Free Photo Editing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Optimistic Paranoid said:

Hmmm......  still unable to navigate this website.  Too cluttered and filled with graphic ads, I think.

I do use GIMP 2 and IrfanView, usually the latter for most simple manipulation.  For detail work, I really love MS Paint, an "oldie but goody" that I find easy and user-friendly while still being powerful enough for all my photo work needs.  I had Photoshop on my desktop, but just cannot justify the cost to put it on this laptop, as little as I use it.  Paint is also apparently unavailable, but I am trying "Paint.net".  If I can find a downloadable version of MS Paint I will use it.

LeeRevell said:
Paint is also apparently unavailable, but I am trying "Paint.net".  If I can find a downloadable version of MS Paint I will use it.

My Win 7 machine still has paint.  I just typed paint in the start menu search bar.  Win 8 may not have it (don't know).  I didn't go there.  I don't know about Win 10 yet and won't go there until at least service pack 1 comes out.

Brian

B and C said:
My Win 7 machine still has paint.  I just typed paint in the start menu search bar.  Win 8 may not have it (don't know).  I didn't go there.  I don't know about Win 10 yet and won't go there until at least service pack 1 comes out.

Brian

Win8/8.1 have basically NO productive applications installed.  You have to install what you need yourself.  Same with word processing and spreadsheet programs.  Adds to the setup time, trouble and expense.
One thing that guarentees I will NOT install Win10 is their ridiculous insistence on changing to a totally different browser, no choice offered.

I have Win 8.1 and it came with Paint. Swipe in from the right, tap "search" type in "paint" and it should be right there.

Maybe this is a repeat of your Snip problem and it;s right there and you just don't know it.

Have you considered the possibility of approaching Win 8.1 with an open mind?
Bob

akrvbob said:
I have Win 8.1 and it came with Paint. Swipe in from the right, tap "search" type in "paint" and it should be right there.

Maybe this is a repeat of your Snip problem and it;s right there and you just don't know it.

Have you considered the possibility of approaching Win 8.1 with an open mind?
Bob

Bob, you do have some uses!  :cool:
Yes, I found MS Paint.  Thanks.  It's still irksome the way they hide things that used to be in the Control Panel lists, or the tool bars.
As for "open mind"........  that makes NO difference when the OS is not optimized for a local production system.  I WILL not use "Cloud", "One Drive" or the cloud based Office software.  I simply have too little faith in someone else's 'security'.
But now overall usability has climbed from 85% to 90%........   Heck, in about four years at this rate, it'll be able to do everything my Win7 machine could do.  :D
As to free photo software, I do try various applications as I find them, IF I can get it to download.  This Laptop, either the built-in security or my add-on security software, prevents some software from downloading.  So I cannot always try a promising looking package.  I have also had bad experiences trying to download paid-for Adobe software packages.  Had to get help via their user forum once to try to receive a Photoshop package, with an add-on video package.  Finally got the Photoshop Elements downloaded, like getting a tooth pulled.  Never could get the video package I was promised and paid for.  So I tend to be gunshy buying online software.  This is a cheaper laptop, and may just not have the 'grunt' to do some things I want to do, which my Win7 desktop did so easily.
We "old dogs" just sometimes don't take well to 'new tricks'.......   :blush:

If you set your mind to refuse to make any effort to learn, you probably won't learn any new tricks.

But you're right, swiping in from the right, taping "search" and typing in "paint" is certainly beyond the capacity of the average guy.

I don't use the cloud either but you don't have to. Just buy them on CD and install them.
Bob

Again, it's NOT a problem 'learning' and certainly not a 'closed mind' thing.  Just that we each have a certain expeience set, that drives our preferences.   I have certain expectations regarding a computer vs. a small device.  They are really two different worlds, two different ways of doing things.  In my IT work, the kind of systems I worked with on a daily basis, Win8/8.1 would have brought us to a standstill.  Simply NOT compatible.  Granted I no longer have those particular needs, but old work habits and preferences die hard, which is why I have put a LOT of time and effort into making this little cranky laptop look and function like I am used to.  This happens everytime the companies come out with "The Neatest Niftiest Must Have New Thing" in software or hardware.  Instant learning curve, as they always make changes for the sake of change, NOT necessarily to actually improve the machines and software.  Change is not always a good thing.
I did make a major change in my photography hobby, going from the old film cameras to the new digital units.  One thing I liked right off was being able to do my own processing, editing and printing.  I put a lot of investment into a good color printer that would print photos, and in the software to do so.  Photoshop was not cheap.  Then when my old WinXP machine died and I got my first Win7 machine, the old Photoshop would NOT load and run!  "Ruh Roh!"  Had to get another Photoshop for the later version, which again was not cheap.  I will not be putting PS on this laptop, as Paint is adequate for my needs.
I have also found some of my Win7 compatible software won't work on Win8/8.1.  So again, an expense is incurred in having to buy the same software again, in a later version.  The computer companies never warn you of this, but it is too often true.
One reason I got the laptop too, was the ability to take it on the road, and be mobile while retaining online capability.  This has certainly had it's own expenses and learning curve.  I am always learning.  I also try to minimize the more egregious changes that cost unreasonable time and expense.  Just the way I roll.  YMMV, of course.  Your needs are different, as you do blogging and running this website.  My needs go a different direction.  Same with our vans and our ideas on what works for US in particular.

i use freebies, gimp and inkscape, but just want to mention adobe rents photoshop pretty cheap by the month, i think less than 10

IPad - Photogene4

Keep trying all the new and great apps, but none come close to photogene. If I need layers, I'll go to GIMP on my Linux box.

LeeRevell said:
One thing that guarentees I will NOT install Win10 is their ridiculous insistence on changing to a totally different browser, no choice offered.

This is a common tactic for Microsoft. When something accumulates a lot of bad press (as Internet Explorer has), they simply hash out something under a different name.

Microsoft consistently makes business decisions that disregard the adoption standpoint of current users. They only care about the next generation of users.

I well remember the "good old days" when MS promised "backwards compatibilty" for new Operating Systems.  This has fallen by the wayside.  I did checkout the MS Paint resident on Win8/8.1 and am glad to find it unchanged from that on my Win7 machine.
I had forgotten Piccasa, and will check it out too.

They really are terrible people.

They just gave me a free upgrade to Office 10, the bastards!

If they ran the rest of the company as well as they run Office they would be doing infinitely better and have many less enemies. As poorly run as Windows is, Office is superior in every way.

It's even a competent drawing program.
Bob

Bob, I consider that matter over, as we are obviously at an impasse.  Our personal philosophies are not going the same direction at all.  No use beating that dead horse to flinders.
I use MS products, and will continue, IF they meet my needs.  I simply do not have a need for Win10 and it's associated attachments.  Simple.  When the automatic Win10 download happens, I will simply NOT install it.  I consider THAT matter at an end.  :dodgy:

Now, back to regular scheduled programming........

i have used an online editor called picmonkey as well as pixl too.

also use Picasa. cant argue with free. Girlfriend uses some photo app that came installed on her PC and it works fine.

Where do people store photos? I am using Amazon Prime via the Amazon Cloud photo storage for full size photos. all included with Prime membership.

ive used photo bucket before but im switching, maybe to imgur, not sure. pb is getting very intrusive and annoying with their site now. try to force you to show slides (with ads of course) with redirects, where before it took u direct to pic if you wanted. There is a work around, but i shouldnt have to drill down and fight to get a direct link. They delete images that have sat unviewed too long without notice. :( email spam me too