FINALLY!!! I am on the Road...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacedredd

Reaction score
It's been 3 years since I have posted anything here. I started out w/an old Rockwood 29' RV. That was a complete mess. Now I didn't pay that much for it either so...

Anyway this last January, before COVID-19 was hitting the US, I was monitoring info coming out of the CCP. I was blessed w/a couple of developments from the VA. Some determinations were made, and I came out ahead that altered my lifestyle.  It took 5 months to resolve several issues and gather the right resources ensured certain responsibilities were taken care of.   On 30 May I officially became a NOMAD!!! I left the great State of Texas for places cooler in the Summer.

I set up a system for a single person to operate and move w/the seasons. Comfortable, space, and very spartan.

Right now I need to set up a power system... Solar, generator, battery, battery back up.  The rig I have has 30amp capability, but its been stepped down to 110. My only source of off grid power is the battery in my p/u.  Don't have to use much power as long as I am in 70 degrees or lower. I do have a portable a/c but I need to plug in for that.

Water, I've got to set up water filtration system for clean drinking water. Getting directly from nature, or a water hose at a gas station.

Oh yeah...  Defiantly want to set up a Fantastic Fan!!!

Of course I need to be resource minded. I'm on a fixed income from the VA, so $$$ is limited.
Currently I'm in WY visiting my adult kids. I have not seen them in 2 years so I will be here until the end of June.  I am looking going to UT at the end of June to visit more family. Eventually I need to make my way out to N. CA to visit my Mom. I'm waiting to see if the current upheaval will subside before head outside the Mountain West.

Also...  Can anyone clue me in on any rendezvous over this Summer and Fall? Would love to meet this community in person or as close to person vs COVID19 as possible.

Anyway, looking forward to meeting you all either here or IRL.

Cary
101887995_10221045373138438_1707539290193395712_n.jpg

Attachments

• 101887995_10221045373138438_1707539290193395712_n.jpg
    101887995_10221045373138438_1707539290193395712_n.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 31
Very interesting, using a truck camper on a trailer vs in the bed of a truck?

Spacedredd said:
The rig I have has 30amp capability, but its been stepped down to 110. 

Welcome back and glad things took a turn for the better for you.

All RV's with 30 amp service are 110VAC.  They have a special plug rated for this amperage.  You can run off a 20 or even a 15 AMP outlet, but you will be limited on what you can run.  When you step up to 50 amps is where you get 220VAC.

I am sort of where you are. I am waiting for my trailer annual reg sticker and my revised voter registration to turn up and then I am off. Over to Jackson, Wyoming to try and find a seasonal job and cool off for the summer. Then down to Quartszite for the winter unless something else crops up. I am so looking forward to meeting others like me. Tired of being alone all the time.

Rhianntp said:
What happened with the 29ft rv?
I was able to sell it, use the proceeds to fund going up to WY.  I did want to blow it up w/tanerite... :p  However, I couldn't a safe place .  I put it on FB and it sold the same day. It was truly a blessing.

Rhianntp said:
Very interesting,  using a truck camper on a trailer vs in the bed of a truck?

The price for the connecting the cabover to the frame  of the p/u was $600+, I found a trailer company w/an 8'x5' trailer in San Antonio for $875...  I am looking for a camper shell for the p/u and that will be long term storage, tools, and extra equipment, etc...

rvwandering said:
Welcome back!
The tentative date for resuming HOWA caravans is the end of the month. Check the meetup site for future developments - https://www.meetup.com/caravans/events
In the meantime, you can participate in the virtual caravans and perhaps meet some people to camp with.

I apologize but I will need some training on meetup. I have an account, but I don't how to get connected....

Spacedredd said:
I apologize but I will need some training on meetup. I have an account, but I don't how to get connected....
I figured it out.......

Spacedredd said:
The price for the connecting the cabover to the frame  of the p/u was $600+, I found a trailer company w/an 8'x5' trailer in San Antonio for $875...  I am looking for a camper shell for the p/u and that will be long term storage, tools, and extra equipment, etc...
I really like both ideas :thumbsup: