Flameless cooking and dehyrated meals

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 15857

Reaction score
Camping in my SUV makes any type of flame cooking a safety concern so I checked out options on flameless cooking methods.
I found Barocook flameless and decided to give it a try. However, their cooking pot is $27 and I thought I could do cheaper. I ordered the Barocook heat packs and set about to find a container to heat in. The heating packs are 4”x 6”, I found a Mainstays food container at WM that is microwave and dishwasher safe, figuring that would withstand the 203°f temps of the packs. I couldn't find a metal container for the food but the plastic bowl of a Hormel Compleats microwave meal (Turkey & Dressing) was a perfect fit.
I wanted to merge this cooking style with no refrigeration dehydrated camp food I had made up, I chose some chicken and rice.. Added some seasonings to the meat, the right amount of water to reconstitute and set the food bowl in the heating container on the heat pack. The heat pack got hot immediately upon adding water to the plastic container. In ten minutes I had 200º hot chicken and rice. Added them to a tortilla with salsa and cheese and enjoyed a delicious and HOT lunch.   Cost of the heating pot: $5.64.  The packs are $2.00 each and one time use, but that's better than any restaurant or fast food meals.

This will often be my cooking method even if I am in my tiny camper.  It's so much easier than even a propane stove. Looking forward to trying more flameless meals coupled with premade meals from home.

I am assuming those work on the same chemistry as the MRE heaters. you can get the MRE heaters a lot cheaper, like a buck apiece. I would get a couple and see if they work. as a caution as they heat the give off hydrogen gas. hydrogen is highly flammable if used indoors extreme caution must be used. remember the Hindenburg? highdesertranger

In which case the same sort of safety issues OP was trying to avoid.

highdesertranger said:
I am assuming those work on the same chemistry as the MRE heaters.  you can get the MRE heaters a lot cheaper,  like a buck apiece.  I would get a couple and see if they work.  as a caution as they heat the give off hydrogen gas.  hydrogen is highly flammable if used indoors extreme caution must be used.  remember the Hindenburg?  highdesertranger
Didn't know that, thanks for posting!

dexstrom said:
 . . . The packs are $2.00 each and one time use . . .
This will often be my cooking method even if I am in my tiny camper.  It's so much easier than even a propane stove . . .

Wow!  That's $2 a meal just to cook your meal, not counting the cost of the meal.

With today's propane stoves with auto-ignite, all one does is turn it on, adjust the flame, put the pot on, turn stove off when done.  Doesn't get any easier than that.

You may want to look at 'engine block cooking' (cooking while driving).  Cookbooks on the internet.

BTW: I have cooked many times with a flare-up stove (MSR-GK on white gas) in a tiny mountaineering tent.  While you have to be careful on start-up, it is not a big risk.  And the risk is very small with a simmering stove (e.g. Pocket Rocket).

Food pre-prepared by others is less than 5% of my family's consumption.

I suppose some of what's being discussed here is healthier than eating at fast food places, but I would not live like that, and really, couldn't afford to.

If being mobile stopped me cooking full meals from scratch every day, I'd go back to S&B.

I agree with John61CT 100%. Not only is it cost prohibitive but generally unhealthy.
A little creativity and MANY great meals can be made with just hot water or hot water and a thermos.
Using ingredients which keep well for vandwellers too. Plus, cheap and healthy.
The thought of eating like I had to in the Army at times is actually making me queazy ... lol

"Although it seems common, I can't understand the fear of cooking with propane."

Americans have been trained to fear everything. I don't understand why people can't cook outdoors (w/propane or other simple method), and save things like the heatpaks for times when it's pouring rain and you HAVE to cook inside.

Some here say that propane isn't safe inside a vehicle. It creates moisture. It uses oxygen. It's dangerous. It's an open flame, and their mommies always taught them never to get near an open flame. So I'm going to point out the too-obvious: COOK WITH THE DOOR OPEN.

As to the dangers of an open flame: How many of you smoke?

Spaceman Spiff said:
BTW: I have cooked many times with a flare-up stove (MSR-GK on white gas) in a tiny mountaineering tent.  While you have to be careful on start-up, it is not a big risk.  And the risk is very small with a simmering stove (e.g. Pocket Rocket).

Agreed.  I'd practice outdoors first to get the hang of it.  :)

Initial flare-up can be reduced by preheating with a bit of denatured alcohol / yellow Heet.

TrainChaser said:
I don't understand why people can't cook outdoors (w/propane or other simple method), and save things like the heatpaks for times when it's pouring rain and you HAVE to cook inside . . . COOK WITH THE DOOR OPEN.

Cooking outdoors is great for boondockers, rural travelers, and those who stay in campgrounds, etc. However, many nomads (and many people hoping to become nomads) like to stay in small towns and cities more often than not. So, for us, cooking outdoors might not be possible most of the time or would give us away if we're trying to be stealthy.

As I'm researching getting on the road, I absolutely need to investigate ways to cook inside the vehicle, since most of the time it'll be unlikely for me to be camping out in the countryside. For me, the option to cook outdoors will rank after cooking inside, buying prepared food, and dining out.

for cooking outside in a city go to a park. most parks have BBQ's at least around here. so it's not unusual to see people cooking there. highdesertranger

To heat water without a stove or flame: get a one-quart black plastic or metal water bottle (the longer and narrower the better) fill it, nestle it on top of the dash, and wait a few hours.

For most of the year, it'll get hot enough for coffee, tea, ramen, instant rice, etc etc etc.

lenny flank said:
To heat water without a stove or flame: get a one-quart black plastic or metal water bottle (the longer and narrower the better) fill it, nestle it on top of the dash, and wait a few hours.

For most of the year, it'll get hot enough for coffee, tea, ramen, instant rice, etc etc etc.

The item I linked to earlier in the thread is basically this on steroids. Will boil water no problem. I loved mine and it lasted a long time. Great investment.