"Fix 'n Gab" at RTR 2017

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sassypickins

Reaction score
Fix 'n Gab

Wednesday Jan 11th, 1 pm​
Sassy and Andrew's Camp​
White Hi-top Van/Big Blue EZ Up Shelter
(near main campfire)​

An afternoon to visit and fix that thing that's been on your mind to do.  Bring your thing, supplies, a chair, your drink of choice.​

Fix-It Ideas:​

Hand sewing, tarp grommets, rivet straps/small metal pieces, knee patches, boot sealing, window screens, jacket waterproofing, buttons/hooks/snaps/zippers/velcro,​
crocheting, knitting, guitar stringing, whatcha got?​

You're welcome to my mom's old sewing threads, needles, and misc sewing bits.  I also have for use a grommet kit, a pop riveter with lots of different size rivets and a revolving hole puncher.​

I don't have power to run a sewing machine, sorry!  If anyone needs help fixing their thing, hopefully helping hands will appear!​

Sewing supplies.jpg

Sassy

(If the weather doesn't cooperate, we'll try to fit this in on another afternoon TBA)

Attachments

• Sewing supplies.jpg
    Sewing supplies.jpg
    364.9 KB
Sassy

I am bringing a old Singer and while I don't know where I'll park, I can provide all the power needed.

I recently gave my daughter Mom's Featherweight. Best little Singer EVER!

It's pretty certain I won't be at RTR this year, but wanted to say what a nice idea to think of a time to work on all those "little things" while knowledgeable folks are available.

View attachment 10464 Hi All,
I'm a newbie and looking forward to meeting folks at the RTR this year. I would like to be at the "fix 'n gab" if I can find my way there :huh:

It's all a bit overwhelming when I think about trying to find a specific spot in the open desert around Quartzite. I have seen the map on this web site and will do my best in map reading!

I have a sewing machine and various small power tools powered by solar/inverter and also a (old, noisy) generator if need be. 

deb (meNchewy)
old, white chevy roadtrek camper van with a bike on the front and a white storage box on the back

If I look lost, please help me :p

curtains I need curtains seriously, got the original rods and the worn torn old curtains (for measurements) I will bring my featherweight but do not know how to use it.

I love my featherweight; it's all I've ever had for the last 50 years. Wagoneer, what type of material are you thinking of using?

Nelda
'96Roadtrek

Hi Deb - do you have a smart phone with google or other map app?  Very helpful getting around.   Once you hit Dome Rock Road East, it ends after a few miles at a barricade.  Then the only way to go is to turn right and head south for about a mile and a half or so on Mitchell Mine Road, the only road around.  It is usually graded nicely.  Just before it makes a definite turn left will be the RTR sign on the right.  Along the way you'll likely see other boondockers from big Class A's to little rigs.

When you turn in to the right at the RTR sign, you'll officially be 'off road', but even then it is gravelly and good to drive on and you'll be able to see pretty much the whole area.  At night you'll see Quartzsite a bit further west.  Just don't drive down into the bushy washes that rivulet between the gravelly areas, which are big and roomy with plenty of places to park and set up camp on.  As I recall, there are four or five long wide 'fingers' of these gravel areas and one can drive west to the end of each.  Eco-etiquitte is to not drive through the washes between the fingers, but to find where they connect by gravel to get from one to the next. People park all over the place, and the main campfire/seminar area is set up pretty much in the middle of it all, recognizable only by a circle of rocks, a pile of firewood, and a folding table or two and maybe some chairs.

Do what we did when we first showed up, just drive all over slowly and get a feel for it, wave and say hi to everyone.  One gal mistook my van for another gal's and was waving like crazy.  Then when she realized she didn't know me, she ran over and gave me a big hug anyway.  

Take your time finding your own special spot.  Last year Andrew and I thought we'd camp more on the outskirts, but after only an hour we decided to move in closer to the middle because we don't see great in the dark and didn't want to chance a stumble and fall on our way to and from the campfire and some friends camped close by there.

It's also not uncommon to see rigs re-position for whatever reason -- location, wind, smoke, noise, etc.

See you there!

Sassy

Yes, what Sassy said. I'd be more than willing to give you my cell number in case you need guiding in. We have been a tugboat for several wanderers over the years
Deb, one roadtrek to another, we'd be honored if you need us to come into town to get you.

This sounds like fun. I would love to come. I'm praying I don't get lost either. lol

Caryn

Hi Sassy,
Yes I do have a smart phone and the map off of this site. Nelda has offered to help me in if I have problems.
Thanks so much to everyone for their willingness to help.
Deb

Nelda said:
I love my featherweight; it's all I've ever had for the last 50 years.  Wagoner, what type of material are you thinking of using? I have been buying and selling these for years used to get 400 plus dollars ones I buy at garage sales for 20 bucks. Have a nice morning

Nelda
'96Roadtrek

something fun, inviting colorful !hey thanks for asking.

Nice material, Adrian!

My separator curtains are hung with those clip on round hook thingies. Then we catch the curtains on our feet or whatever and they pop off. Grrr. So I want to sew a rod pocket at the top but leave more folded above that so it brushes up against the van roof and puts an end to that drafty space there.

I keep an eye out at thrift stores for spring-tension curtain rods.

Sassy

sassypickins said:
Nice material, Adrian!  

My separator curtains are hung with those clip on round hook thingies.  Then we catch the curtains on our feet or whatever and they pop off.  Grrr.  So I want to sew a rod pocket at the top but leave more folded above that so it brushes up against the van roof and puts an end to that drafty space there.  

I keep an eye out at thrift stores for spring-tension curtain rods.

Sassy

I will also keep an eye out for rods- going to do some thrift store shopping in Tucson and Yuma before getting to Q and Ehrenberg.

deb

Hi everybody,

The RTR Fix 'n Gab location is CHANGING​

but it's still Wednesday the 11th starting at 1 pm! ​

It will be at Jerry and Nelda's white and blue Road Trek.  They will be just a few feet east (towards the entrance road) of the main campfire/seminar area.

If you are coming to the Fix 'n Gab, remember to bring your own chair, drink and something to turn from useless to priceless!!!

Oh, and if anyone has power and a sewing machine, there probably would be room to pull up a rig next to theirs for the afternoon!

Andrew and I are delayed until Friday.  We would love to have a 2nd Fix 'n Gab so after we get set up we'll look at the calendar of events and check with Bob to see if we can fit one in where it least affects other events.

Sassy

I didn't end up with the Singer after all. I just ran out of room. That said the rig can still provide all the power needed.,

What's the Fix and Gab?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts