Feedback on "work from home" jobs..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a)
We workkamp a small organic teaching farm near the outskirts of Eugene, Oregon.
We share the acreage with a couple-three dozen other workkampers in various versions of home-built rigs and RecreateVehicles.
Some days, we are on-duty two hours.
Other days, we might put in four or five hours.
b)
After a half-century of make-do camping in lesser rigs, we built our ExpeditionVehicle.
I was going to try this but had some health issues that let me know I have to have some "comforts" at my age, comforts I can't afford in an RV. I used to be able to camp-out in something makeshift, or did a lot of tent-camping. Can't do it anymore :( You are staying close to where I was raised, love the Willamette Valley, you are very fortunate :) The garden to work in, just those hours would be wonderful.

Could something like our rig work for you?
Didn’t see this mentioned, but any additional income you generate will cause your rent to increase, and savings sufficient to buy an RV may also be problematic to HUD, so take a close look at your financial reporting rules.

Might stop in at your Senior Center, too, and see what kind of skills-improvement classes may be available free or at low cost there.

Also might consider some volunteer work, to get yourself out there and amongst others.

Good luck.
Yes, I'm aware of all of this. I can earn more without going over a certain amount, to keep my SS, but my rent would go up. If I make over what is considered low enough income, I would have to move, but nothing would please me more. I'm getting up in years though, so I may be able to make extra income, but probably not enough to keep me out of HUD housing again in the pretty near future.

I'm doing all I can to stay healthy, and able-bodied as long as I can and working something that keeps me moving, rather than sitting on my butt too long at a computer would be good. I guess it will just have to be the one day at a time so I don't get so scared I'll have to be a recluse ;)

GOldengirl

I'm sure some of the offerings are changing post-pandemic. But during those times many of the courses were totally free with the "catch" that they wanted $25 to $50 dollars for the certificate you earned. Still many would feel that that's pocket change to have something to verify your skills in a job interview.

A lot of this stuff was discussed in this thread back in 2020 and there were some ideas for real world jobs in it too. But "Remote Learning & Work" has become a thing just like being proficient with a Cell Phone & app's today:

Education & Skills needed to work online from your Rig

Facebook has groups for those wanting to get into SQL MySQL like this one:

Learn SQL (SQL Server, MySQL & Oracle)

But you can search in FB for SQL MySQL and find a few groups with course offerings there too

GOldengirl

I'm sure some of the offerings are changing post-pandemic. But during those times many of the courses were totally free with the "catch" that they wanted $25 to $50 dollars for the certificate you earned. Still many would feel that that's pocket change to have something to verify your skills in a job interview.

A lot of this stuff was discussed in this thread back in 2020 and there were some ideas for real world jobs in it too. But "Remote Learning & Work" has become a thing just like being proficient with a Cell Phone & app's today:

Education & Skills needed to work online from your Rig

Facebook has groups for those wanting to get into SQL MySQL like this one:

Learn SQL (SQL Server, MySQL & Oracle)

But you can search in FB for SQL MySQL and find a few groups with course offerings there too
I'm still super interested in this eDJ,

I'll check your link. I agree that 39 bucks would be nothing for me to afford, but I was wondering how many months of education I would need. The initial link said the one class was just 14 hours, how in-depth it goes, I don't know yet, didn't read that far. Yes, wherever I lived in a rig I would need to be "not off-grid" and close to a Grocery Store. I know I have a lot of needs, but I'm a T2 Diabetic and I eat strictly Ketogenic diet so a good freezer is super important for my meats, and other food. I don't do carbs except very low ones like garden-green vegies (brussels, broc. and spinach mainly). Lots of dairy, fish too when I find some good buys.

My site wouldn't come up on any of my 3 browsers for a time. I am back now as you can see. I filled out an application for a job way down into California so we'll see if anything comes of that. I did more of an introduction letter as they just wanted to be contacted if interested. Anyway, it could be a good deal for me, housing provided etc. I'll let you all know what I hear back, if I hear back ;)

I don't understand how it would help me to take the course without having some proof I completed it though @Morgana. Also, I still think I have to have a lot more education to actually use "SQL" as one of my skills. I googled "what jobs can I get with SQL skills", and they were all about things way over my abilities. Not one simple data entry job. I think it's pretty clear my lack of education. I've done data entry jobs, just plug in the info from paperwork onto the Access, or some companies own software.

I'm also thinking if I was to go for a degree, even 2 year, I'd be even older! Time is flying by now and are people my age getting hired for these types of jobs if they aren't loaded with experience, and a degree?
Hi. I've been in Information Technology for 30 years. I do not have a degree. I suggest udemy.com for an online SQL course or anything else software-related. It's usually very inexpensive. Every area where I wanted to learn more for a particular job, I learned through Udemy courses. 😁 They're inexpensive and usually much faster than college courses. I had to learn the Google language and suite of tools for my last job, so took a boot camp course for that. It was on sale for twelve dollars and helped immensely.

Hi. I've been in Information Technology for 30 years. I do not have a degree. I suggest udemy.com for an online SQL course or anything else software-related. It's usually very inexpensive. Every area where I wanted to learn more for a particular job, I learned through Udemy courses. 😁 They're inexpensive and usually much faster than college courses. I had to learn the Google language and suite of tools for my last job, so took a boot camp course for that. It was on sale for twelve dollars and helped immensely.
Wow, good for you Willow! I will take a look. If you've used it over and over again that says a lot for the site. There are so many to choose from I was gettin dizzy ;) Thanks much!!

I really like the idea of taking a class "first" because if I can complete a course that will give me a heck of a lot more confidence in applying for jobs :)

Last edited:
Ok, I think this one fits me because there are zero prerequisites, and I have had jobs where I used database programs. The last classes I took were in 2013 and I scored high on all my homework including Math up and into algebra. When it came to tests in Math though, I had some bad-ass anxiety hit taking tests and literally couldn't stop shaking. I did all my homework at home though and never had any anxiety.

I guess it will depend on what kind of job-environment I might get into. More independent work I would hope for, especially working from home. Feedback welcome if anyone wants to look at what I'm thinking of taking. Any advice is very welcome, Denise

here's the link: Learn SQL Beginner to Advanced Level

Harvard and MIT have offered free courses for a long time. I did a search for SQL on Harvard's edX site and discovered many universities offer free online courses. Here are the search results for SQL at Harvard:

https://www.edx.org/search?q=sql
If it helps, MIT has a free class called "Mathematics for Computer Science". You don't even have to register. Just download the course. Looked too hard for me:D

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/6-042j-mathematics-for-computer-science-spring-2015/
Then there is Khan Academy which is for grades K-12 plus entry level college courses. Here is their Computing page. It offers
Intro to SQL: Querying and managing data

https://www.khanacademy.org/computing

, I'm selling myself short, I could live to be 100 with my luck:LOL:

There, I finally came up with a resume ;)
LOL
what is the purpose here? money for survival or do you NEED life connection, sense of purpose, out of the house and SOME human interaction? A p/t job can do that but also volunteer work can do that too. Key being, you gotta make that first move GG. You gotta step out ya know and put the feeler out in what area ya want. Meals on Wheels? Got a church you can volunteer and get companionship in a general charity cause? Just go to the local supermarket and say ya wanna be a bagger. Don't take much for that.

Key being, what do you truly want? How ya wanna roll in it all and what do you need to function best. I feel ya grabbing for something, so what is it and how can we direct ya more toward it............NOW NOT coming off preachy or whatever, but seen posts from ya before and feel you are needing a direction ya know? sayin' this all in a nice way :) :)

Harvard and MIT have offered free courses for a long time. I did a search for SQL on Harvard's edX site and discovered many universities offer free online courses. Here are the search results for SQL at Harvard:

https://www.edx.org/search?q=sql
If it helps, MIT has a free class called "Mathematics for Computer Science". You don't even have to register. Just download the course. Looked too hard for me:D

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/6-042j-mathematics-for-computer-science-spring-2015/
Then there is Khan Academy which is for grades K-12 plus entry level college courses. Here is their Computing page. It offers
Intro to SQL: Querying and managing data

https://www.khanacademy.org/computing
Thanks much for all the info, after I look into all of these I will make a decision. I loved Math, wouldn't mind doing that one just for fun!!

LOL
what is the purpose here? money for survival or do you NEED life connection, sense of purpose, out of the house and SOME human interaction? A p/t job can do that but also volunteer work can do that too. Key being, you gotta make that first move GG. You gotta step out ya know and put the feeler out in what area ya want. Meals on Wheels? Got a church you can volunteer and get companionship in a general charity cause? Just go to the local supermarket and say ya wanna be a bagger. Don't take much for that.

Key being, what do you truly want? How ya wanna roll in it all and what do you need to function best. I feel ya grabbing for something, so what is it and how can we direct ya more toward it............NOW NOT coming off preachy or whatever, but seen posts from ya before and feel you are needing a direction ya know? sayin' this all in a nice way :) :)
Not sure, but I think I explained that in the OP. But two main things are too low-income to do some things I want to, and boredom causing depression. I'm not creative with art, crafts, and I want to be outdoors so maybe get to better climates, buy a decent comfy RV so I can travel a little.

I've been reading a lot this a.m. and the thought had crossed my mind on how much education/experience, other than a basic knowledge of SQL, I would need to land a job. So I did a few searches and see jobs where I would need SQL knowledge, but also call for a lot more education/experience than I have. It just seems to me having an SQL certificate with my limited work-history, and experience isn't going to do much if anything at all.

I'm just realistic and even with that 2 years of good grades (2011-2013) at a community college didn't land me a job. If I'd had a good work-history, a lot more stability in my life, I would not be in the situation I am today.

Maybe I'm not seeing something but I think the only jobs I "might" be hired for are going to be some sort of manual labor, or a very limited clerical position. I know there are plenty of people out there, my age and older, doing jobs, some in jobs they've had for 50 years. I wasn't that smart to stick with anything, and yes, sometimes I just wasn't fortunate enough to be chosen so I could prove myself at times.

It's fun to learn new things (classes), but I will be looking for something that I stand a chance with what knowledge/experience I do have. I think temp agencies might be the best way to go and there are a few near me. I'll be calling them this a.m. Thanks everyone for your help and there might come a time I can grab some of the classes that have been mentioned, but only if I can apply what I learn to a job. I mean seriously, I'm 70 years old and have to use the wisdom I've been able to gain, mostly from mistakes :)

Might register at your local temp agency, who may have short term positions that don’t require high levels of skill but would get you out amongst others and bring in some needed cash,

Remember, what they want and what they can get are two different things. Also, there are programs that subsidize businesses who take on those like yourself and train them while on the job. If you visit the job service in your state ( State of California Job Service gov ) they may know of such places where you could find employment.

I was reading a post yesterday where an 80+ year old retired tow boat captain found a part time job as a relief pilot. He said he was just tired of sitting around. :)

Remember, what they want and what they can get are two different things. Also, there are programs that subsidize businesses who take on those like yourself and train them while on the job. If you visit the job service in your state ( State of California Job Service gov ) they may know of places where you could find employment.

I was reading a post yesterday where an 80+ year old retired tow boat captain found a part time job as a relief pilot. He said he was just tired of sitting around. :)
I will call now and see if there is some way to apply locally, as we don't have a Workforce Center in this town, not that I've found. I called one day before yesterday, and they assured me they were emailing me info, etc. I didn't get anything so called them back yesterday and the guy apologized all over the place but gave excuses why it wasn't sent to me. I said it was ok and could he help me today, and he again failed to send it.

Thank you for the link, I'll call now like I said, and get back to you :)

The AARP has employment connections for seniors. Look at the website to see what is there.

Pursue landing one of those remote work data entry jobs you said might suit you.

Last edited:
Ok Maki, that makes sense. Good info on the AARP job reference as well. I'm not a member but I'll take a look and see if I have to be. Thanks again :)

There are a lot of different ways to make money. Consider some of the freelance and gig work. This is just a site that has a list of other sites and apps to find gigs and jobs that might work for you. There are more sites, apps, and gigs. You can even look at the gigs section on your local Craigslist.

Fiver and task rabbit are popular.

I know of someone making decent money with task rabbit.
Being a virtual assistant can play to your strengths. And you can always learn more skills as you find there is more demand and better pay for them.

https://www.flexjobs.com/guide-freelance-gig-job-platforms/tasks
https://www.flexjobs.com/guide-freelance-gig-job-platforms

There are a lot of different ways to make money. Consider some of the freelance and gig work. This is just a site that has a list of other sites and apps to find gigs and jobs that might work for you. There are more sites, apps, and gigs. You can even look at the gigs section on your local Craigslist.

Fiver and task rabbit are popular.

I know of someone making decent money with task rabbit.
Being a virtual assistant can play to your strengths. And you can always learn more skills as you find there is more demand and better pay for them.

https://www.flexjobs.com/guide-freelance-gig-job-platforms/tasks
https://www.flexjobs.com/guide-freelance-gig-job-platforms
I did find Upwork yesterday which was listed as a top site for freelance, and also fiverr although I didn't look at it. My biggest issue is to put together a resume. I can easily list my skills, but unfortunately, I cleaned out my files from 10 years ago and there went my old resumes. I may still find them which would help me immensely. I think it is the SS department that can run a check on my work history?? I can check with them on I think Tues. or Monday if they are open, weird hours down there.

Thanks for the input, I'm exploring all I can find :)