Flexible Solar Panel Installation on Van High Top

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamsack

Reaction score
<span id="post_message_1272239120">Hi all,<br>I was inspecting my van's high top before installing a couple of flexible solar panels.&nbsp; There is about a 3" inch dip (square shape) towards the back of the high top (near the back doors).&nbsp; The square depression is about 2 feet x 2 feet.&nbsp; <br><br>If I install the panels as is, the panels would not lie completely flush against the high top and would have to dip downwards towards the back where the dip is, leaving a small gap between the panels and the high top.&nbsp; Additionally, with this square depression, I'm concerned that water may pool up here when it rains, either causing damage to the solar panels or wear away the adhesive from the panels.<br><br>Should I install something to fill the square depression so the panels would lie completely flat from front to back?&nbsp; If so, what kind of material would be appropriate?&nbsp; I'm thinking that the material would need to be weather, sun, rain resistant.&nbsp; Would wood treated for exterior use be appropriate?&nbsp; Thanks everyone.<br></span>

Thanks for the info, 4x4tour.&nbsp; I'll try to take a photo of the area to show you.&nbsp; But I'll try to describe as best I can.&nbsp; <br><br>Imagine standing on the front hood of my van and looking at the high top straight back towards the back doors.&nbsp; The high top surface is pretty level until the last 2x2&nbsp; foot section.&nbsp; This square section is sunken down about 2-3 inches from the rest of the high top.&nbsp; To either sides of this section are metal railing (for strapping luggage, etc.)&nbsp; Actually, I'm guessing that the sunken design was for luggage to be placed and then strapped down using the railing.<br><br>As for what I was planning to do, since the 2 flexible solar panels are peel-n-stick, I was just going to thoroughly clean the high top, then simply stick the panels directly onto the high top length wise front to back.<br><br>Would there be any problems with the panels' functionality if they were not completely flat from front to back?&nbsp; I suppose that wouldn't be a problem, or else they would not have made them flexible in the first place.<br><br>

The problem with not being flat is having part of the panel in shade with the sun at some angles.&nbsp; You don't get a lot of power with the sun low on the horizon anyway, so it might not have much effect.<br>

"...but you should try to make the angle of decline as slight as possible."<br><br>I was thinking about using either a plywood or plexiglass sheet to level out the lowered section of the high top.&nbsp; I was gonna use the metal luggage railings on either sides as support to anchor down the sheet using self-drilling screws.&nbsp; What do you all think?<br>

@ 4x4tour,<br><br>Do you think plywood is doable instead of plexiglass?<br>

It'll probably dry rot real fast, being on the roof like that.

<b>@ 4x4tour</b>,<br><br>Do you think that the 3M VHB tape is just as strong, if not stronger, than the typical marine adhesives by&nbsp; Liquid Nails, Loctite, Goop, etc.?&nbsp; If so, perhaps this tape is a much cleaner install than having to smear gloppy stuff on the roof of my van.<br><br>