FREE Medicare for low income seniors

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnwgypsy

Reaction score
I posted this info in another thread & someone suggested I make a separate thread, so here it is.

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]If your social security income is pretty low, you probably qualify for a Medicare savings program to pay the ~$121/month cost for medicare part b (the "optional" every day medical insurance portion) & potentially your copays & deductibles as well. Part A (hospitalization insurance) has no monthly premium.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]You can find more information at the link below, as far as income limits on the program & how to apply. Applications for this go through your home state. All states participate.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]https://www.medicare.gov/your-medic...program/medicare-savings-programs.html[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I'd be happy to volunteer provide whatever help I can.  I push paper for a living & though I don't work in the insurance/medicare industry, for whatever reason, have a knack for it.  I've also helped several friends & family navigate Obamacare.[/font]

pnwgypsy said:
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]All states participate.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]https://www.medicare.gov/your-medic...program/medicare-savings-programs.html[/font]
Unless things have changed NOT all states participate. Some of the conservative states refused to  participate as a way to protest Obamacare and the way the law is written it MUST go through the state.
That leaves a lot of people in the sad state of making too little to get Obamacare even though the Federal government is willing to pay it.
Bob

Bob, I think AZ [a 'red' state] has this option whereas WA [a very blue state] has not.

The whole health care/ Medicaid issue has changed the question of question of which state to choose for residency.
Bob

I'm not sure if I understand this thing.

Is it states that are allowing medicaid expansion ???

If that's right you can do a quick web search to find the states that do and don't.

I have been watching this as my state Maine is one that doesn't !
I want to know where any state stands on this before I decide to change my residence..this is important to know for low income folks (like me)
Anyway , if that's what this is ....I have the list.

These are the ones that allow it as of 6/14/15.

Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia

Hope this helps.

OK, I was under the impression that WA did not offer this. I stand corrected. However, I would look very closely at all the requirements for each state, as they are by no means uniform.

MockT
As I said,
I'm not sure if the list would be the same.
I don't know enough about all this and you're right about states being vastly different on the rules. That's what makes figuring it all out so hard, guess everybody has to do their own homework according to their unique situations. (My head is spinning just thinking about it.)Hopefully I get it figured out for me before I have to......probably changes every day????

akrvbob said:
Unless things have changed NOT all states participate. Some of the conservative states refused to  participate as a way to protest Obamacare and the way the law is written it MUST go through the state.
That leaves a lot of people in the sad state of making too little to get Obamacare even though the Federal government is willing to pay it.
Bob

Bob, I think you're confusing medicaid (for low income who are not of social security age) with medicare (for seniors).  Many states elected to expand medicaid as part of Obamacare, but some did not.  The states that did not expand medicare turned away free money to insure their needy residents to make a political statement.  Comedian John Oliver has a nice monologue on the absurdity of this.

The medicare (seniors) savings program is nationwide.  Here are links for all states https://www.medicare.gov/Contacts/#resources/msps

rvpopeye said:
I'm not sure if I understand this thing.

Is it states that are allowing medicaid expansion ???

If that's right you can do a quick web search to find the states that do and don't.

I have been watching this as my state Maine is one that doesn't !
I want to know where any state stands on this before I decide to change my residence..this is important to know for low income folks (like me)
Anyway , if that's what this is ....I have the list.

These are the ones that allow it as of 6/14/15.

Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia

Hope this helps.

See my reply to Bob. The medicare savings program is not related to the Obamacare medicaid expansion.

pnwgypsy said:
Bob, I think you're confusing medicaid (for low income who are not of social security age) with medicare (for seniors).  Many states elected to expand medicaid as part of Obamacare, but some did not.  The states that did not expand medicare turned away free money to insure their needy residents to make a political statement.  Comedian John Oliver has a nice monologue on the absurdity of this.

The medicare (seniors) savings program is nationwide.  Here are links for all states https://www.medicare.gov/Contacts/#resources/msps

pnwG
I knew about the medicaid expansion thing, just wasn't aware if the medicare program being discussed was connected , thanks for clearing it up .
I still have a little over two years to learn all about medicare, like that's possible ! I'll look at your link now.......

rvpopeye said:
pnwG
I knew about the medicaid expansion thing, just wasn't aware if the medicare program being discussed was connected , thanks for clearing it up .
I still have a little over two years to learn all about medicare, like that's possible ! I'll look at your link now.......

You're welcome. You can apply for social security several months in advance of your eligibility date.  I recommend figuring out exactly when you can apply & applying then.  In helping my former roommate, she waited til the last minute & it was extra stressful.

I will be getting full retirement benefits at 66, being I was born 1950, but I had to file for medicare at the age 65 or I  would have been penalized with a higher premium. I have been paying premiums out of my own pocket. I don't qualify for low income.

pnwgypsy said:

You're right this is something I've never heard of before. Both of the links give no details on the program, they only give the income limits. 

Whatever this program is it's handled by the states so I followed the link to the Texas site and was totally baffled by it. There was nothing that at all directed me to how to get Part B paid for by the State of Texas. But I gave up pretty quick so maybe I just didn't do the work to figure it out.

Saying again that I know nothing about this I've got be honest and say I think this is just Medicaid expansion under a different name and Texas doesn't offer anything for it.  My guess is this site and those programs were set up with the assumption all the states would offer Medicaid Expansion and now they lead to nothing. 

But you know a lot more about than I do, (which is almost nothing) so can you help people get it in their states or at least give them names of programs to pursue in their states?

Off-topic, here is a map of the states that do and do not offer coverage of Part B through Medicaid Expansion. Notice the three main states people use for residency do not offer it, Texas, South Dakota and Florida:

Medicare-Part-B.jpg

akrvbob said:
You're right this is something I've never heard of before. Both of the links give no details on the program, they only give the income limits. 

Whatever this program is it's handled by the states so I followed the link to the Texas site and was totally baffled by it. There was nothing that at all directed me to how to get Part B paid for by the State of Texas. But I gave up pretty quick so maybe I just didn't do the work to figure it out.

Saying again that I know nothing about this I've got be honest and say I think this is just Medicaid expansion under a different name and Texas doesn't offer anything for it.  My guess is this site and those programs were set up with the assumption all the states would offer Medicaid Expansion and now they lead to nothing. 

But you know a lot more about than I do, (which is almost nothing) so can you help people get it in their states or at least give them names of programs to pursue in their states?

Off-topic, here is a map of the states that do and do not offer coverage of Part B through Medicaid Expansion. Notice the three main states people use for residency do not offer it, Texas, South Dakota and Florida:

Medicare-Part-B.jpg

I researched some more...and the program I've been talking about, Medicare Savings Program, is apparently a combination of medicaid & medicare:  https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid-c...iors-and-medicare-and-medicaid-enrollees.html

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medicare enrollees who have limited income and resources may get help paying for their premiums and out-of-pocket medical expenses from Medicaid (e.g. MSPs, QMBs, SLBs, and QIs). Medicaid also covers additional services beyond those provided under Medicare, including nursing facility care beyond the 100-day limit or skilled nursing facility care that Medicare covers, prescription drugs, eyeglasses, and hearing aids. Services covered by both programs are first paid by Medicare with Medicaid filling in the difference up to the state's payment limit.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]2015 Income Amounts to Qualify[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (QMB):[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All States and DC
[size=small](Except Alaska & Hawaii)

$1,001 – Individual   $1,348 – Couple[/font]
[/font][/size]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiary (SLMB):[/font][/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All States and DC

$1,197 – Individual   $1,613 – Couple[/font]
[/font][/size]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Qualifying Individual (QI):[/font][/font]

$1,345 – Individual   $1,813 – Couple[/font]
[/font][/size]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Qualified Disabled Working Individual (QDWI):[/font][/font]

$4,009 – Individual   $5,395 – Couple[/font]
[/font][/size]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]However, this is independent to Obamacare/Medicaid expansion.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Long story short: If your social security income is in the $1000-1200 amount as a single person, you should contact your state to see if you're eligible for this program which will save you the ~$120/month on part B for routine medical costs plus your deductibles, copays & whatnot.  On a limited budget, $120 is not something to leave on the table.  Link to states' websites:  [size=small][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]https://www.medicare.gov/Contacts/#resources/msps[/font]https://www.medicare.gov/Contacts/#resources/msps[/font][/size]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Yes, it's complicated & the links to the state websites don't get you to far.  It'll probably require a phone call &/or a visit to an office to fill out paperwork, but again, it'd be nice to have that $120 back in the pocket, plus the ability to see the doctor without worry of where the funds are going to come from.
[/font]

pnwgypsy said:
I researched some more...and the program I've been talking about, Medicare Savings Program,

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medicare enrollees who have limited income and resources may get help paying for their premiums and out-of-pocket medical expenses from Medicaid (e.g. MSPs, QMBs, SLBs, and QIs). [/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]2015 Income Amounts to Qualify
[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (QMB):[/font]

$1,001 – Individual   $1,348 – Couple[/font]
[/font][/size]

I'd like to reopen this thread and hope to get some specific info from someone that is on SS retirement income and has successfully gone through the QMB process in South Dakota.

In Sept. I plan to do the mail, driver's license,etc. thing in SD. As in several threads on the forum shows, this can be done by doing the paperwork and by staying only one night in SD. 

A while back I called the SD Dept.of Human Services and was told that in order to be eligible for them to pay your Medicare premium, you have to be a resident for at least 30 days.

Is there anyone that has done this in the past year or two?