Found and bought my rv!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was lucky to find a 1987,(manufactured in '86 in Indiana), tioga type f, class c, motorhome with less than 27k, actual miles on it! I have been working on it for a week now as it did have some water damage from roof neglect but nothing that I can't fix. It also has a barely used onan 4k watt generator that I absolutely love! I will be putting new tires on soon because of dry rot, not tread wear.It runs and drives like new and is the perfect size for me and my chihuahua, Teddy. We'll be seeing you all on the road Febuary 1st!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1484837478650.jpg
    FB_IMG_1484837478650.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
Wow!! Congrats on your find!  I am sure you and Teddy will have some wonderful adventures on the road.  Will look forward to hearing about them.

I was getting frustrated in my search as I found many rvs listed weren't even running and pieces of junk until I found this one on facebook for sale in my area. Naturally, it was a filthy mess but not now...

Congratulations. Fleetwood, which Tioga is, did a pretty good job with their Class C units to start out with, so that should help even with an older unit. Wishing you a lot of luck in moving forward with your project and beyond!

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

There have been a lot of older RV's sitting through the Great Recession and High Fuel Prices Era.  I'm sure that here are some good deals out there like you've found and with some TLC there may be some good years ahead for them yet.  

The bottom link below may be of interest to you for planning where you will go when you are ready.  Lots of
handy info in there to make life on the road more awesome.  I'm always trying to find things to add to it.

Sleepingdogcamp said:
It runs and drives like new and is the perfect size for me and my chihuahua, Teddy. We'll be seeing you all on the road Febuary 1st!

well hey, congrats and welcome!

just outta curiosity, how does a chihuahua factor in on "perfect size" of any rig?   

;)

Welcome aboard Sleepingdogcamp !
Looks like a 25 footer?
We'll love to see some pics of the inside (and your repair efforts) and the dog too!
Ask us anything that you need to know , lots of experience here in just about any subject.

Oh... please post pictures as you repair the water damage. I am doing the same to a 1988 Honeywell. Only my damage is fairly extensive.

I also have a burning need to understand what it is about the chihuahua that fits perfectly in 25 feet.

VanKitten said:
I also have a burning need to understand what it is about the chihuahua that fits perfectly in 25 feet.

Count me in also; ... especially since that is about the size I plan on for myself and my mastiff to live/travel in ...

A generator FYI:

My '95 Coachmen b-van had 26k miles on it when I bought it two years ago... and only 16 hours on the Onan 2800 genset. Low hours on an old genset is NOT necessarily a good thing. On mine, the carburetor and fuel pump were shot from disuse because the gasoline had turned to varnish and there's no way to clean those up once that happens. Make sure you keep your generator healthy by running it for at least two consecutive hours monthly. That keeps the fuel from gumming up and ultimately damaging those components. They cannot be rebuilt, they are replacement items now; and the repairs on my Microlite 2800 ran $900 with parts and labor.

Generators also have a low-oil shutoff, and they tend to use oil as they run. If your generator runs for five seconds and shuts off, it's likely that the oil is low. Check the oil, add as necessary, and you'll be up and running again.

Good luck!

I've known some RV owners who had Onan gensets and noticed that they left the door to it open when running.
When I asked them about it,  I was told it was for air circulation as there was a high temp shutdown circuit in it
and on hot summer days the outfit was prone to overheating and shutting down. 

I've also been told (don't know if it is so)  that Onan builds to the RV Manufacturer's specifications so an Onan from one scrapped RV may be different from others.  Perhaps it doesn't have an oil filter etc where another one
similar to it does.

Well done! I looked for a while but everything I found was $$ and looked like it served as deer camp one too many times! Enjoy!

--joe