Free domain name and web hosting for a year

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickTheoBennett

Reaction score
One.com is offering a free domain name (with any TLD, including .com) and one year of basic web hosting, normally $15-$20.  

This could be a good starting point for someone considering starting a blog or hosting any sort of website.  It could also be used as a free cloud storage.  

If you use a referral link, such as mine below, you start with 18GB of disk space, rather than the regular 15.  Still the same process, otherwise. 

No credit card required.  

This is my referral link, if you use it we both have 3GB extra disk space for the life of the account.  

http://one.me/enazugza

For those who would rather not use a referral link, here is a link to their page without the referral code.

http://www.one.com/en/

In general, such offers are to get you to stick with them. Is the domain registered in your name, so you can take it to another registrar, or are you stuck with them in the future at whatever price they want to charge? Is the hosting proprietary, or can you easily take it elsewhere?

blars said:
In general, such offers are to get you to stick with them.  Is the domain registered in your name, so you can take it to another registrar, or are you stuck with them in the future at whatever price they want to charge?  Is the hosting proprietary, or can you easily take it elsewhere?

According to the site

Your own domain
It’s yours. You own it, you control it, and you add the content people see when they visit your website.
Read more

I was also concerned about the catch, blars, but your domain name is yours to control. I've never done any web development, but I figured it would be a fun way to learn with no risk.

You didn't mention if they offer any type of Web Editing Software ?   Do they include a
WYSIWYG Editor ? An HTML Editor ? 

It is affordable for sure. 

At one time I had my own Server at home and hosted my own websites,  but anymore you just can't
beat the services, dependability, and SECURITY these Cloud Server Services offer.  With "Outlook" POP3
that most SOHO business people use as their email client with their customers it is almost a ticking bomb.
But by using hosting services Security as affordable as it is, so many problems and down times are eliminated.
(cost of having a Tech reformat your Server/Computer etc and get you up again....cheaper to go with the hosting service)

eDJ_ said:
You didn't mention if they offer any type of Web Editing Software ?   Do they include a
WYSIWYG Editor ? An HTML Editor ? 

It is affordable for sure. 

At one time I had my own Server at home and hosted my own websites,  but anymore you just can't
beat the services, dependability, and SECURITY these Cloud Server Services offer.  With "Outlook" POP3
that most SOHO business people use as their email client with their customers it is almost a ticking bomb.
But by using hosting services Security as affordable as it is, so many problems and down times are eliminated.
(cost of having a Tech reformat your Server/Computer etc and get you up again....cheaper to go with the hosting service)

The site specifically says no coding, so it must me some type of WYSIWYG

eDJ_ said:
WYSIWYG Editor ? An HTML Editor ? 

There is a WYSIWYG editor, as well as one click Wordpress integration.  It seems pretty beginner friendly.