First Time Out!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lulu

Reaction score
so, I did it!!
I took my first little trip out in my mini van conversion.
just testing the waters, SO FUN!!
I've been watching Bob's videos and plenty of other's videos, learning all about setting up.
I bought a Dodge Grand Caravan.
I hired a carpenter to rip out all the back seats, up and out.
he built me a wood floor with three access doors to the deep storage where the seats used to hide away.
using all I learned from youtube videos, I built out the back, using all things I had, repurposing things, and thrift store finds.
and off I went!
I'm a 59yo woman and have a little ways to go to retire (if I decide to hold out that long).
anyway, I went on my first trip this week to a campground in Harold Parker State Forest in Andover, MA.
don't laugh but it's only about 10 miles from my home!! LOL
I wanted to be in my comfort zone, location-wise.
as I was out of my comfort zone, with the untested van set-up and being all alone in the forest.
I went for two nights.
can I just say . . . I LOVED IT!! I LOVED IT!! I LOVED IT!!
I loved being alone.
I loved the silence.
I loved the simplicity.
I loved being unplugged from wi-fi.
I loved being challenged with inconveniences.
I loved all my pretty things in my tiny home on wheels, it was so fun to learn about it, plan it out, and actually manifest it!!
I loved the amazing night's sleep (I'm a great sleeper, but I never knew this level of deep comfortable sleep, in the silence, OMG!!)
I loved roughing it and making do.
I was not afraid.
in 48 hours time, I experienced hot weather, cold weather, rain, and a thunder/lightning storm.
I was provided all this to experience and I handled each scenario so well, just rolled with it.
how nice that a man in the next site came over and invited me to his camp during the storm, he had just put on a pot of coffee, how nice was he?
he also helped me the next day when I couldn't get my new butane stove to work, I thought I bought a lemon, but I was doing it wrong.
people are good.
anyway, I'm back home, back to work, and planning my next venture out!!
thanks Bob for your inspiration.
thanks to so many of you for your inspiration!!
YAY!!!

Sounds absolutely beautiful, congratulations! I spent the day with friends who are doing the same thing, it was truly revelatory.

What a wonderful introduction to van camping! So happy for you!

Excellent, starting with baby steps and finding out what you like, what works or not and enjoying the experiment. Good on you.

What a great way to start! I did the same thing my first time out alone!
I went to a State park about 7 miles from my home!
I figured that if I hated it I could climb into the drivers seat and go home!
I too loved it and have been camping alone for the last 9 years!
Good luck on the new build! I'm on my third!

hello again!!
so I'm off again, second time out, camping in my new van.
first time out (last week) was 10 miles from home.
second time out is about 35 miles from home, so I'm getting daring (LOL)!!!
I'm looking forward to another two days alone in the woods.
still tweaking my set up before I try any stealth parking camping.
this is so fun!!
I love my van.
:)

Start a blog. An idea that may work for you. It has for me.

Write for yourself. It can be liberating.

You don’t need to write for an audience.

Just some thoughts about your journey. And don’t be afraid of people judging you. Their comments can be negative. But you can set up your blog so readers can’t comment. That way your good feelings about yourself will remain good feelings.

And it is possible that you may inspire others.

The best to you.

Matildas mate said:
Start a blog. An idea that may work for you. It has for me.

thanks for the advice.
but I wouldn't know where to begin!!!
how do you start a blog?
lol

Wordpress.com is probably the most popular blog platform. It is free for the basic service (with ads) and pretty cheap for the next service level (without ads). Not difficult to set up. There are probably websites and youtube videos to help with getting started.

Lulu, are you headed north, south or west? I'm in north central MA. zi thought you might be in my neighborhood, or close.

Actually, though, I'm in ME until next Sunday.

Congrats on the successful first time out. Many of us can relate.

cyndi said:
Lulu, are you headed north, south or west? I'm in north central MA. zi thought you might be in my neighborhood, or close.

hi cyndi!!
I was at Pearl Hill State Forest in West Townsend, sorta north central but more east-ish!!  lol

I had such a wonderful time.
perfect weather!!
even the rainy patch felt perfect!!
I felt centered and peaceful.
even enjoyed a visit from a friend, we took a long walk together and we sat in the forest and studied the Tao together.
I'm back home and ready to head into the big city of Boston to work.
sometimes I have to remember I still work!! LOL

Lulu: It is nice to read of your careful steps to success, and to share your joy in the journey. Your words will encourage some to step further out on a new wonderful path. Also importantly, they may remind others who have had grand adventures but currently are not able to be far from their home base responsibilities that smaller adventures can meet soul needs, and recharge us. Thank you. Sometimes I roast marshmallows in my kitchen.  Best wishes as you stretch your wings!

A belated congratulations! I'm so glad to hear about people near me doing this too. Usually it's all about the West. :)

I'm building mind now. Maiden voyage in my (incomplete) van next week.

Lulu, your enthusiasm is contagious!
Thank you and safe travels.

so I took the leap, from camping to road trip.
headed out from Boston, destination Fairfield, Iowa.
drove through Mass, NY, Penn, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, to Iowa.
my 30yr daughter goes to school there, at the Maharishi University.
I took off by myself is my minivan camper.
WOW!! what an experience.
it took me three days to get there, I spent three day there, and I spent three days traveling back.
I slept at Service Plaza (rest stops/truck stop), whatever you call them.
it worked out beautifully!!
when I got to the school, I was going to get a room, but I was enjoying my van so I slept in my van in the parking lot of her dorm room.
her and I really enjoyed our visit.
and I truly enjoyed the journey!!

roadtripping in a camper van and camping in a camper van are two different experiences.
I am in the process of tweaking up my arrangement to better suit roadtripping.
I look forward to my next journey/adventure . . . whatever/whenever that may be!!!