Floor and Carpeting

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FutureDweller

Reaction score
I keep seeing really nice floors on all of your conversions but never see any details on them.  How are you guys doing these?  My main question is what do you put down BEFORE you put down carpeting?

I am wavering between subfloor with carpeting or a single piece of linoleum (I think it is called something else nowadays) It is pretty cheap and not hard to lay down.&nbsp; I suppose I could use throw rugs for more comfort.&nbsp; I see floating floors in trailers all the time but I think&nbsp;will&nbsp; weigh more.<BR>ps,&nbsp; I have to pull out old carpeting.&nbsp;There are 2 layers of old tile under the carpet, the first is probably original and I wouldn't doubt asbestos.&nbsp; The trailer is a 12 foot 1961 vintage beauty, an Astrodome&nbsp;by Shasta.<BR>

<P>I went the route of not worrying at all about weight, not sure I am glad I made that decision or not....time will tell.&nbsp; I made a supfloor with trap doors for storage using 2x4s and MDF.&nbsp; There are pictures in a thread in the "Conversion Progress" section if you want to see.&nbsp; As a side note:&nbsp; I went to Home Depot and found a 6'x8' outdoor rug for $12.&nbsp; Cannot beat that.</P>

<P>There is a small carpet store near my house where they throw out scraps all the time. I am thinking about pulling these scraps out and putting them all together to make a floor.</P>

<FONT face="times new roman, times, serif" size=3>I used 1/2 inch thick sheets of R-Tech styrofoam (lowes, home depot) under hinged/bolted down sheets of 3/4 in Birch plywood.&nbsp; I like 3/4 better to fasten other stuff to, than 1/2.&nbsp; </FONT><br><FONT face="times new roman, times, serif" size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT face="times new roman, times, serif" size=3>The R-tech made a HUGE difference for me on the sides, and should do equally as well on the floor, plus it will form-fit into the grooves of the floor. </FONT><br><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>AJ</FONT><br><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<br>

Hey all,<br>So if I wanted to install plywood to the floor of my van, would I use self-tapping screws onto the ribbing of the floor?&nbsp; Would some sort of adhesive work as well instead of screws.&nbsp; Thanks all.<br><br>

dragonflyinthesky said:
&nbsp; <B><FONT size=1>The trailer is a 12 foot 1961 vintage beauty, an Astrodome&nbsp;by Shasta.<BR></FONT></B>
<BR><BR><A name=I target=_blank target=_blank></A><FONT size=1><B><FONT color=#660000>INFORMATION&nbsp; AND&nbsp; PICTURES&nbsp; FOR 1961&nbsp; SHASTA&nbsp;&nbsp; ASTRODOME</FONT><BR></B></FONT><BR><A href="http://webspace.webring.com/people/jv/vintage_campers1/shasta_astrodome.html" target=_blank target=_blank><B><FONT size=1>http://webspace.webring.com/people/jv/vintage_campers1/shasta_astrodome.html</FONT></B></A><BR><BR><B><FONT size=1></FONT></B><BR>
<b>Wait til you see the Pegasus wings I have designed to replace her missing wings.&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT color=#00ffff size=5>Dragonfly</FONT></b>

I forgot what van you have, but if its a passenger van, I used the bench seat bolts (countersunk) to hold down the floor.&nbsp; <br><br>
0409011710.jpg
<br><br><br><br>