For Julia Roberts movie fans ....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenny flank

Reaction score
Just spent a few days in Mystic CT. Lovely little town with some cool places to see.

Movie fans probably know this town from the Julia Roberts movie "Mystic Pizza". I'm not really a rom-com fan, but I do like movie history, so I had to have lunch at the real Mystic Pizza downtown:

48374291366_43119a4df9_c.jpg

As with so much else "Hollywood", it is completely fake. Although this pizza place served as the inspiration for the movie and the film was indeed shot on location in Mystic, this place was not actually used for the film. Instead, the production company set up a fake pizza parlor at a house not far away and filmed there. After the movie was released, the owner here then remodeled his pizza place to look like the one in the film. 

Inside there are a bazillion photos and props from the movie.

As for the pizza, it was kinda meh. But then, "pizza" is like "sex"--even when it's not done very well, it's still pretty good.   ;)

Reminds me of the one time I've visited the UK. I wanted my cousins to take me to a "real English pub". They happened to live in Telford which is a planned community that was built in the 70's. So the pub within reasonable distance they took me to wasn't old at all and had fake half-timbers,grained formica,etc. to make it appear 'olde'.

I told them sheesh, I could find places like that in the US! We had a jolly good time anyway...

Lenny,

"...pizza is like sex -- even when it's not done very well it's still pretty good."

The funniest things are those that are the truest. Thanks for the laugh!

I haven't been to Mystic in years, but I enjoyed walking around, shopping, and dining out there during a few vacations.  I recall a really fun bar in the center of town, perhaps?  Good times.  Pretty town.

Whenever in the Mystic area during the summer season, a must-do is having lobster at Abbott's .  My ex and I found it by accident the first time, but we made sure to go back again.  It's on a winding road along the shore and has outdoor dining dockside on the river.  It's closed now (off-season), but totally worth it when summer rolls back around.  http://abbottslobster.com/

Latest posts