with an adjustable hysteresis gap between on and off.