Food Rescue Organizations / preventing systemic food waste

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMGS3

Reaction score
Have you heard of "Food Rescue" centers? Basically they are organizations that collect food from local stores and redistribute it to people who will use it. It is similar to a food bank, but they are not the same thing. Food banks distribute based on income, food rescues are available to everyone who eats. Rescued food is often perfectly good quality food that stores have too much of, so they give it away to prevent having to throw it away later because it went bad. For this reason, much of the food rescued is fresh in season fruits and veggies, dairy, and other perishables.

I stumbled upon the idea of food rescues when I was watching a YouTube video that featured Joys Kitchen in Denver.

Here's a link to the video. It's a cooking video, but they do spend a lot of time doing a tour of the food rescue and explaining how their operation works. The tour is in the first part of the video.

Here's a link to a website that has a search function to find a good rescue near you. There is a map on this page showing where food rescue locations are across the US.

https://sustainableamerica.org/blog/food-rescue-now-theres-a-map-for-that/

And here is the link to the ZIP code searchable food rescue finder page.

https://sustainableamerica.org/foodrescue/

Again, this food is not just for giving away to the "needy", it is because without rescuing it this good would likely rot and be thrown away. If you feel weird receiving free food, and you can afford it, donate what you can to the organization. Even a small donation will help pay some of the expenses of collecting and storing the food.

Peace,
~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

I think that link goes to Santa Clara and San Mateo counties food bank in California.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk