Finished Tony Hillerman long ago.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcal

Reaction score
Read most of Hiassen. On number 8 of the Longmire series, and it is getting old. I bought all 11 books, so I will read them. Getting to seem like the same story, over and over, with a good deal of shooting, freezing, drowning or otherwise abusing the sheriff protagonist thrown in for spice. Oh, and Indian spirits. 

I can read Doss, but just one book at a time with breaks in between. The author writes about The Big Ute as if he (the author) is a 14 yr old girl with a crush.

Any suggestions as to new authors?

G m ford. First one is called "who in the hell is Wanda fuca". Hilarious. Black humor with a sociological environmental bite.

Nevada Barr. Especially the earlier ones. "Track of the cat" is set in Guadalupe national park Texas. All her books are set in parks and her protagonist is a ranger.

M L Rowland. Murder on the beaten path. Search and rescue stuff. Fun. I will look for more of hers

Nancy bee

I'll second the recommendation for Nevada Barr novels. A strong, likable (but not cliche) female Park Service LEO stars in every book but, because each is set in a different park, you do not get the repetition of many books series like you have experienced. She goes into a lot of detail about the parks (which may bore you or thrill you).

Thinking of other books read long ago, if you enjoy adventure books set over a WIDE number of locations (vs westerns), consider Tim Cahill. He's a longtime Montana resident who writes great travel features for Outside (a founding writer). But his travel writing is international and always has a lot of humor -- consider a couple of his book titles: Pass the Butterworms and Pecked to Death by Ducks. Based on his real adventures.

For mystery and some Native American theme (albeit the eastern Algonquin), try Thomas Perry's series featuring Jane Whitefield. She helps good people in trouble "disappear" to save their lives. The first one I think is Vanishing Act.

John D Macdonald. Travis McGee for president.

Wilbur Smith. Read 'River God' and 'The Seventh Scroll' in that order. I challenge anybody to read those two books and then attempt to not read the rest of his writings which number about 25. 'Birds of prey' and 'monsoon' are excellent reads too.

Clive cussler was a favorite of mine but are so predicable, When is the next car chase with a classic car being pursued by a modern high horsepower vehicle? I do not really enjoy CCs collaborations with other authors.

Gary Jennings' book Aztec is another favorite read of mine. It has been a decade since i last read it, could be time again.

This certainly provides some options. I am going to bookmark this page as it will probably slip off the Today's Posts list before I finish the 3 more Longmire books I have loaded.

Try out the Flashman books by George MacDonald Fraser. I think there are 9 or 10 of them. They are non-PC historical fiction set in the 19th century. Flashman is a coward and a womanizer, and he ends up hilariously participating in and living through most of the famous battles of the century... usually on the losing side. You can even learn a little history while you're at it!

Anything by John Grisham.  Isaac Asimov.  The Hobbit J. R. R. Tolkien.  Lucifer's Hammer, and Footfall by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle.

I'm on a classics kick these days - I just downloaded about a dozen books by Thomas Hardy and Sinclair Lewis to my Kindle.
There's a reason people still read them even after all these years.   Human nature is unchanged.  Good stuff.

James Lee Burke. He has two series of books that span from the late 1800's to present. Laid back but a lot of violent scenes. They take place in Texas, Wyoming, and New Orleans. Very good reads that will keep you hooked. Robert B. Parker did the Spenser series. Both authors write mystery novels.

I like James Lee burke's Louisiana books a lot. Very evocative writing. You can smell the swamp.

If you are looking for something different, Darkly Dreaming Dexter was different. There's also a series that I can't quite remember that was about a cliche PI, but it was written quite well. I disliked it, but was considered good series by many and I can see why. It was popular and lots of used paperbacks still available. I'll try to remember.

I remembered! Just before my head hit the pillow, which is pretty typical. The Prey series by John Sandford. Rules of Prey is the first one. There are 25 so far. The first book I read wasn't a heavy read, but there were a lot of intertwining relationships and that put me off. I prefer a more black and white, good guy vs bad guy scenario without all the emotional and/or political drama.

I love Nevada Barr character Anna Pigeon ... great stories.  I had about 15 of her pb books, just sold 'em or I would have sent 'em to you.  If you like detective types, Robert Crais is good author his character Joe Pike and also his character Elvis Cole.

You've received many suggestions, if you want a change from the norm try this fantasy series with an edge author Kim Harrison has the Rachel Morgan series ... Bounty hunter witch. I was skeptical but pleasantly surprised; I've read most of them and find them wildly entertaining, thoughtfully written.

I love murder mysteries, but not a lot of violence :D :huh: :D

A favorite is John Lescroart, who writes about cops and lawyers in San Francisco, has a bunch of them, Involved characters over several books.

Paul Doiron writes about Maine game warden Mike Bowditch. There's just a few books-4 or 5- so he better get busy--I really like his writing and I'm waiting for the next ones :p
and

Louise Penny, who writes of Chief Inspector Armond Gamache of Canada--wonderful murder mysteries. And I just found they have introduced: Minotaur Books is pleased to invite you to THE NATURE OF THE FEAST, recipes from the world of Three Pines. We’re showcasing a recipe from each of the books as we prepare for the August 30th release of the new book, A GREAT RECKONING.

I came here because I've finished with these, and badly need another wonderful author.
Thanks for the suggestions.