Ford's new towing assist for those who can't back up

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsallysmom

Reaction score
bigsallysmom said:
Need help backing up?
Slaton L. White, on his Field and Stream blog, describes Fords 2016 F-150 towing assist, "a sophisticated guidance system that, in conjunction with a rear-mounted camera, takes control of the truck’s steering wheel and moves the front wheels for you. All you do is turn a knob located on the instrument panel"

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/field-test/first-look-ford’s-new-towing-assist

Backing up a well made trailer is not all that hard once one learns the basics...backing up one that isn't well made can be hell on wheels.

No automated guidance system will compensate for the difference!

Although now those guys I used to see in the campgrounds throwing hissy fits at their wives for being terrible lookouts/guidance systems will now be able to blame the vehicle instead of the wife... :D :rolleyes:

That's true. I'm not sure the majority of mobile dwellers even need such a thing. They get a lot more practice than most people. Most farm kids like myself learned how to back up at a very early age.
If only those screaming drivers would, before they started backing in, get out, visualize the event, then say, "Here's what I want to do..." to their guide most of those arguments would not be happening.
Course I think part of the problem is trying to squeeze behemoths in a place made for a mid sized travel trailer.

another electronic gizmo to fail. for me I don't want any gizmo controlling my steering or brakes or anything, because sooner or later the gizmo will fail. highdesertranger

I just always put my hand at 6 o'clock on the steering wheel, then whichever way I turn the wheel, if my hand is to the right, the trailer goes to the right. If to the left, it goes to the left. That's for a travel trailer. I never had a 5ver. Oh, if my hand makes a complete revolution, I messed up! :)

This guy didn't have any problem backing up, yet...  

Now just how does this kind of thing happen?  Is there no IQ test for having a boat?  Really?

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 15
image.jpg

This from a truck driving manual is kinda what I was saying...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 19
I zig-zag my trailer when backing into my driveway. This way I can see where I am going 50% of the time. Usually get it in straight and proper the first try. Having a corner across the street with a sign post also prevents me from lining up perfectly when I start.

Only downside, I makes me look like an idiot who cannot back a trailer while doing it. :dodgy:

My Dad made me learn to tow a trailer the day I got my learner's permit. Now it's 2nd nature, don't even have to think about what way to turn the wheel, its all muscle memory. No substitute for practice. I'd recommend anyone not comfortable with it spend a few days in a big empty parking lot or even better an industrial park on the weekends when not many people are around and you can practice backing into different loading docks.

I am hoping to take a towing class before I try it.

I will be practicing in the church parking lot tomorrow. I want God on my side.

ggwoman said:
I will be practicing in the church parking lot tomorrow.  I want God on my side.

It's worthwhile practicing hitching and detaching the trailer as well.

Learning to back up the tow vehicle so that you can get under the ball within the first few tries is a skill that only happens with practice.

Something that I see way too many people NOT doing when they hook up the trailer is crossing the chains. So many just hook them up at random not realizing that there is an actual reason they should be crossed - it provides a cradle for the tow vehicle if it ever pops off the ball for any reason.

That and checking the lights to make sure that the connection from the tow vehicle is good!!

Almost There said:
It's worthwhile practicing hitching and detaching the trailer as well.

Learning to back up the tow vehicle so that you can get under the ball within the first few tries is a skill that only happens with practice.

Something that I see way too many people NOT doing when they hook up the trailer is crossing the chains. So many just hook them up at random not realizing that there is an actual reason they should be crossed - it provides a cradle for the tow vehicle if it ever pops off the ball for any reason.

That and checking the lights to make sure that the connection from the tow vehicle is good!!

Check and TRIPLE check! Especially the part about crossing the chains. Thanks!!!

I have to go weigh the trailer tomorrow too, and thought that would be another good place to practice hitching and unhitching. It seems all you need are some marks on the trailer and the tailgate of the truck to match up. Like a red line or arrow or something. Maybe I'll stick on some painters tape to help with this for now. I think I'm also going to need some extended mirrors too. The trailer is wider than the truck! Was disappointed in the ones I saw today. They were chintzy and probably shake while driving and no doubt made in china. Even the mirror part wasn't like a real mirror, but some kind of plastic?? I dunno. THere have to be better ones out there. Maybe I could find some good old ones at a wreckers' yard.

Being a truck driver, I'm always backing a trailer. I actually catch myself cutting the wrong way in a straight vehicle.. Lol so used to having a trailer.

jeez yah backing up can be dicey in the dark with something to lose. Last time in this predicament I slept and waited for the early morning light when all was illuminated then proceeded. Don't be in a hurry!

Yah but no, i have no faith in this technology IMHO get out and look about. My new mantra GOALA

Driving back from a gig in Clear Lake Ca a big buck jumped from a high wooded shoulder onto the road hit the brakes in my 1948 dodge pickup loaded with drums amps and gear the battery forced out of the cradle two lane road no moonlight heavy canopy of trees with no flashlight. Got down on all fours looking for the white line to push her out of harms way big drop off on the left thickets on the right, did it, got some sleep and waited for sunrise.
double Dang

Backing a short trailer is a lot harder than backing a long one.