Ford E250 Sub Floor/Storage compartments

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaunSquid

Reaction score
<P>Here is my van so far.&nbsp; Built a sub floor with trap doors for storage.&nbsp; Made out of 2x10s, and MDF.&nbsp; Under the queen bed it is double sheet of 2" MDF and we welded some steel bars into a T shape and secured it under the bed, and in the frame for extra support.</P>

Heavy duty man, 2x10's and MDF, your obviously not worried about weight eh? Good set up though. Looks like ya do quality work.<br>

<P>Yeah, this is my first conversion.&nbsp; My buddy helping me has a tendency to overengineer everything.&nbsp; Thus it being sturdy enough to withstand an explosion.&nbsp; It is incredibly sturdy.&nbsp; Next time I will definately be using lighter materials, but this time around I didnt even think about the weight until it was too far to turn around.&nbsp; Still very pleased with the results though.</P>

Are you going to insulate the walls? I'm a snowbird so I try to avoid extreme temps, but I often find myself in the shoulder seasons and get caught in colder and hoter than I like. Insulation is extremely important in both heat and cold. Here in the Arizona desert it has gotten down into the mid teens at night and I am very grateful for the inch of styrofoam in the walls and 2 1/2 inches in the roof of my cargo trailer. It works just as well to keep heat out in the summer. I insulated the walls before I started the inside build. Bob<br>

Are you going to insulate the walls? I'm a snowbird so I try to avoid extreme temps, but I often find myself in the shoulder seasons and get caught in colder and hoter than I like. Insulation is extremely important in both heat and cold. Here in the Arizona desert it has gotten down into the mid teens at night and I am very grateful for the inch of styrofoam in the walls and 2 1/2 inches in the roof of my cargo trailer. It works just as well to keep heat out in the summer. I insulated the walls before I started the inside build. Bob<br>

Yes, I am planning on it Bob.&nbsp; Styofoam aye?&nbsp; Hmm...never thought about it.&nbsp; I work&nbsp;a lot of residential construction and was considering just getting leftover fiberglass insulation...then I thought about how close I would be to it.<br>Explain a little about your setup?&nbsp; Just standard run of the mill?&nbsp; Did you cover it up?&nbsp; Glue it to the sides or something?<br>

Sorry for the long deal, been swamped with work. I have a converted cargo trailer so my walls are straight and covered with 3/8 plywood, making attaching styrofoam very, very easy. I just used 1 1/2 inch screws with washers on them to go through the styrofoam and into the plywood. My styrofoam has an aluminum foil covering on one side, so I turned that into the inside and left it bare. I don't care about looks, but it would have been very easy to put paneling up over the styro. Since you already have 1x4 runners on your walls, it would be very easy for you to do the same. The styro should easily bend to the curves of the walls. On the roof I put 3 layers of 3/4 inch styro. The 3/4 is very flexible and easily bends to the curve of the roof. It is held up with sheet metal screws and washers screwed into the ribs. <br><br>If you are getting your fiberglass from worksites, does that mean it is 3 1/2 inch? If you put it on both walls, won't you loose 7 inches of living space? To me that is way to much!!&nbsp; &nbsp; Have fun!&nbsp; Bob<br>

<P>All done.&nbsp; Just a 2 gang box to mount to the cage.&nbsp; Tell me what you think.</P>