Foam Adhesive Recommendations?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanFan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive last time to butt together and glue 4" foam mattress pieces.  This time, I also need to hold some layers together.  Have any of you used something different to good effect?

The cans of commonly found yellow Weldbond contact cement, the kind with VOC, not the water based version. You can roll or brush it on both surfaces. It cost less than the spray adhesives. It will not come apart. The foam will tear before the glue line separates. But it still allows the foam to flex with no issues. You can buy it at any hardware store. Get disposable brushes or disposable rollers and roller pans for the application.

Just remember to follow the directions for the open time required before joining the pieces together. Of course the same is true of spray adhesives, they too have open time requirements.

I much prefer to use the brush on contact adhesives for larger sized jobs. You are trading one type of labor savings for another when using brush on versus spray on.

Most people have forgotten about the contact cements that come in a can but that is the stuff that has been used for a very long time for these kind of foam bonding jobs and it still works perfectly for the task.

You might want to watch this video from Sailrite where they are doing application and strength testing for bonding foam pieces together using several different products.

Fabric stores sell a spray they use for bonding foam but is not cheap. That is what I got when I bonded the memory foam to my latex foam mattress.

highdesertranger said:
" You can buy it at any hardware store."

not in California

highdesertranger
I did forget that California is a very special place when it comes to trying to buy stuff or even importing stuff unless it is electricity from Washington state and other places which they are very fond of importing ;) Much better to let everyone else do their "dirty" work.

Let us not forget water as well from everywhere else!

x2, I almost fell over when I walked into a hardware store in AZ and I saw a red can of Weldwood contact cement. I hadn't seen that in years, it was like seeing a T-Rex.

yes CA is a out of sight out of mind type place.

highdesertranger

Thank you for the information about contact adhesive.  Over spray was a pain to deal with last time I used the 3M 77.

I'm playing Goldilock (again!) with various layers of foam and toppers, and will probably use a combination of products  to get the job done.

I just zip up mine in a cheap 40 degree sleeping bag then sew the end. Makes a little extra cushion and protects the foam.

I think I will need to add multiple layers of convoluted foam to a smooth foam base to get the effect we want.  My inclination is to wrap the layers together with poly batting, then spray glue the bundle to the foam base.  (I may want to remove the bundle from the base at some point.)  The whole mess will be enclosed in a zippered cover.  Do you think that will work?

We are have challenges with getting a good combination of support and comfort with foam.  Out 3" base of high density, medium firmness foam is comfortable with loads of "goodies" on top.  However, after a few nights, the foam and toppings compress enough to form a trough in the middle, and my husband can feel that darm pea! 

I have tried using some 4" HD foam I have on hand alone and in combination with the 3" (all toppers in place in both cases).  The mattress is just too hard with the addition of even 1".

Maybe we just need to chop some wood before bed!

abnorm said:
The answer is a LATEX mattress
Oh dear...  I was afraid of that!  We slept on one once at a hot springs lodge.  I thought it was awesome, and a good investment for the owners.  My budget can't handle it now, and I gather there is a lot to learn before shelling out for one.  What do you have?  I take it you like it pretty well?

My hardware store didn't have the contact cement Maki2 recommended (although I spotted it later at Walmart), so I used 3M 77 and some left over "general purpose" spray adhesive.  I ended up getting double sided DuckTape in an effort to save a few brain cells.  Using strips on the edges seems to do the trick for securing layers of convoluted foam together and to the base foam enough to prevent shifting.  The tape is only 1.41" wide x 8 yards, and runs a little over $5 (ouch).  I'm not sure how good it would be for other things.

I'm taking the cover off a King size comforter that has been in service so long the batting is wafer thin.  The fabric is still in good and should be ample to make a cover.  I have a roll of upholstery zipper tucked away, too.  Really, I want to "cheat" and make a mock-boxed cover with the zip on just one long side.  However, the thought of wrestling that foam is giving me pause.  The alternative is to make an actual side wall and sew the zipper in on three sides, so the top opens like a packing cube.  Decisions...

VanFan said:
Really, I want to "cheat" and make a mock-boxed cover with the zip on just one long side.
Decision made by default:  There is only enough zipper for one long side left on the roll.