Find Local Stealth Laws??(Parking, Living, Sleeping, Camping)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critter

Reaction score
I was noticing that some van dwellers really know the local laws when it comes to where they can and can't park. I read that being "attached" to a building was not allowed in someone's town but they could connect to power just not water. I've read there is different laws for commercially zoned property. Even things like how there is a legal difference between parking a van and parking a van that is registered as an RV.

I figured it was knowledge acquired by hard knocks, but I see people saying to check your local laws. So my question is, where can I check the laws on parking, living, sleeping, and camping in the cities I am visiting?  Also, suggestions on questions that I should try and find the answers to could be helpful.

Thank you

Agree with OP. It really shouldn't be that hard to find, but it is. It is usually buried and takes too much time.

I've had good luck finding regulations by googling "[name of city] municiple code"

Example:
http://qcode.us/codes/sanbruno/
Look at title 4.52

Also parking regulations, namely how long you can stay in the same place. Note that regulations often vary quite a bit from one city to another within the same metro area.

It shouldn't be too hard to find any homeless rights or homeless aid groups in any particular area.  I would expect that the people running them would have a pretty good idea of what the local laws are, as well as how stringent the local authorities are enforcing them.

If at all possible, donate a few bucks or some canned goods to them as a thank you for explaining them to you.

Regards
John

A general rule of thumb, that's worked for me: if the local Walmart and/or Cracker Barrel allow overnighting then there isn't a local law against it. That doesn't necessarily mean you won't be bothered.

I don't think finding the laws helps much because you still don't know if they enforce it or how strictly they enforce it. Often it;s enforced at Walmart and nowhere else or it's not enforced at all.

1) I think the best way to find out is to call ahead and ask at a Walmart. If it's not enforced there it's not enforced anywhere.
2) Call the local PD and tell them you will be visiting for a few days don't want to break any laws; can you sleep on the streets anywhere?
3) Call the local hospital and tell them you are from out of town and ask about staying there while your friend is in for surgery.
4) Call the local Chamber of Commerce and ask about sleeping on the streets or at local parks.

Bob

I rarely even check, I just try to find a parking place where nobody will complain.

I've had great success staying in places where it was illegal, and I am not typically any thing close to a stealth camper. I think the harder you try to hide the more noticeable you are.

Lot of city or county web sites are very difficult to navigate to find that sort of info. Some towns put signs up all over saying no overnight. If you eliminate places to stay based on a law saying you can't, you're going to limit yourself a lot. I tend to go by the intent of the rules, which is to keep out the bad apples. Be a good apple. Obviously don't park under a no parking sign! lol I do agree about checking with homeless groups. If you're in a non stealth rig, go for the usual spots, like 24 hr places, auto parts or mechanic's lot, hospital. Even if it's not allowed, those kinds of places would be okay. I don't know if the Chamber of Commerce would be upfront. They'd probably suggest an rv park.

Here is an interesting report from the National Law Center on Homelessness & poverty
http://www.nlchp.org/documents/No_Safe_Place

There is a chart starting on page 47 that shows cities and states along with links to their ordinances related to homelessness which includes sleeping in vehicles.

Have been reading a book about stealth van camping lifestyle. Interesting attitude on keeping below the radar and being in invisible forever. Just the idea of the old man in a van by the river is such a scary society myth. Some crazy mom with kids points at you and screams "crack dealer!!!" and you end up with hell on earth from the local untrained police nazi (stupid or actual local issue -who is to know).

It is funny how perception works. It is ok to be down by the river, at the park or the Town square during the day with your doors open,  poptop up cooking a meal, lounging or sipping a cuppa. Your a tourist, a traveller, the locals will be chatty, helpful, interested. However when the sun goes down it is a whole different story. 

Flying k. - when the sun is down you are a meth lab trying to corrupt ten year olds. Being pointed out by soccer moms as a terrorist. Merica!!