Favorite road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highdesertranger

R.I.P HDR
Reaction score
I got this idea from another thread,

What is your favorite road to drive?

mine would be US 395 from Kramer Jct to the Oregon-Washington border. 1,000+ miles of beauty. highdesertranger

Like tx2sturgis said elsewhere ... Needles Highway in South Dakota is a really beautiful road!
I'll be on the 395 headed north from San Bernardino in about two weeks [sooner if it quits raining] ...
I'll have to make a comparison!
Thx for posting this Q! :)

A bit different perspective...only 11 miles long but with 318 curves/turns.  US 129 at Tennessee/North Carolina border; Deals Gap.
Beautiful Smoky Mountain scenery [when making the non 'white knuckle' run].

https://tailofthedragon.com/

Not exactly suited for Van/RV travel...unless hauling a motorcycle!   :p

How soon would you say I'd be able to do 395 all the way north?

Want to do it but end date for the Canadian border is April 15th this year - so I can come back in October next year!   :D

I'm dying to get on 395, but I don't know if the Californians would tolerate my wussy, white-knuckle driving. I might take a loop up 95, 6, 395 back down to SoCal when I'm exploring this summer.

Almost There you could do 395 right now, weather permitting. from Bishop north it could snow at anytime this time of year. check your weather reports, it will be cold. highdesertranger

Thanks HDR - cold I can handle...it's the snow that worries me.

I took a look at elevations and parts of it are above 10,000 ft. Figured I'd be best to wander around Nevada up as far as Reno before heading over to 395 but don't want to miss the beauty!

Oh and to stay on topic...I've so many favorites - Skyline Drive in Shenandoah NP, Blue Ridge Parkway, Natchez Trace, Route 66! Parts of the Trans Canada in BC, Sea to Sky highway north of Vancouver Hwy 101 and 1 down the pacific coast.

There's so much beauty I've yet to see!

My favorite is SH 550 (Million Dollar Highway) in Colorado between Durango, through Silverton to Ouray. Can't get enough. Never did it on a motorcycle though.

Conway summit between Lee Vining and Bridgeport is the highest point on 395, elevation 8,143. highdesertranger

My favorite road:

I don't recall the name of it, but it is an avenue in Savannah GA. Lots of very old Live Oak trees along both sides, overhanging the street to form a sort of tunnel, draped with Spanish Moss and with old antebellum houses on both sides.

A lovely street in a lovely city.

:)

johnny b said:
A bit different perspective...only 11 miles long but with 318 curves/turns.  US 129 at Tennessee/North Carolina border; Deals Gap.
Beautiful Smoky Mountain scenery [when making the non 'white knuckle' run].

https://tailofthedragon.com/

Not exactly suited for Van/RV travel...unless hauling a motorcycle!   :p

Drug my knees there many times, along with the "Hellbender". https://roadtrippers.com/stories/hellbender-28

Near LA California, the Angeles Crest is a sweet knee dragger road too.

As far as a peaceful, leisurely drive my fave is the Natchez Trace. For scenery, the Blue Ridge parkway can't be beat. IMHO

Chip

County Road 1A between Colorado 69 and US 50 at Cotopaxi CO.  Not the most beautiful drive, nor the curviest nor hilliest.  Don't know why I love that drive, just do.  It's a little strange, the geography changes around each curve,  and once a big ole (rattle?) snake was slithering across and I fully intended to run it over but a (rare) car was coming from the opposite direction and I couldn't swerve over to get it.

I love that road.  Also US 50 along the Arkansas River, although it can get busy and more people along it than used to be.

For just plain excitement, Red Mountain Pass, Colorado.

highdesertranger said:
mine would be US 395 from Kramer Jct to the Oregon-Washington border. 1,000+ miles of beauty.

Then US 101 from Astoria, OR to Ventura, CA.

The Kank (AKA the Kancamangus Highway) in New Hampshire. There's a section known as Moose Alley. It's almost impossible to not see moose.

Great thread, HDR!

Mine would be a toss up between deals gap AKA the dragon or 116 which is in Tennessee not far from deals gap. It’s just as good as the gap without the traffic. I’ve always loved my vans and motorcycles as they go together so well. Load up the van and trailer then drive until I decide I wanna ride. I’m looking to find a good place to park/camp the van and trailer where I am somewhere in between 116 & deals gap. Or at least somewhat close to one of the 2. Nothing like camping and riding.

Latest posts