For the folks one here with mechanical knowledge

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtW

Reaction score
I've come across a 1976 Chevy 1 ton (so the add says) with a 1983 body, the seller say it's complete aside from wiring, and claims to have the harness, for $500 total cost
I hate wiring, but I've done a bit of it
Downsides: older vehicle might have some issues
Upsides: older vehicle easier to fix
I think fuel mileage will be a wash, towing my travel trailer, although it'll probably suck gas like a pig when not towing, comped to the ranger
No pics as of yet, he's supposed to be getting some for me
Thoughts?

I'd be a little concerned that the wiring harness wouldn't match the old frame/engine and the newer body, or vise versa.  
The fact that it comes with everything BUT the harness suggests, to me at least, that it was a issue for the seller.  
Do you know which van the harness is from?  Maybe do a little research and see if there are/were any glaring differences between a '76 and '83 van. 

But hey, sometimes projects are fun! :p

No, no, big T, he does have a harness, just not time, is what is claimed
I'm not sure how much difference there is between a 76 and an 83, aside from looks, so I'm a bit concerned about that, too

I understand he has the harness, my concern would be things like the location of parts and accessories, the length of various bundles of wires, openings in the firewall, and the kind of electrical plugs the two vans might or might not have in common.

Hypothetical examples between the two years: The alternator is located on the opposite side of the engine. The fuse box is mounted in a different place, so its wires come through a different part of the firewall. One had electronic ignition and the other didn't. The fuel tank/pump was mounted in a slightly different place. The electrical plugs at the connector points are different.

Granted they're only 7 years apart, but it's entirely possible that a van made in the 70's might be a little different than a van made in the 80's.
Or maybe it will be "Plug-N-Play". If you have to cut and splice wires to make them match or reach parts, you could end up with a real mess on your hands.

Exactly, which is why i posted here, because HDR, for example, will know all that, and a few others will, too
BTW, it's a pickup, not a van, guess i should have specified that, silly me

I know 78-81 non-A/C wiring isn't obviously different, The wiring for the HEI, starter, alternator should be all identical since those parts are all the same, gauge clusters are the same as far as I know. The chassis stuff like the lighting, clutch safety and brake light switch is where there may be a difference.
That is provided it's a small block, 454 I have no clue and wouldn't want one.

A week or so ago I sold my 81 305/4spd/4x4 running, driving with a clean title for $1100, I bought it for less than that.

If it is a small block 4 speed expect 10-12mpg towing 2000-10k lbs, 8mpg is about the worst you can get and 14+mpg unloaded if it's running right.

I would think HDR should know for sure.

there is next to no difference between a  76 and 83 chevy truck,maybe a trim piece,2 or 4 headlights,glass fuses or the plug in ones,they started building the square body truck in 73 and the big upgrade came in 86 when they went to a one piece rear main seal

https://buypainless.com/products/10205?variant=31471239620 just an example you should be able to find stock for cheap or a universal

The Wikipedia article on Chevrolet Pickups says the 73 through 87 were all considered 3rd generation trucks, BUT there was a mid-life cycle face lift in 81.

well I looked at it, apparently the body is off a fuel injected truck, and the carb isn't on the motor, (it was in the cab) so it's a matter of modifying the harness for the non injected driveline, so more unsure than before about this
Also, the harness is apparently bad, so that's even more of an expense
truck comes with an extra front clip and doors, and looks to be fairly sound, though not pretty, with rust in the usual places
I might try it, or I might not, having a pre computer truck would be good, and those are pricey in this area, in good shape, but I dunno if I'm willing to fun a full wiring job to get one

fuel injection did not come along until 88 or so,but anyway chevy square bodies are a dime a dozen,i got my 85 k10 for $800,should be able to find a unmolested one for cheap

shoooo! around here a good square body goes for at least 2500, really nice ones sell for 6000-8000
I need to got where you are and shop there
Here it's usually the 90s models selling for low bux, but lately those have jumped up, too
I do not doubt you about 88 being the first year of injection, I had an 82 and it was carburetted
maybe it's got an 83 cab and an 88 bed, I dunno

I would say to pass, TBI started in 87 for trucks (last year of the squarebody) so it's obvious the seller doesn't know what he is selling, so it's best to walk away, $500 is steep in my opinion with the problems, unless it's a 3+3(crew) cab which I doubt.

Yes people ask crazy prices for square bodies, but they have them listed for months at those prices, what they are actually selling for is a lot less, $1000-2000 is fair for a solid regular cab long bed. The 3+3 cabs, shortbeds and k5 blazers are what brings the money.

not here, those square bodies are on CL a month or less in this area, it's crazy

Still think you're right though, too much trouble, unless I want to part it out, then I could make a killing off it
but who wants to do that?

while I don't know all the specifics on this exact truck. any wire harness form any year between 1973 and 1987 will bolt right in. mine originally had glass fuses and I upgraded the harness to the blade style fuses. when I put my motor in I will install a completely new harness from Painless. putting a fuel injected harness into a carb is no problem, you will just have a bunch of extra wires. putting a HEI harness into a points you should run a new hot wire to the coil. other than that it will bolt right in. is this truck a 4x4 1 ton. if it is I would buy it immediately. the Dana 60 1 ton front axle is worth 1k all day long you could flip it or part it out if you don't want to work on it. any questions ask away I could take that truck apart and put it back together in my sleep. highdesertranger

So is it a wrong title? Title doesn't match the body? Something sounds wrong.

yeah that's a good point, check the vin on the tittle to the number on the vehicle. also see if the number on the vehicle looks like it's been tampered with. however it is not uncommon with these trucks to change cabs and frames, I have done it numerous times. highdesertranger

Johnny Cash pulled it off with his one piece at a time Cadillac.

Dave

I never buy a "Just needs" By the time you find out the problem is bigger than represented, it is too late. Just needs a tune up could be needs an engine overhaul.

You do what it just needs and maybe I will buy it.

well HDR if it's a 76 frame / drive line I'm pretty sure that was HEI already, though I didn't spare the distro a glance while looking
It is not 4x4, just a RWD, long bed, regular cab pickup
Sure would pull my trailer no problem though :D
the person that rebodied it has done this before, on another truch he showed me, and yep, there's a rat's nest of unused wires in there, layed to the side, with no conection to the computer
CC very good point, before I hand over money I will inspect the title vs the body VIN, the truck is registered with the body VIN, not the Chassis VIN
DJ! Love that tune, had no idea someone had made and image of it, thank you, sir!
Danny, I generally agree, it bothers me, too, no way I'd consider it with a newer truck

Well hell Gary, wish I was there, looks like you have a much better selection that i do
This is my area
https://houston.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=pickup&min_auto_year=1973&max_auto_year=1987