Fishing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a45cap

Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any fishermen out there. If so do you buy a license for each state? or just take your chances? Is there such a thing as a national fishing license? I'm not a big time angler, but I do like to throw a line in the water on occasion, but last year I didn't fish much at all because I didn't want to chance getting caught and paying a big fine. Any thoughts, or advice?

Each state has their own licensure and regulations.   I don't know about other states but in Texas you can fish without a license in the state parks.  If you have an annual entrance pass to the parks, you can fish there while spending time at the park.  You can also purchase a fishing license for a few days but that can add up during a year.

Like you, I don't want to chance it without a license.  Those fish can be mighty expensive if caught!

I used to fish all the time, however the price of licenses has gone up so much I haven't fished in a few years. I still carry my pole in case I get the itch, of course I would get a license first. highdesertranger

I am an avid fisherman and it does get expensive. Many states have 'free fishing days and weekends' which is cool. Also if you are only occasionally fishing day and multiple day passes can be an alternative. Out of state can get expensive and getting caught w/o a license can get you a ticket Nd your gear confiscated. That would suck.

Yeah it looks like I'll just keep it to a minimum this year.  I did look at some fees by state, and it does vary widely. And then you pay more if your out of state. thanks for the input from everyone, and hope you all have a good year.

Used to fish a lot. Thinking of the end game. Food will need to be frozen or eaten immediately. So good for a meal or two for the traveler. Then what? Can someone live on seasonal trout streams or other fish?

Check your state laws, as some have a lower price or free fishing license for folks over a certain age. Youngsters often get to fish for free too.

offroad said:
Used to fish a lot. Thinking of the end game. Food will need to be frozen or eaten immediately. So good for a meal or two for the traveler. Then what? Can someone live on seasonal trout streams or other fish?

That depends on how good you are at fishing! I am very good at it but might still starve if I had to depend on it to live. Some parts of the year are just not that great for catching.