FOGGY WINDOWS

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livesimply5

Reaction score
I know this has probably been discussed but what can you do about foggy windows when trying to be stealth?

I'm sure there's lots of options, but someone on here posted a system using tube socks filled with kitty litter (not the clumping kind).
Maybe do a search and you'll find it. My searches never seem to work. :/

2 products every Van traveler should know about.  Auto parts shops commonly carry these.

Rain X

ACFA385.jpg

and

Fog X 

41p%2BgiAPytL._AC_UL320_SR164,320_.jpg

I used to go to the dollar store and buy anti-fog window cleaner. Worked just fine.

I normally keep a spray bottle with a couple drops of dollar store dish soap mixed with water for doing my dishes or other general cleaning. One day I accidentally grabbed that instead of the anti-fog window cleaner. It actually worked just as well, and lasts for about a week longer than the window cleaner. It lasts for about 3 weeks.

Don't worry about stealth, nobody's fooling anybody but themselves.

I don't worry about foggy windows as almost every car fogs up when it's cold here.

1. Heat that doesn't generate inside water
2. Ventilation (vent)
3. Air flow (fan)
4. Window coverings
5. Window treatment
6. Dessicant dehumidifier
7. Don't cook inside

I've always used a bar of soap and a dry old sock. Rub a little soap on the glass and buff it around with the sock. The soap grabs moisture. It looks a bit fuzzy when looking out the window, but another quick buff dries it off when you're going to be driving. Store the soap inside the sock.

livesimply5 said:
I know this has probably been discussed but what can you do about foggy windows when trying to be stealth?

I just park in Walmart parking lot :p

Another forum had this discussion and basically there's no way to avert the condensation that'll occur with living in a vehicle. 

But like lost said "[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]almost every car fogs up when it's cold here"[/font]

Stop breathing so much! lol Double pane windows, while expensive, would help a lot. They also greatly reduce noise. You can get double pane windows for vehicles even if you have to resort to custom made. At least $300 per window.

Canine said:
Stop breathing so much! lol Double pane windows, while expensive, would help a lot. They also greatly reduce noise. You can get double pane windows for vehicles even if you have to resort to custom made. At least $300 per window.

How about the windshield? :p

Canine said:

That would double the value of my 25 year old classic dream machine! :D

Or would it>>>  HMMMM :huh:

Consider this......
Unless you get rid of it by venting , the moisture will still be there.
If it's not condensing on the windows , where is it ?
Under your dash , in your closet ,,,,,,, wherever else the cold/warm interface is.

I just wipe the windows with a squeegee and a towel , throw them in a bag or tub and dry them outside later.

BigT said:
I'm sure there's lots of options, but someone on here posted a system using tube socks filled with kitty litter (not the clumping kind).  
Maybe do a search and you'll find it.  My searches never seem to work.  :/

Found it!  (Thanks to Cyndi for posting the link). --->  

-- Keeping your windows clean - for some reason helps with fog

-- Remove the moisture - crack the windows a little and run a small battery powered fan to keep things vented.

Does absorptive material act as a moisture buffer? I know a lot of people prefer all smooth surfaces inside for cleanliness and odor control, but it seems to me that would be a lot of surface for condensation to collect on. Maybe go the tapestry route, with fabric hangings on the walls that can be regularly laundered to prevent funk? I would think (hypothetically) that the fabric would have a "battery" effect, absorbing some of the moisture in the air (so there's less available to condense into liquid) and letting it dry out during the day when you're not sleeping back there breathing the place up. Once again - just hypothesis. You people would know better than me.

Do those of you with curtains/hangings/carpeted surfaces notice a difference in the amount of condensation?

One of the problems with hanging something is the loss of space.

All the vans slope inwards in at least 2 places - at the very top and again about half way down. The only way to 'hang' something would be with a whole lot of Velcro so that any panels could be fastened tightly to the curvature of the walls. IIRC there's almost a 6" total curvature on each side, so if you didn't do this, you'd be losing almost a foot of usable space.

Carpet on the floor was widely used when I started vanning in the mid 70's but we were only using them for weekends then and it looked great for showing our vans. Today, with full time living in mind, vinyl laminate is a necessity IMO, I can get in and out with sand, dirt, mud, water and wipe it up. Spills while cooking or just plain living are easily dealt with...not so with carpet. And any moisture retained in the carpet will go through to the underpad and be trapped between it and either the metal floor of the van or the wood underlay.

I used a combination of painted surfaces and vinyl in mine to make it decorative, attractive and easy to keep clean.

YMMV : )

Greetings,
In my wife's and my build we typically do not see much if any condensation.
We attribute this to a few factors (IMO)...

1) Inside walls have marine grade hull liner (_Example link_ ). The only smooth surfaces are the formica cabinetry. And I've not noticed any morning dew on those surfaces to date (5 yrs) .

2) Our cab windows have the WeatherTech side window deflectors ( _Link_ ) . No matter the weather, hot, cold, rain, sleet, snow... the passenger window is cracked ~2". There is a full-window no-see-um net on the window.

3) Our MaxxFan is always cracked ~1/2 to 1" at night in all weather.

4) During the hot summer nights we will turn a small battery operated fan we place on a shelf and direct it back toward our heads for airflow (near back non-opening barn door windows.)

I'm undecided if we will utilize the fabric hull liners on future Van v2.0... though so far we are really liking it.

TCLawdInteriorv2a.jpg

: ) Thom

short answer, yes carpet and material help with moisture control. that hull liner is really nice and easy to work with. these soft covering also add a bit of insulation. however there are two sides to every coin. the soft coverings tend to absorb odors, dirt/dust, and they are harder to clean. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
...however there are two sides to every coin...
Absolutely agree.
And while our rig has apparently faired well for whatever reason (OK we are NEAT FREAKS!), the cons you mention are real possibilities for any build.
Thom